• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Champions League 20/20 may require qualification for some sides

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
And Indian fans can do something about it, by speaking up against this ****. Saying "suck it up" is such a cop-out.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I don't know about others but I liked watching the CL just to see new unknown players make a mark. Who ever thought Guyana would do so well in the first edition? Davy Jacobs was insanely good last year and barely anyone had heard about him before that.

Adding another IPL team in this is not showing the viewers anything new. It's just a move to lure more people in India to watch the CL. It is completely wrong and really a sad thing imo, but put yourself into RSA, CA and BCCI's shoes and you would see that having the extra IPL team has too many benefits that outweigh the negatives. They don't really have any 'duty' towards promoting the standard of cricket in WI, NZ and the other countries, so they have no obligation to include them in the tournament. Sucks, but when you have a tournament that has a mostly commercial goal, got to expect **** like this.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Exactly. Jacobs last year was awesome, and really its where Pollard made his name back in 2009.

Bun

Banned
I don't know about others but I liked watching the CL just to see new unknown players make a mark. Who ever thought Guyana would do so well in the first edition? Davy Jacobs was insanely good last year and barely anyone had heard about him before that.

Adding another IPL team in this is not showing the viewers anything new. It's just a move to lure more people in India to watch the CL. It is completely wrong and really a sad thing imo, but put yourself into RSA, CA and BCCI's shoes and you would see that having the extra IPL team has too many benefits that outweigh the negatives. They don't really have any 'duty' towards promoting the standard of cricket in WI, NZ and the other countries, so they have no obligation to include them in the tournament. Sucks, but when you have a tournament that has a mostly commercial goal, got to expect **** like this.
yeah this....

I don't understand why people expect a tournament, wholly funded by 3 boards, run with only and open aim of making money, should sacrifice that goal in a pointless pursuit of some utopian goals of equality and the like.....

I dont like clt, I hate it as a nuisance during the middle of the year. ipl is ok as it has got a small window, but even that is too long now. clt for me is just pointless, just a me too agmt with csa and ca for allowing their guys to take part in ipl.

Howsie

International Captain
The Stags played terribly and so did the Volts. Fair enough that they try filter out the crap we end up sending over.
Yeah, agreed. Central Districts along with Guyana were just diabolically bad last year, batting, bowling and fielding, they were easily a notch below the rest of the other teams in all three facets of the game. Why would you want teams like that diluting your competition? I doubt a high percentage of the target audience wants to watch them either.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
It is a boon for NZ cricket - hopefully there will be less interest in 20 20 cricket in general now. And players will focus more on the longer forms of the game. Maybe we can even reduce the number of domestic 20 20s we play in the season.

Also if I was Auckland - do I really want to fly all the way to India for a pre-tournament qualifying tournament? Should just boycott it.

Debris

International 12th Man
run with only and open aim of making money
And that is the real problem right there. That attitude is certainly not good for cricket as a sport and, arguably, only beneficial to boards involved on a short-term basis.

Bun

Banned
And that is the real problem right there. That attitude is certainly not good for cricket as a sport and, arguably, only beneficial to boards involved on a short-term basis.
TBH I'd like to say that... but with the way modern sports have changed, I would reserve my judgement before I see a few more seasons....

I thought initially IPL would just be a fad.. and wouldn't really make it past 2 seasons... But it has gone from strength to strength. Apparently what the majority audience wants will outlive in the end. Consumerism has taken control everywhere and cricket cannot be immune to it.

But having endured 2 months of IPL, I cannot exaggerate the fulfillment of watching SL take on Eng. If a quarter of the IPL watching public feels that way, test cricket will be fine.

shankar

International Debutant
And Indian fans can do something about it, by speaking up against this ****. Saying "suck it up" is such a cop-out.
It's not as if this is an ICC run tournament to find the best domestic T20 team in the world! It's just a few boards trying to put together a tournament that'll get some people to watch it. If they've made a mistake and picked too many IPL teams and lose viewers or if the tournament loses credibility, they'll modify it next year or give it up altogether. What's the big deal?

Furball

Evil Scotsman
TBH I'd like to say that... but with the way modern sports have changed, I would reserve my judgement before I see a few more seasons....

I thought initially IPL would just be a fad.. and wouldn't really make it past 2 seasons... But it has gone from strength to strength. Apparently what the majority audience wants will outlive in the end. Consumerism has taken control everywhere and cricket cannot be immune to it.

But having endured 2 months of IPL, I cannot exaggerate the fulfillment of watching SL take on Eng. If a quarter of the IPL watching public feels that way, test cricket will be fine.
It hasn't gone from strength to strength, viewing figures for this year's IPL are massively down.

The auction this year saw foreign players going for less money than they had previously. That's going to affect how much genuinely top drawer foreign talent goes to play in the IPL, which will affect overseas viewership. I'd be amazed if many people in the UK follow it closely (the fact that Sky have neglected to pick up the UK rights IMO is indicative of how big the IPL's appeal is in this country).

Debris

International 12th Man

I guess my big worry is that cricket will end up taking after baseball where a domestic competition in one country becomes dominant and international matches are marginalised. You are right in that it is the way that all sport seems to be headed.

Howsie

International Captain
Forget qualification, some countries might not even bother sending teams in the future: Cashflow hiccups for Central, NZ Cricket | Stuff.co.nz

More than eight months after taking part in the supposedly lucrative Champions League Twenty20 tournament in South Africa, a number of top New Zealand cricketers are still awaiting their share of the prize money. Central Districts ended the tournament in last place without a win from four matches but are understood to be waiting on a payment of close to $US200,000 ($244,000).

Last night New Zealand Cricket Players' Association boss Heath Mills said that was no excuse for what had become "a disgraceful situation".

He also warned that players would be reluctant to take part in future tournaments – including this year's, scheduled for October – if the pay issue wasn't addressed immediately.

Flem274*

123/5
Auckland shouldn't go until CD get their money imo. Touring India is an expensive exercise for an NZ domestic side.