• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Most feared cricketers against ur team.

Austerlitz

U19 Debutant
This thread is on the top 10 players u feared most when they played against ur team.

For me against india.

1.Saeed anwar
2.Sanath jayasuriya
3.Adam gilchrist
4.glenn mcgrath
5.Matthew hayden
6.A.Donald
7.Dale steyn
8.A.de silva
9.H.amla
10.J.kallis

salman85

International Debutant
In no particular order:

1.Ambrose
2.Warne
3.Donald
4.Pollock
5.Dravid
6.Kamran Akmal
7.Gilchrist
8.Hayden
9.Irfan Pathan
10.Collingwood
11.Kirsten

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
As an Australian supporter:

1. VVS Laxman - He's nicknamed Very, Very Special for a reason. Always saved his best for the Australians, and that 281 would still be giving Steve Waugh nightmares.
2. Andrew Flintoff - On his day, his bowling could be unplayable and his batting could take a game away from you. He was the key to the 2005 Ashes victory.
3. Sachin Tendulkar - Even when he's playing badly he's as dangerous as anyone in world cricket. Scored a 241* against us without playing a cover drive. That is class.
4. AB de Villiers - He's a special batsman. Every innings looks like it could end up in a match-winning ton.
5. Dale Steyn - Swings it at pace and strikes every 40-odd balls. ATG figures that strike fear into every batsman around the world. just ask Craig Cummings.
6. Viv Richards - Bowl well to him, and he'd hit you for four. Bowl badly, he'd hit you for six. Nobody wanted to bowl to him.
7. Shane Bond - When he was fit and firing, he always threatened to derail us and took mountains of wickets.
8. Wasim Akram - Incredible, incredible bowler. While Waqar hit the yorkers more often, it always seemed like Wasim was the most dangerous. Facing him on any day would not be fun.
9. The West Indies 1970/80's bowling attack - 4 guys bowling 90 miles an hour at your head, every single match. If one got injured, someone just as deadly would replace him.
10 - England's top order - 1/517 says enough.

Honourable mention:
Shane Warne - What was he going to do next to screw himself over?

I'm probably forgetting a stack of players, and I'm only really thinking of modern times. All based on Test matches (bar Bond).

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
During the years that I saw cricket, Mcgrath and Donald among bowlers. Among batsmen different guys tormented us at different times. Younis Khan was a huge pain for a while, specially because he did not have a great reputation like of a Lara or Ponting or Kallis.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
This thread is on the top 10 players u feared most when they played against ur team.

For me against india.

1.Saeed anwar
2.Sanath jayasuriya
3.Adam gilchrist
4.glenn mcgrath
5.Matthew hayden
6.A.Donald
7.Dale steyn
8.A.de silva
9.H.amla
10.J.kallis
Good list, add Shaun Pollock, Aaqib Javed and Shoaib Malik to it. Younis Khan also a good shout.

hang on

State Vice-Captain
salman,

would have thought that sehwag would have featured prominently in that list!

when i supported the windies, i feared (i support and have supported many teams, often concurrently!):

lillee
imran
dev
gavaskar

during my england supporting days:
lillee
marshall
sobers
richards
warne
tendulkar
lara
akram

during my india supporting days:
mcgrath
murali
marshall
roberts
khan
akram

meaningless lists, i know, for one country or team supporters and so i won't mention anything about the aussie supporting days. were too short in any case!

Last edited:

bagapath

International Captain
as an indian i hated to see these guys pitted against us....

1. miandad
2. imran
3. viv richards
4. jayasuriya
5. anwar
6. donald
7. de silva
8. kallis
9. sean pollock
10. marshall
11. mcgrath

salman85

International Debutant
salman,

would have thought that sehwag would have featured prominently in that list!

when i supported the windies, i feared (i support and have supported many teams, often concurrently!):

lillee
imran
dev
gavaskar

during my england supporting days:
lillee
marshall
sobers
richards
warne
tendulkar
lara
akram

during my india supporting days:
mcgrath
murali
marshall
roberts
khan
akram

meaningless lists, i know, for one country or team supporters and so i won't mention anything about the aussie supporting days. were too short in any case!
3 teams???How can you support 3 teams?

