• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Fairest Players

Legglancer

State Regular
Fairest Cricketers Not mentioned so far -:

Clive Lloyd
Jeff Dujon
Graham Hick
Keith Fletcher
Dave Houghtan
Andy Flower
Stuart Carstlile
Aravinda De Silva
Sanath Jaysurya
Mark Taylor
Greg Chappell
Chandpaul
Martin Crowe
Richard Hadlee
Gary Sobers
Mohmmad Azzarudin
Gavaskar
Zaheer Abbas
Wasim Akram

Langeveldt

Soutie
Andy Flower would be in my list, but i think people are forgetting that row with James Foster when England were last in Zim....

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Legglancer said:
Fairest Cricketers Not mentioned so far -:

Mohmmad Azzarudin
Who....??!! How can he be called a fair cricketer with the cloud of match-fixing hanging over him? Fair to the match-fixing dons, maybe.....:)

royGilchrist

State 12th Man
what leggie meant was Azharuddin was a bit too fair, he would even walk when he was not out ;) And BTW anil the same goes for Wasim Akram.

If I had to make a generalization I would say India and England players have generally been the fairest players over the years, with a few exceptions ofcourse.

Imran Khan anyone? He called back Srikanth on that one occasion when the ump had given him out, not seen that sort of a thing happen very often. But more importantly Imran was fair because he was the visionary who first introduced neutral umps in a WI/Pak series, just so that the visiting team (ala Jeremy Coney) could not blame the umpiring after the series. In my view that has been the most fairest gesture any one cricketer has ever shown in cricket. Everyone in Pak thought that was crazy, why would you forego such an obvious advantage, that too against a powerful west indies team.

And Jimmy Adams? are you kidding me....he was out on a couple of occasions even the snick was heard on tv but he did not walk and him and Walsh beat Pakistan in WI.

Last edited:

Legglancer

State Regular
Good point Anil .... I guess Azar And Wasim maybe should not be on the list... But I watched footage where Azar handled tough situations with grace and a touch of class. Ex;- 1996 WC Semi Finals I felt extreamly sad for him, also on one occation the oppersition batsman (I dont remember who) asked for a runner at a crucial time of the match and to everyone's surprise Azar gave permission. subsequently when all the crowd and the commentators were blaming him he brilliantly ran the batsman out.... I guess he had the last laugh on that day :lol:

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
royGilchrist said:
And Jimmy Adams? are you kidding me....he was out on a couple of occasions even the snick was heard on tv but he did not walk and him and Walsh beat Pakistan in WI.
You defend Azhar and yet you downplay Adams for a couple of incidents in an entire career?

Yes, he was out on one occasion in particular when he got a big edge to Moin, but in all fairness Pakistan blew that match on their own. I recall a couple of simple run-outs ('99 WC semifinals type run outs) which the fielders made a mess of. One in particular where Saqlain just had to catch an easy return and remove the bails at the non-strikers end with Walsh and Adams both at the strikers crease, yet he dropped the ball and Walsh got back.

royGilchrist

State 12th Man
I was not defending wasim and azhar but making fun of them, I guess it was not clear. They are both cheats as far as I am concerned.

And Jimmy Admas might have been a fair player on ohter occasions, but in that parituclar match he was not. His being unfair cannot be justified by the fact that Pak lost some easy opportunities. He should have been out and Pak should have won the match were it not for biased decisions by ump doctrove. And it not one occasion only but multiple occasions, maybe it was walsh the other time.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
royGilchrist said:
I And Jimmy Admas might have been a fair player on ohter occasions, but in that parituclar match he was not. His being unfair cannot be justified by the fact that Pak lost some easy opportunities. He should have been out and Pak should have won the match were it not for biased decisions by ump doctrove. And it not one occasion only but multiple occasions, maybe it was walsh the other time.
your still basing your whole opinion on like 1 thing.

Kimbo

International Debutant
Masterblaster: would disagree on cairns. I have heard him swear rather loudly during games... bit of an arrogant so and so.

Mr Mxyzptlk

royGilchrist said:
And Jimmy Admas might have been a fair player on ohter occasions, but in that parituclar match he was not. His being unfair cannot be justified by the fact that Pak lost some easy opportunities. He should have been out and Pak should have won the match were it not for biased decisions by ump doctrove. And it not one occasion only but multiple occasions, maybe it was walsh the other time.
1/ When I mentioned Pakistan's blown chances it was in no way a defence of Adams. It was merely a side-note of interest.

2/ Who are you to say that Umpire Doctrove's poor umpiring was due to bias? Even the best of umpires make poor decisions. Just because Ump. Doctrove is a West Indian and made a mistake while umpiring doesn't mean it was driven by bias.

royGilchrist

State 12th Man
your still basing your whole opinion on like 1 thing.
here is my opinion: I dont know if Jimmy Adams qualifies as a fair player, but all I know is he was not fair that day.

