• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Hayden's 380

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
My opinion of Hayden still hasn't changed. I think he's a top batsman, but I still consider Sachin to be the best in the world, with Lara in at second. Hayden takes the bronze though.
I'd rather watch Ponting than Hayden.

Rich2001

International Captain
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
My opinion of Hayden still hasn't changed. I think he's a top batsman, but I still consider Sachin to be the best in the world, with Lara in at second. Hayden takes the bronze though.
I have to agree with you there, as well as Hayden has been playing recently that's my point.

Sachin / Lara and co have been doing it week in week out for years and years now maintaing a avg of 50+ vs all comers (remember they have to face that Aussie attack too!) Hayden has only really been at the top of his game for a season or two (couldn't even cash in vs Bangladesh ;) )

Credit where it's due, his a top player but I wouldn't rate him among the very best until he has done it for a longer period. Just like you all said about M.Vaughan after his fantastic year.

Mr. P

International Vice-Captain
Yeah lara congratulates him, but i bet Lara is burning up inside hes so annoyed.:saint:

gibbsnsmith

State Vice-Captain
Laras cool!

He was also on the phone after he called Matthew Hayden to WI cricket borad to book a tour to Zim ASAP.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
M R Avg H F HS
Hayden 31 3000 65.22 13 9 203
Lara 21 2271 63.08 6 11 221
Gilchrist 31 2070 60.88 7 9 204*
Tendulkar 26 2395 58.41 7 11 193
Dravid 29 2292 53.30 6 11 217
Ponting 30 2381 56.69 10 6 206
Vaughan 27 2316 51.47 9 3 197
Inzamam 18 1633 62.82 6 3 329

Hayden is the clear leader there. you must all realise that Hayden has been doing this for years, just at domestic level.

on comparing Tendulkar vs Lara vs Hayden. Lara has scored a heck of alot of doubles and the 2nd highest test score ever. and the highest first class score ever. Tendulkar has never got more than 217, despite playing in 105 tests. Lara has a slightly lower average but has scored more multiple centuries than the others i think.

physically Hayden wins it eaily, hes HUGE, while Lara and Tendulkar are both quite small. he hits the ball harder tha the other 2.

another way of looking at this is comparing the players against each other, Hayden hasn't really played against the WI, with just one or two series against each.

Hayden
vs WI - average 41
vs India - average 109 - just one series though - 1 double

Tendulkar
vs Aus - 54
vs WI - 57

Lara
vs Ind - 37
vs Aus - 51 - including 2 doubles

Tendulkar overall is the more consistant based on that, with Hayden probably pipping Lara for 2nd.

in tests home and away
Tendulkar
home - 64
away - 52

Lara
home - 56
away - 46

Hayden
home - 53 - about to shoot up
away - 49.81
Neutral - 61

interesting how tendulkars average drops when playing away, 12 lower, lara's 10 lower, haydens similar, just slightly lower, shows he can play in any conditions against any type of attack.

just some stats, it will be interesting to see tendulkar vs Hayden in the near future

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
age_master said:
Tendulkar overall is the more consistant based on that, with Hayden probably pipping Lara for 2nd.
I don't see why... As you said, Hayden has played India just 3 times in Tests, so that 109 average while oustanding can't place Hayden ahead of Lara on that comparison. At best they stand even.
age_master said:
interesting how tendulkars average drops when playing away, 12 lower, lara's 10 lower, haydens similar, just slightly lower, shows he can play in any conditions against any type of attack.
Keep in mind that Hayden has played 69 Tests (not including the Zim massacre) whereas Tendulkar has played 105 and Lara 96.

Mr Mxyzptlk

age_master said:
M R Avg H F HS
Gilchrist 31 2070 60.88 7 9 204*
Tendulkar 26 2395 58.41 7 11 193
Dravid 29 2292 53.30 6 11 217
Ponting 30 2381 56.69 10 6 206
Vaughan 27 2316 51.47 9 3 197
Inzamam 18 1633 62.82 6 3 329
Hayden and to a lesser extent Tendulkar have had more support from their team-mates in terms of batting over that period of time. In Hayden's case, both Ponting and Gilchrist have cleared 2000 runs and Dravid has assisted Sachin with well over 2000 runs too.

What many people forget in comparing players as to who is the best are the abstract factors - ie pressure, support, confidence etc. I'm not saying that Lara is the best batsman in the world (I think Tendulkar is) but I am saying that for years it has been "Lara fail=Team fail" situation for the West Indies because he generally doesn't get support from the other batsmen. The pressure due to this is undoubtedly great and surely Hayden hasn't experienced this in his miracle run.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
age_master said:
M R Avg H F HS

Hayden is the clear leader there. you must all realise that Hayden has been doing this for years, just at domestic level.
Clear leader in a selective list when his average is only 2 more than Lara, and I doubt anyone would bet against Lara making 730 runs in 10 Tests?

Mr Mxyzptlk

I've read mention from a couple of people on the forum that Hayden played a chanceless innings. From what I've heard and read, he was dropped on 335. This is just a minor gripe so everyone may ignore this post.

Mr Mxyzptlk

marc71178 said:
I assume you only mean for that series in the case of Olonga?
I'm just wanting Zimbabwe to maintain the same bowling attack which they are sporting in this Test. :)

Eclipse

International Debutant
marc71178 said:
Clear leader in a selective list when his average is only 2 more than Lara, and I doubt anyone would bet against Lara making 730 runs in 10 Tests?
That list does no include the 380 runs though so he would have to make over 1000 runs in 10 matches and suddenly that much harder.

Eclipse

International Debutant
My top 5 test batsman on form currently:

Hayden
Lara
Dravid
Ponting
Gilchrist / Tendulkar

Craig

World Traveller
I will always maintain that BC Lara is the best batsman I have ever seen, and I dont think I will ever change that opinion and when Lara is in top form, he is better then anybody else in the currant game.

I must give credit to Hayden, I saw him get to 300, 335 and break the world record.

Sobers made his triple hundred in between 9-10 hours, so Hayden's knock would of been in that time.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Eclipse said:
That list does no include the 380 runs though so he would have to make over 1000 runs in 10 matches and suddenly that much harder.
But he would get there if he were to maintain his average and score a hundred or two along the way.

Last edited:

Mr Mxyzptlk

Craig said:
Sobers made his triple hundred in between 9-10 hours, so Hayden's knock would of been in that time.
Sobers made his in 10 hours and 14 minutes.

Hayden made his 380 in 10 and 22 minutes.

Eclipse

International Debutant
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
But he would get there if he were to maintain his average and score a hundred or two along the way.
That does not mean he will and lets accept the fact that it is highly unlikly that he will.

That 380 takes Haydens avrage to 71 over those 32 matches quite incredible.