...what about Sehwag against Pakistan?
Never.I was more afraid of Dravid.

hang on

State Vice-Captain
actually support even more! i generally support teams based on players i admire, playing styles etc. underdog status and nostalgia also come into it. a bit strange, i know, but...

Outswinger@Pace

International 12th Man
I've never really supported any team as "my" team, unless I am participating in the match. :)

Therefore, I've taken the liberty to choose a team of most feared XI (from all teams) in my period of viewing - i.e. after 1998/1999.

Tests
Justin Langer
Virender Sehwag
Brian Lara
Sachin Tendulkar
Mohammad Yousuf
Steve Waugh (*)
Jacques Kallis
Adam Gilchrist (+)
Wasim Akram
Muralidharan
Glenn McGrath

ODIs
Adam Gilchrist (+)
Sachin Tendulkar
Ricky Ponting (*)
Aravinda de Silva
Inzamam
Chris Cairns
Michael Bevan
Lance Klusener
Chaminda Vaas
Wasim Akram
Muralidharan

Spark

Global Moderator
Langer above Hayden? Interesting.

And Yousuf above Ponting? Gotta disagree there, if we're talking Ponting anywhere near his peak - so basically sans the last two years or so, he should be a walk in.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Never.I was more afraid of Dravid.
...maybe that's because you don't like Sehwag...but you can't deny that he has been a brute force against Pakistan...certainly more than the likes of Irfan Pathan and Dravid (though these 2 have also played a major role against Pakistan at times)

Outswinger@Pace

International 12th Man
Langer above Hayden? Interesting.
Any day of the week in Tests, for my money. A more compact and resolute opener who is a better player of pace bowling would get the nod from me.

And Yousuf above Ponting? Gotta disagree there, if we're talking Ponting anywhere near his peak - so basically sans the last two years or so, he should be a walk in.
It's more position dependant, really. At no. 5, I'd need a very good player of spin who constructs his innings well. Overall, I consider Lara and Tendulkar as superior players than Ricky, so nos. 3 and 4 are pretty much taken.

Spark

Global Moderator
Any day of the week in Tests, for my money. A more compact and resolute opener who is a better player of pace bowling would get the nod from me.

It's more position dependant, really. At no. 5, I'd need a very good player of spin who constructs his innings well. Overall, I consider Lara and Tendulkar as superior players than Ricky, so nos. 3 and 4 are pretty much taken.
I think at this level position becomes somewhat irrelevant tbf. Picking the best possible players in the top order is the way I would go about it.

Outswinger@Pace

International 12th Man
I think at this level position becomes somewhat irrelevant tbf. Picking the best possible players in the top order is the way I would go about it.
My thinking is along these lines.

If the team faces a top-notch attack with three great fast bowlers, a world-class spinner and a good all-rounder, planning the innings is important.

Langer & Sehwag would keep the run-rate ticking and the Aussie is the type who can knuckle down if it gets tough.

Lara and Tendulkar are truly great batsmen and being natural strokeplayers, they'd add runs quickly. These men are expected to take apart the bowling. Pace or spin matters not to them.

At this stage, I'd need a consolidator/accumulator (a good player of top-quality spin) + someone who can play with the tail. That's why Yousuf and Waugh (Sr.) would be my best bets. Kallis would take forward Waugh's role and Gilly is there to decimate the opposition! :cool:

Shri

Mr. Glass
Sanath Jayasuriya
Matthew Hayden
Andy Flower
Jacques Kallis
Mohd Yusuf
Inzamam Ul-Haq
Damien Martyn
Wasim Akram
Dale Steyn
Allan Donald
Glenn McGrath

Ashish Nehra - whenever he played for India, I feared for India.