Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: No runners ever and yes to UDRS

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar

No runners ever and yes to UDRS

ICC News: ICC cricket committee calls for DRS in all Tests | Cricket News | Cricinfo ICC Site | ESPN Cricinfo

I like all the suggestions tbh. Would be fun to see fast bowlers head hunting the bastards to try to get them to retire through injury . Though with the protection the way it is, I doubt most injuries that require a runner could be caused by the bowling.

Anyway it makes sense on it's own - in other sports if you get injured enough so that you can't perform an important part of your skill, you leave. Running is obviously a key part of being a batsman.
    Last edited by silentstriker; 11-05-2011 at 11:09 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    In most team sports, though, if a player is too injured to continue, he gets a substitute. So it's not the same.

That's certainly true.

All good measures but I refuse to call this anywhere near adequate whilst the ball can hit the stumps on a near run out and go for two, three, four extra runs. Worst rule in existence.
    + time's fickle card game ~ with you and i +

get ready for a broken ****in' arm

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Not liking the "only one UDRS referral for limited overs", myself.

Should be looking to increase the number, unless there's some mechanism whereby a referral isn't lost for those instances where it's an "umpire's call".
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"as much a news event as an actual footballer, a worthy stop-start centre forward, but an all-time hyper-galactico when it comes to doing funny things with cars and hats, a player whose signing proves once again that the Premier League is still undoubtedly the best in the world when it comes to doing things with cars and hats."
    - Barney Ronay on Mario Balotelli

Suggestion for no-runners is so good.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Suggestion for no-runners is so good.
    Gordon Greenidge will disagree

Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post

Should be looking to increase the number, unless there's some mechanism whereby a referral isn't lost for those instances where it's an "umpire's call".
    I think that's a decent solution. I like two in Tests and one in ODIs, but you don't lose one if your appeal is denied based on 'umpire's call'. Already many of the appeals are useless, I really don't want to increase the number. Don't punish the good appeals, but there shouldn't be more overall referrals given.
    Last edited by silentstriker; 11-05-2011 at 02:35 PM.

International Vice-Captain robelinda's Avatar
    No leg byes- i wish they would change to that law. Leg byes suck. No runner is great.
    My Youtube cricket channels, thousands of gold old videos

http://www.youtube.com/user/robelinda2

http://www.youtube.com/user/robelinda

Quote Originally Posted by robelinda View Post
    No leg byes- i wish they would change to that law. Leg byes suck. No runner is great.
    I have been calling for this for years! Why on earth, when the aim of the game is to hit the ball, should you be given runs for missing it!!!

It's different to a wide or bye - in those cases, the fault lies with the bowling team.

By contrast, with a leg bye, the bowling team is not at fault.

Anyway, with that off my chest, I agree with no runners and having the DRS for all Test matches.
    - Winner of the 2011 and 2012 CricketWeb AFL tipping competition

- Winner of the 2011, 2012 and 2013 CricketWeb NRL tipping competition

International Vice-Captain robelinda's Avatar
    Its insane. You miss the ball, yet get a run because it hit some other part of your body. FAIL. Always annoyed me. Especially the old 4 leg byes down the leg side.

Simon Champion!
    No runner won't work unless you allow substitutions.

Increasing the luck quotient with it.

Simon Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post

Exactly.

And they want to extend the same to tests too?

Without adequate reviews the frustration when wrong decisions are made will only increase rather than decrease and there are many cases where the technology is not clear and there is no way to tell from the field ,where you feel it is out.

Simon Champion!
    Apart from doing away with runners, the committee, in a proposal that would prevent non-strikers from backing up too far, said bowlers be allowed to run them out provided they haven't completed their delivery swing. It also recommended an end to the practice of batsmen changing their direction while running between the wickets to obstruct the bowler or fielder's view while attempting a run-out which is often seen in one-day internationals.

Agree on the first part here ,but what is wrong with the part in bold and how the heck would they judge it?

Further to those, the committee called for experiments with newer ideas in domestic cricket, including removing restrictions for the maximum number of overs for a bowler, no compulsory close-catchers, number of bouncers allowed per over increased from one to two and a maximum of four fielders outside the 30-yard circles during the non-Powerplay overs.
    Like none of these ideas.

The rule I don't get (minor though it be) is why overthrows aren't counted as extras like byes or leg byes. The batsman hits a shot worth 1 run but somehow picks up 5 because of crappy fielding...

And it also counts against the poor bowler (unfair unless he was the one not backing up properly, I guess)

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information