• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Grade Cricket

Paddy Mc

Cricket Spectator
Hello,

I'm after a little bit help with regards to how cricket is structured in Australia. I'm basically trying to find out what sort of standard certain leagues are at . Last season we had a young lad who played second grade in Perth for Bayswater how would that level compare with someone who plays in the Dandenong District Cricket Association Turf 1 or 2 ??

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Depends, I guess.

Higher standard playing grade cricket. What a regional competition such as DDCA have though is a layer of top players who'd be better than 2nd grade in Perth - and may have played some grade cricket in their own time, but the majority would not. Also, this Perth lad might be more "potential", not have as much experience and nous as others.

But in general, I'd be sticking with the grade player more often than not. He's had more exposure to better players, better wickets, and a more competitive environment.

turnstyle

State 12th Man
I found second grade in Perth (and probably every other capital) to be a really mixed bunch compared to the other grades. I went from playing 4s to 2nds in the space of 2 weeks and was up against Sean Ervine, then the next week a bunch of hacks.

archie mac

International Coach
As with most 2nd grade cricket comps, you have two or three really good players in each team, either they are experienced 1st graders at the end of their career usually dropping back to captain the 2nds or they are on their way up. Or they on the cusp between both grades.

Perth grade cricket is strong so I imagine this bloke is a fair standard:)

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah, I guess it would depend a bit on whether or not there are two comps in Perth like there are in Sydney. From my understanding of it, in Sydney you have the grade comp (where I'd think 2nd Grade would be pretty good), and the shires comp (I played against a guy who'd been in 2nd grade shires and he was just ok...got him for a duck :happy:).

Might be worth checking out if Perth has something similar. Although if you already know who he plays for then that goes a long way to resolving the issue...