• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Donald's coaching future

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Couple of recent articles, including today's feature on cricinfo by Peter Roebuck.

Peter Roebuck: John Wright and Allan Donald could do Australia good | Opinion | Cricinfo Magazine | ESPN Cricinfo

Trans-Tasman battle for bowling coach Donald | Stuff.co.nz

Not too worried about John Wright. He's stated in the past that he dislikes being away from his family, so I imagine he's not too keen to take another international coaching job outside of New Zealand. But Donald's coaching future is starting to appear sketchy at best.

Earlier in the year it sounded like he'd more or less decided to stay in New Zealand, and he was talking about what plans he had for developing the abilities of Southee and Bennett over the next 12 months (ie. getting Southee to work on a genuine in-swinger, making adjustments to Bennett's action etc.). However, as more and more time passes without him signing a formal contract it appears less and less likely that he will be staying.

In my opinion it would be a terrible blow for New Zealand if Donald doesn't stay (in particular I think we need at least a 2 year contract to get the most out of his expertise). Southee appears to have made real strides in the couple of months that Donald has had with him. If Donald were to take up a more permanent position, who knows how far Southee could go. Donald also appears to have an excellent working relationship with Wright, and seems to bring a lot of confidence and self-belief to a team that often appears to lack that quality in big matches.

Last edited:

Chewie

International Vice-Captain
I agree, Donald really needs to stay here with us. Can't have the Aussies stealing him like they've stolen a whole heap of other stuff from us

robelinda

International Vice-Captain
Hope he stays with NZ. We dont want his coaching skill wasted on our lot of uncoachable bowlers like Mitch etc.

Flem274*

123/5
Would serve NZC right if he left. We haven't even picked a new bloody captain for goodness sake. It will take about five years before we get around to deciding whether we should extend Donald's contract.

Martin Sneddon might have almost killed off test cricket in this country, but at least he did something. This would cap off an unimpressive tenure for Justin Vaughan.

Spark

Global Moderator
Hope he stays with NZ. We dont want his coaching skill wasted on our lot of uncoachable bowlers like Mitch etc.
I don't think Mitch is uncoachable, just that Trooley has uncoached him.

Reckon he'd be good on a bowler like Hilf.

EDIT: or benchy's suggestion works too

EDIT2: So the new cricinfo article has a new standard in "dumbest comment". Impressive.

Last edited:

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Starc, Hazlewood, Copeland and Cummins could do with him itbt.

Actually, just appoint him coach of NSW.
So could Milne, Small, Wheeler and Bracewell.

So it's settled, NSW and CD should battle it out for Donald's services, and NZ and Aus can settle for the leftovers.

Mike5181

International Captain
Southee has been in the best form of his life under Donald's coaching. I don't think that is a coincidence. We need to somehow retain him but i'd say if Australia want him they will get him.

nsniks

State Vice-Captain
Southee has improved tremendously under Donald coaching, but if he has not signed a contract with NZC still, then I think he will sign with Cricket Australia. I think bowlers like Harris, Johnson and Hilfy could really improve under him.

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
I am looking forward to seeing what Southee can do in the future. I was really impressed with his performance against us recently and now after the world cup he has become one of my favourite bowlers to watch. Hope Donald stays and works with him.

freckleslol

School Boy/Girl Captain
NZ bowling coach Allan Donald here to stay

South African Allan Donald looks set to remain as New Zealand's cricket bowling coach after he reportedly missed out on the Australian job.

The Age website reports former Australian fast bowler Craig McDermott is set to be announced as the side's new bowling coach later today, replacing compatriot Troy Cooley who will take over as head coach at Cricket Australia's Centre of Excellence.

99*

International Debutant
Would serve NZC right if he left. We haven't even picked a new bloody captain for goodness sake. It will take about five years before we get around to deciding whether we should extend Donald's contract.

Martin Sneddon might have almost killed off test cricket in this country, but at least he did something. This would cap off an unimpressive tenure for Justin Vaughan.
There is one option and one option only. If Taylor isn't picked the game should be banned here for good.

65LeMac

Banned
I wasn't aware that Donad Trump played cricket. In between filming The Apprentice, running for president and filing for bankruptcy on multiple occassions I'm not sure how he finds the time!

Andre

International Regular
I agree, Donald really needs to stay here with us. Can't have the Aussies stealing him like they've stolen a whole heap of other stuff from us
You can have Brendon Julian and Luke Ronchi back if you like :laugh:

Flem274*

123/5
South Africa need a bowling coach? What's he going to say to Steyn, "Hey man, you're quite likely to be as good as me if not better so...um...keep bowling?"

No doubt we'll get some useless ****. Probably the ex-Australian bowling coach, who can teach Southee to bowl the Hilfenhaus length.

Elevate Bond! /fanboy