• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Hayden's 380

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Glorious innings. Simple glorious. Some may rate it lower than Lara's because his was against a more serious bowling attack but so what, it was brilliant.

11 sixes for crying out loud......plus it was scored at an obscenely fast rate.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
David said:
What do you guys think?

I was there, it'll be a while to get over it..
you were there, i wish i was, saw the vast majority of it on TV, great knock, showed extreame patience, strength and stamina throughout. Gilly batted brilliantly in support too, but i really dont know how to describe it now, im gonna go and cap of my day with the rugby opening and wallabies game :)

Eclipse

International Debutant
I missed almost all of it :!(

From the highlights though it looked quite amazing. especialy 11 sixes that is very rare on Australian grounds.

He only gave one chance and that was on like 335.

And what about Gilchrist his 100 came of a lazy 84 balls taking his avrage to like 62 with a strike rate that must be close to 90 at test level now.

Eclipse

International Debutant
His last 270 runs came of 227 balls :O

Also Both he and Gilchrist scored a Hundred in the seassion between Lunch and tea that must be a first.

masterblaster

International Captain
Speechless, Absolutely Speechless!

The guy was hitting sixes like no tommorow.

Its amazing how fresh he looked even at 375*

roofromoz

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Unbelievable.

:O

But I had a feeling that if anyone was going to ever break Lara's record, it was going to be someone like Hayden.

The guy is a freak.

Well done Matty.

8D

nibbs

International Captain
Well done Hayden, but really. This is just a joke. The beating up of a ****ty nation. Everyone knows that Zimbabwe are a terrible side at the moment, and Haydens record has a real empty feeling about it. If he had of scored it against South Africa, NZ and India, perhaps there would be something to get excited about...

Mr Mxyzptlk

nibblet said:
Well done Hayden, but really. This is just a joke. The beating up of a ****ty nation. Everyone knows that Zimbabwe are a terrible side at the moment, and Haydens record has a real empty feeling about it. If he had of scored it against South Africa, NZ and India, perhaps there would be something to get excited about...
Regardless, 380 runs is 380 runs and is hard to discredit, but I agree with nibblet in that the strength of opposition does mar the achievement.

Top_Cat

Take a look at the top 5 scores of all time and, barring Lara's, all of them were scored against mediocre attacks. Using your rationale, virtually no big score is good enough to get excited about.

Hayden 380 scored against Zim - okay, not a strong bowling attack.

Lara 375 against Eng - Class knock against a very good attack including Andy Caddick, Chris Lewis, Phil Tufnel and Angus Fraser.

Gary Sobers 365* against Pakistan when they were hardly a strong side and were missing several of their decent players through injury.

Len Hutton 364 against Australia - Missing two of the better players in Bradman and Fingleton injured during the match but seeing that Stan MacCabe opened the bowling, you can imagine that the attack was fairly minimal (O'Reilly DEFINATELY excluded from that).

Jayasuriya's 340 against India - Kumble in the side but other than that, no world-class players (Prasad was a reasonable bowler but not a great as such) and the pitch was as much a road as any deck you'd ever see.

Picking a pattern here? The players, whilst greats, never attained such high scores against the top teams of their day. So considering the pop-gun nature of the attacks which have resulted in the scores above, I'd say Hayden ranks pretty well. Lara's was just an innings on another planet, though.........

Sure the strength of the opposition makes it less glossy as, say, his 203 against India but still, getting to such a high score is an amazing achievement in itself, especially at Test level.

gibbsnsmith

State Vice-Captain
after thinking about it for the last few moments..

its just not fair for me to say that it shouldnt count as much because its against zimbabwe..

because no thats not true, for any batsman to have a level of confidence for so long is just truly magnificent!

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
That England attack of 94 wasn't one of their best, but I guess it was a lot better than this Zimbabwe one!

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Top_Cat said:
Len Hutton 364 against Australia - Missing two of the better players in Bradman and Fingleton injured during the match
Bradman was good, but I dont think he'd have done much to stop Hutton!

PY

International Coach
Well done to Hayden because any score like that requires huge amounts of talent, concentration and physical endurance, even if the balls you are facing are under-arm lobs they still need to be put away without getting out. However I also understand why it should be taking with a pinch of salt because I would argue that the Zimbabwe attack is the worst in the world currently and the worst there's been for a while as well.

On a side note, the attack which Lara faced

Andy Caddick - 234 wickets @ 29
Chris Lewis - 93 wickets @ 38
Angus Fraser - 177 wickets @ 27
Phil Tufnell - 121 @ 38

Total of 625 Test wickets between them.....can't have been too shoddy.:)

Langeveldt

Soutie
Last night i said to Rik on msn that Hayden was the best batsman in the world... Unfortunatly that fell on deaf ears, I hope he eats his words!
I feel sorry for Zimbabwe though, they dont need this or deserve it...

Mr Mxyzptlk

Langeveldt said:
Last night i said to Rik on msn that Hayden was the best batsman in the world... Unfortunatly that fell on deaf ears, I hope he eats his words!
I feel sorry for Zimbabwe though, they dont need this or deserve it...
My opinion of Hayden still hasn't changed. I think he's a top batsman, but I still consider Sachin to be the best in the world, with Lara in at second. Hayden takes the bronze though.