• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Adrian Shankar

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Bizarre situation, something which you'd imagine might've happen in an age without technology and the ability to cross check a player's credentials but not so much in the modern era. Even more odd that he still managed to make an appearance in both a one-day and first class match before this was revealed.

Reminds me a bit of this story about Australian Ken Burn: "In 1890 he was chosen for that year's Australian tour of England, as the second wicketkeeper behind the long-serving Jack Blackham. Burn waited until the team's ship reached the Red Sea before admitting that he'd never actually kept wicket before."

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Unbelievable, Jeff.

I particularly liked this bit- "On the field Shankar is, at best, an ordinary player. After a decade in the game, he had a first-class average of just 19 and has passed 50 only once in 21 innings. He made 143 in the Varsity Match of 2002 (as a 17-year-old, if you believe his version of events) but, as Chris Scott, the Cambridge UCCE coach, said: "The bowling was unbelievably bad. He was a poor player and there's no way I would have recommended him."

Looking at the scorecard, it turns out Jamie Dalrymple opened the bowling. From a personal point of view, however, it's slightly depressing to see that his brother Simon's medium pace wasn't needed - even as they leaked 600+ - as it was more than good enough to pin me LBW the other night when we took on the Radley Staff...

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
I recall seeing Shankar's name in the list for the IPL auctions this year - clearly the Indian franchisees have a bit more savvy than the English counties
It is bizarre side-story that he even found his way onto an IPL auction list.

Reading through the list of unsold players for IPL 2011, plenty of average first-class cricketers, but Shankar stands out as an oddity on that list. He has somehow sweet-talked his way into a small part of the most expensive cricket tournament in the world.

IPL 2011: Ryder, Kartik, Kaif go in re-bidding | Cricket News | Indian Premier League 2011 | ESPN Cricinfo

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Almost spat my coffee all over my monitor the other day reading about this. How can they have been so stupid to get suckered like this and why the hell not look at Herefordshire/Shropshire as they are bound to have some quality youngsters who might be good enough/better than what Worcestershire already have?

This is a story that will be remembered for years.

igorbalis

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
The ali dia of cricket. Fascinating stuff. I didn't see another thread or it being discussed in the thread for random inconsequential **** like this so I rolled the dice baby and made a thread.

Cheers bye

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
also our eagle eyed members sort of spotted it at the time

nzfan

International Vice-Captain
Bizarre... surely they would have seen him at the nets and figured he's not good enough.