Who are you to say that Umpire Doctrove's poor umpiring was due to bias? Even the best of umpires make poor decisions. Just because Ump. Doctrove is a West Indian and made a mistake while umpiring doesn't mean it was driven by bias.
Are you preparing to become a defence lawyer? Did OJ Simpson commit the crime? Anyways I digress....I am not sure if you saw the match yourself, or maybe the rosey west ind bias glasses were too dark...but whoever saw the match, clearly heard that snick even on the tv and there was no way the umpire could not have heard it, as far as i remember the ball was not near any other part of the body either. Basically it was without doubt a dismissal. Add to that the circumstances, west indies nine wickets down and very close to victory, one of the more nail biting matches I have ever seen, and ump doctrove's decision was clearly biased. But dont take it to heart, most umpires have been known to make biased decisions from all countries, so its not that big a deal.

BTW, do you think no WI ump has ever been biased in his decision? what about umps from other countries?

Mr Mxyzptlk

royGilchrist said:
Anyways I digress....I am not sure if you saw the match yourself, or maybe the rosey west ind bias glasses were too dark...but whoever saw the match, clearly heard that snick even on the tv and there was no way the umpire could not have heard it, as far as i remember the ball was not near any other part of the body either. Basically it was without doubt a dismissal. Add to that the circumstances, west indies nine wickets down and very close to victory, one of the more nail biting matches I have ever seen, and ump doctrove's decision was clearly biased. But dont take it to heart, most umpires have been known to make biased decisions from all countries, so its not that big a deal.
Case in point:

2nd ODI - West Indies v Sri Lanka
West Indies are 1-0 down in the 3-games series.

Brian Lara comes to the crease with the West Indies at 30/1. He nicked the first ball he saw to Kalu, but (unsually) he did not walk and Umpire Billy Bowden gave him not out. Lara went on to score 116 off 106 balls and his innings almost cost Sri Lanka the match and possibly the series. I'm Billy Bowden was driven by his obvious bias to the West Indies. :rolleyes:

This is by no means the only example. I seem to remember a couple of incidents involving Venkat too.
royGilchrist said:
BTW, do you think no WI ump has ever been biased in his decision? what about umps from other countries?
That's a ridiculous statement! What have I said to even hint that that was the case? My point is that you shouldn't be so quick to call bias.

Point. Counterpoint?

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Incompetence rather than bias.

I give my share of shockers for and against when umpiring Caistor's junior teams, all down to ineptitude :)

Mr Mxyzptlk

Neil Pickup said:
Incompetence rather than bias.

I give my share of shockers for and against when umpiring Caistor's junior teams, all down to ineptitude :)
I agree fully. :)

royGilchrist

State 12th Man
listen buddy no offense intended, but if anyone who was neutral saw that match and the ending, would without any hesitation point out that billy doctrove was biased and wanted the WI to win.

Other examples like you gave are useless here. All kinds of things have happened, like you gave examples of incompetence, and I can give many examples of other biased umpiring (english umpires, pak umpires, Indian umpires etc), but I really dont see what these other examples have to do with what I said about billy doctroves biased umpiring that day. I really dont know how you assumed that I think every bad umpiring decision is biased umpiring. There many many mistakes in umpiring, without any bias.

Did anyone who is neutral remember seeing that game? Neil? If you did not, then you dont know what I am talking about.

Once again I am repeating, Billy Doctrove's umpiring was biased THAT DAY. He might have given wrong decisions other days without bias, or other umpires have given wrong decisons on other days which have been purely because of incompetence.

Mr Mxyzptlk

royGilchrist said:
listen buddy no offense intended, but if anyone who was neutral saw that match and the ending, would without any hesitation point out that billy doctrove was biased and wanted the WI to win.

Other examples like you gave are useless here. All kinds of things have happened, like you gave examples of incompetence, and I can give many examples of other biased umpiring (english umpires, pak umpires, Indian umpires etc), but I really dont see what these other examples have to do with what I said about billy doctroves biased umpiring that day. I really dont know how you assumed that I think every bad umpiring decision is biased umpiring. There many many mistakes in umpiring, without any bias.

Did anyone who is neutral remember seeing that game? Neil? If you did not, then you dont know what I am talking about.

Once again I am repeating, Billy Doctrove's umpiring was biased THAT DAY. He might have given wrong decisions other days without bias, or other umpires have given wrong decisons on other days which have been purely because of incompetence.
Billy Doctrove has always been an incompetent umpire IMO - not up to Test standard. He has made a fair few mistakes as have all umpires throughout history in all different circumstances, in all different countries.

My point still stands. What right do you have to say that it was bias rather than incompetence? Are you a mind-reader?