• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dhoni Vs Gilchrist in ODIs.

Dhoni or Gilly, who is the better ODI cricketer?

• Total voters

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Because you're the one suggesting making runs in the middle overs is worth nothing, when it actually wins teams matches as well.

You're saying they're miles apart as batsmen, which is just silly.

It's like saying Sachin and Bevan are miles apart.
I think you'll find that teams that have runs at the top of the order win more games than those who have poor starts and make runs at the end. they're definitely not equally valuable.

I think their worth as batsmen in odi is miles apart. I've seen many great finishers in ODI cricket, I've only seen a few openers who are as consistent and explosive as Gilchrist.

Spark

Global Moderator
I didn't mean it in the sense that I'd just take that average and say Hussey > Viv Richards/Ponting/Tendulkar. But again, that would be like comparing apples and oranges. The best players in that position are expected to finish games and accumulate a few more not outs in the process, and I think Hussey's average reflects how successfully he has done that.
I can't think off hand of a single player who has a similar average after a reasonable number of innings though. As you say though, it shows how bloody good he is at his job.

Off-track, though.

benchmark00

If making runs in the middle overs and leading your team to victory was a piece of cake, more players would have records like Dhoni, Hussey and Bevan.
Michael Clarke has a record as good as Dhoni, and you think he's rubbish at ODI's.

Top_Cat

I think you'll find that teams that have runs at the top of the order win more games than those who have poor starts and make runs at the end. they're definitely not equally valuable.

I think their worth as batsmen in odi is miles apart. I've seen many great finishers in ODI cricket, I've only seen a few openers who are as consistent and explosive as Gilchrist.
Not to mention, Gilchrist played some brilliant finishers knocks for WA before being picked for OZ. The guy had gears, he just wasn't asked to use them in ODI's very often.

vcs

I can't think off hand of a single player who has a similar average after a reasonable number of innings though. As you say though, it shows how bloody good he is at his job.

Off-track, though.
Missing the obvious one? :p

abmk

State 12th Man

This is supposed to be a joke , right ? 8-)

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
If only Michael Clarke could make scoring runs in the middle overs as "easy" as Dhoni obviously scores them :ph34r:

vcs

Not related to this discussion, but I reckon averages at the top of the order are also going up in a big way these days in ODIs. Check out the averages of Watto, Amla, Dilshan and Sehwag in the last 3 years. I'm afraid 15 years down the line, many of us will have a tough time arguing with someone who thinks Dilshan > Jayasuriya/Mark Waugh. :@

Spark

Global Moderator
Not related to this discussion, but I reckon averages at the top of the order are also going up in a big way these days in ODIs. Check out the averages of Watto, Amla, Dilshan and Sehwag in the last 3 years. I'm afraid 15 years down the line, many of us will have a tough time arguing with someone who thinks Dilshan > Jayasuriya/Mark Waugh. :@
Good point. Even more reason for me to make the case for just not really paying too much attention to ODI stats.

no, he doesn't. Have you even checked their records ?

Dhoni averages 48.8 with a S/R of 87.5

Clarke averages 44.8 at a S/R of 78.4
Another who has completely missed the point.

Bun

Banned
Gilchrist is more closer to Sehwag than Dhoni imho. Sehwag and Gilly are basically unburdened clear souls who aren't going to give a **** to the match situation when they roll out their games, they often perish by their own swords, but that's what expected out of them, nothing more, just play their natural game.

For Dhoni it's completely different, he has to play the roles of accumulator, destroyer, captain, pressure-man, etc which only adds to his repertoire. And he does all this at a very good SR.