• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dhoni Vs Gilchrist in ODIs.

Dhoni or Gilly, who is the better ODI cricketer?

• Total voters

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
no, he doesn't. Have you even checked their records ?

Dhoni averages 48.8 with a S/R of 87.5

Clarke averages 44.8 at a S/R of 78.4
Are you being deliberately obtuse or have you just missed the point I was trying to make?

abmk

State 12th Man
Are you blokes genuinely suggesting Clarke has a record worth comparing to Dhoni, a guy who strikes at around 10 points more?

Would love to know a hundred of Dhoni's that cost India a match.
yeah, I'd love to know what makes them think that :

1) Gilchrist is miles ahead as an ODI cricketer

2) finishers have it very easy compared to the opening batsmen

LOL !

Spark

Global Moderator
Are you blokes genuinely suggesting Clarke has a record worth comparing to Dhoni, a guy who strikes at around 10 points more?

I'm just saying that if statistics and reality do not always match very well where ODIs are concerned. So I don't see why people are so busy trying to explain away the stats because it's just totally pointless.

benchmark00

Who negated that? But how does that take away anything from Dhoni's WC final performance???
I doesn't, but don't use Dhoni's WC final knock as a reason to rate him higher than Gilchrist when Gilchrist made a hundred against the same attack.

kingpin

State Vice-Captain
No..No..Dhoni> clarke at least in ODI's......Clarke may be technically better...But he have to improve his strike rate.......He scored 118 of 121 balls against India!....But it was White's cameo which helped Ozz to put a good score....

abmk

State 12th Man
Are you being deliberately obtuse or have you just missed the point I was trying to make?
This is being obtuse/daft :

I think their worth as batsmen in odi is miles apart. I've seen many great finishers in ODI cricket, I've only seen a few openers who are as consistent and explosive as Gilchrist.

not my rebuttal to a stupid statement that puts dhoni and clarke in the same league as ODI batsmen or something that says gilchrist is far better than dhoni in ODIs ( I can understand saying gilchrist is better, but far better, really ? )

benchmark00

You know Gilchrist strikes at ten points higher than Dhoni, right?

And Clarke has never made a hundred that has cost the game for Australia, but I'm not going to debate that because you have ridiculous opinions on the matter because you let your Clarke hate blind you.

abmk

State 12th Man
I'm just saying that if statistics and reality do not always match very well where ODIs are concerned. So I don't see why people are so busy trying to explain away the stats because it's just totally pointless.
huh, firstly he mentioned that their records are similar/close, which they are not ......

read my previous post for the rest

Top_Cat

You know who's a better ODI player than both Gilchrist and Dhoni? Sachin Tendulkar.

kingpin

State Vice-Captain
I doesn't, but don't use Dhoni's WC final knock as a reason to rate him higher than Gilchrist when Gilchrist made a hundred against the same attack.
Malinga have improved a lot from 2007 and moreover The hundred was from 1st innings......
nothing to take away from Gilly still a Very good innings!!....But When the same Malinga was on fire...he took the wickets of our openers......we were 118/3 and dhoni came in when RRR was over 6....And the pressure he had if he had failed.....This context make Dhoni's innings better than Gilly's(slightly!!!)

Bun

Banned
dont be delibertaley obtuse mate. u knw thats not wht I was saying. I am saying shoni has done incredibly well in pressure sit against worthy opp. whether gilly has done or not is beside.....

Spark

Global Moderator
dont be delibertaley obtuse mate. u knw thats not wht I was saying. I am saying shoni has done incredibly well in pressure sit against worthy opp. whether gilly has done or not is beside.....
How is it beside the point? We're comparing the merits of the two players side by side.

abmk

State 12th Man
I think point was that dhoni needed to perform in a big game ( especially in WCs ) - he hadn't done so, so that was a knock on him . He removed that blemish in the finals .

Bun

Banned
How is it beside the point? We're comparing the merits of the two players side by side.
wat?

I was pointing out to tumtum that dhoni too has had pressure knocks under his belt. it wasn't connected anyway to a gilly vs dhoni comparison.

abmk

State 12th Man
BTW I think Gilchrist's keeping is being a bit under-rated in comparision to dhoni's here. He was by some distance better.

Having said that dhoni's keeping against the spinners in recent times has been excellent, especially the quick stumpings

Spark

Global Moderator
wat?

I was pointing out to tumtum that dhoni too has had pressure knocks under his belt. it wasn't connected anyway to a gilly vs dhoni comparison.
Ah OK. About five different threads of conversation in this thread, easy to get lost at times.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
You know Gilchrist strikes at ten points higher than Dhoni, right?

And Clarke has never made a hundred that has cost the game for Australia, but I'm not going to debate that because you have ridiculous opinions on the matter because you let your Clarke hate blind you.
Haha at you saying I have ridiculous opinions. You are always at the extreme in arguments. You are never reasonable or moderate at all. It's always "this is a no contest" or "he is rubbish".

And why do you keep bigging up Gilly? I know how good he was, he walks into my all-time XI. But Dhoni is close to him as a batsman. That is beyond doubt, the guy's record is amazing, as are his performances.

And I don't genuinely think Clarke's ton vs. India single handedly cost Australia the game (It was far brilliant though, and it hurt Australia in patches), so get off your high horse. You're the one saying "it proved my point" though, which is what I don't understand.

You and Spark keep saying that Clarke "proves your point". What point is that? That scoring runs in the middle can result in a 40+ average when you're not that good? How easy is it to average close to 50 whilst striking at close to 90, which Dhoni does? It's a lot harder than what Kallis and Clarke do.

Last edited: