• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

'Beating India in India bigger than Ashes'

Howe_zat

Audio File
Interesting. I wouldn't say "bigger" myself, but it would be a more impressive achievement, certainly. Think that's what he's getting at.

Last edited:

brockley

International Captain
He also said match fixing is alive and well throughout the sub continent.
Prone to controvercial statements.

Spark

Global Moderator
Hmmm, I'm not sure about that. Winning here has been significantly more difficult than in India, as SA have shown on multiple occasions.

In any case the size of the Ashes is entirely so much to do with the quality of the competitors - although 05 compared to 06/7 shows that that clearly is important - it's about the history and tradition involved with it and the natural rivalry between the two nations. In the same sense that whilst beating Pakistan in a Test series wouldn't be a big deal for India from a purely cricketing POV, it would be a big deal in the public eyes.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Hmmm, I'm not sure about that. Winning here has been significantly more difficult than in India, as SA have shown on multiple occasions.
But did that have to do with the quality of the Australian team for 10-odd years, rather than the conditions?

There's been some pretty ordinary Indian teams win a win home series over the last 15 years.

Spark

Global Moderator
But did that have to do with the quality of the Australian team for 10-odd years, rather than the conditions?

There's been some pretty ordinary Indian teams win a win home series over the last 15 years.
True, but that has to be taken into account too.

Anyway, I'm not sure why I'm posting in a thread with such a poorly veiled ulterior motive.

Howe_zat

Audio File
For most of the last 15 years or so that's obviously true. It used to be that you simply didn't win in Australia, end of story.

But it's really not that controversial to suggest that touring India is now harder than touring Australia, given results over the last couple of years. And Strauss makes a good point when he mentions conditions - England have a lot of key players who aren't suited to India, whereas for Australia they were able to pick players who were likely to go well down there, such as Cook, KP and Tremlett. (Also Collingwood and Broad, though obv they weren't all going to work out.)

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
For most of the last 15 years or so that's obviously true. It used to be that you simply didn't win in Australia, end of story.

But it's really not that controversial to suggest that touring India is now harder than touring Australia, given results over the last couple of years. And Strauss makes a good point when he mentions conditions - England have a lot of key players who aren't suited to India, whereas for Australia they were able to pick players who were likely to go well down there, such as Cook, KP and Tremlett. (Also Collingwood and Broad, though obv they weren't all going to work out.)
Agree with that.

I think the bolded part is the key point he is trying to make. Even before the WC, we all predicted England's attack would struggle in subcontinent conditions - based on ODI history - whereas they probably would have gone much better if the WC had been held at any other venue.

When are England next due to play a Test series in India, though?

Howe_zat

Audio File
Agree with that.

I think the bolded part is the key point he is trying to make. Even before the WC, we all predicted England's attack would struggle in subcontinent conditions - based on ODI history - whereas they probably would have gone much better if the WC had been held at any other venue.

When are England next due to play a Test series in India, though?
They're not, but we play an ODI series over there in October, before going to Sri Lanka to play Tests. We get a new FTP next year, I believe.

Spark

Global Moderator
Am I the only one who thinks Broad may be better "suited" (in terms of his performance relative to his peers) to Indian conditions than Australian ones? Although obviously he is somewhat suited for Australian conditions with his height and bounce.

Flem274*

123/5
I think the current Indian side at home would be harder than the current Aussies at home, so I can see what Strauss is saying.

I like his honesty. Can't see many English skippers saying that, not that any have been in the position to do so for a while, but still..

Howe_zat

Audio File
I think the current Indian side at home would be harder than the current Aussies at home, so I can see what Strauss is saying.

I like his honesty. Can't see many English skippers saying that, not that any have been in the position to do so for a while, but still..
It's not unlike Strauss to downplay his own achievements.

I remember in 2009 when he passed 5000 Test runs at Lord's during his 161. He won MOTM and the post-match interviewer congratulated him on the milestone. Strauss just said that Ponting had got 11000 odd and so it wasn't really that much in the grand scheme of things.

Spark

Global Moderator
Let's be frank though, the way Mitch and co bowled that first day, getting 161 wasn't the toughest task ever :ph34r:

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!

Since no one has made the obvious gag yet, I'll oblige. It's because Strauss isn't English lolz. :ph34r: