• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Javed Miandad VS Dennis Lillee

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Some contemporary quotes - any guesses as to who made them?

"To kick the batsman when he wasn't looking was the act of a spoiled, angry child"

"I believe in an eye for an eye if someone starts it"

"Javed Miandad is no angel. He's an irritating little character who keeps baiting people. But it's a bit of a joke Greg Chappell complaining about people who bait"

The answers comprise one of the participants, a former England captain and a former Australian captain

salman85

International Debutant
a is Benaund
b is Miandad.
c is Botham

The incident itself,is shameful.What i found hilarous was the way Lillee hopped back with a clentched fist when Javed raised his bat.Lillee was clearly at fault here as far as the physical aspect goes.Wether some words were spoken before this incident took place is something i'm not aware of,but i'm assuming something was said.

Last edited:

fredfertang

a is Benaund
b is Miandad.
c is Botham

The incident itself,is shameful.What i found hilarous was the way Lillee hopped back with a clentched fist when Javed raised his bat.Lillee was clearly at fault here as far as the physical aspect goes.Wether some words were spoken before this incident took place is something i'm not aware of,but i'm assuming something was said.
All wrong I'm afraid, which of course confirms b. as being Lillee's quote - he maintained at the time, and I suspect still does although I haven't checked, that Javed started it by digging him in the ribs, presumably with his bat, though it always struck me that if that did happen, and looking at the footage I'm not convinced it did, then any contact was accidental and hardly a dig.

salman85

International Debutant
Is one of a or c Ian Chapell?I can't decide which one incase it is him because i don't know how close he was to Greg to consider taking a dig at him.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Some contemporary quotes - any guesses as to who made them?

"To kick the batsman when he wasn't looking was the act of a spoiled, angry child"

"I believe in an eye for an eye if someone starts it"

"Javed Miandad is no angel. He's an irritating little character who keeps baiting people. But it's a bit of a joke Greg Chappell complaining about people who bait"

The answers comprise one of the participants, a former England captain and a former Australian captain
Tony Greig?

fredfertang

No flies on you guys! Ian Chappell was the first (a bit rich I thought) and Greigy was the third

Fusion

Global Moderator
YouTube - ‪Javed Miandad VS Dennis Lillee FUNNY‬‏

Incredibly I never knew about this incident seems quite funny, maybe some of the older CW'ers can provide some background to the incident.
That's one of the most [in]famous moments in Cricket. Obviously I’m biased, but I think the fault lies completely with Lillee. He kicked Miandad! It is normal to expect a reaction. Perhaps raising his bat was extreme, but Javed was a highly emotional player. Lillee of course knew that, which is why I suspect he kicked him in the first place. To get an emotional reaction out of him and throw him off his game. Anyway, here’s a recap of the incident from Cricinfo:

'One of the most undignified incidents in Test history'