• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best Batsmen against top attacks

hang on

State Vice-Captain
An interesting analysis from cricinfo.

It Figures | Cricket Blogs | ESPN Cricinfo

The earlier one dealt with batsmen who performed against the best teams - 70s to 90s windies and 90s to noughties aussies. This one deals with batsmen against all attacks, divided into 5 categories in terms of quality, from 1900 onwards.

Some surprising names there -- Sehwag, for instance, has done rather well against the top attacks. Hammond, has rarely faced or scored much against any top attacks.....very surprising this!

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Top attacs will depend on the conditions. Indian spin attack may have been average else where, but is a top attack at home. SAF pacemen may be one dimentional on flat beds, but one of the most feared and intimidating one at home. Conditions are a must when you are assessing it.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I just don't see the point of these kind of analyses. :yawn:

I calculated the base BQI for the period 1983-1995 with attacks involving three bowlers averaging less than 25 for matches held in Australia, England or West Indies that started on a Wednesday, then I calculated the batsman's weighted average by dividing his total runs by the number of balls he played and missed at, and then multiplied by the boundaries he hit off the 2nd or 3rd balls of the over blah blah blah... ZZZZ.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Hammond, minnow basher? I have read about his failures against Lindwall/Miller too.

And Sehwag has gun results in this analysis as well (just as in the earlier one by this guy)

Redbacks

International Captain
Forget pure numbers alone, this is the kind of analysis best based on opinions from visual evidence.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Hammond, minnow basher? I have read about his failures against Lindwall/Miller too.

And Sehwag has gun results in this analysis as well (just as in the earlier one by this guy)
LOL.. Hammond was 40+ when he played against Lindwall and Miller.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
LOL.. Hammond was 40+ when he played against Lindwall and Miller.
I know. That was the counter argument given when I read about Hammond's failure against those two. Still curious to get more details on his performance against good attacks.

Outswinger@Pace

International 12th Man
I know. That was the counter argument given when I read about Hammond's failure against those two. Still curious to get more details on his performance against good attacks.
I tried to get a Statsguru analysis for this.

From Hammond's period, these were the fine/great bowlers I chose:

Constantine & Martindale (WI), Jack Gregory, Tiger & Grimmett (Aus), Amar Singh and Md. Nissar (greater India)

Hammond averages 54 in 45 matches against one or more of these bowlers. See this.

I am hardly an expert on that period, so if I have missed some good bowlers, feel free to add value to the analysis. Cheers! :cool:

Last edited:

Outswinger@Pace

International 12th Man
Lindwall + Miller v/s Hammond

Those who are talking about Hammond's "failures" against Lindwall and Miller are failing to see things in perspective.

Hammond faced them after the great War ended and he was 44 then. Clearly past his best - a case not dissimlar to George Headley's!

He averaged 30 in 8 Tests after the war, which clearly tells us that the great player was a a pale shadow of his former self. When at his peak, he had no problems playing very good bowlers. Please see my previous post.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
This guy really has got a firm grasp of what cricket is really all about hasn't he? Tedious bilge as ever from Mr Narayanan