• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Misbah replaces Afridi as ODI captain

angad

U19 12th Man
Shahid Afridi Axed From Team

The Pakistan Cricket Board taking notice of Shahid Afridi's recent comments in the media against the team management have decided to drop him for the tour of Ireland. Misbah Ul Haq will lead the team instead.

Shahid Afridi on his return from the West Indies tour after the completion of the ODI series said: "I don't like people interfering in my domain. I think it would be better if everyone focused on his job in the team."
I
The PCB are yet to clarify whether Afridi has been permanently removed from the captaincy or is it just for the Ireland tour, more action is expected once the team management sends its report to the Pakistan Cricket Board.

Pakistan's tour of Ireland consists of two ODI games, the series starts on May 27, 2011.
Source - Shahid Afridi Axed | Misbah to Lead Team In Ireland Tour

salman85

International Debutant
Not True.

PCB has demanded an explanation from him over the comments,but he has not been axed from the side.The side hasn't even been announced yet.Plus,i don't see him getting axed for the tour.The only thing that might happen is a second string side facing Ireland,and Afridi choosing to take a rest before the series as he wanted to do before the WI tour.

Silly rumor.

nsniks

State Vice-Captain
Pakistan in Ireland, 2011: Misbah-ul-Haq replaces Shahid Afridi as ODI captain | Pakistan Cricket News | ESPN Cricinfo

Misbah-ul-Haq has been named captain of Pakistan's squad for the one-dayers against Ireland later this month, taking over from Shahid Afridi, who has been the limited-overs captain for the past year. Afridi was reported to have had a falling out with coach Waqar Younis after the one-dayers against West Indies earlier this month. There were few other surprises in the 16-man squad announced by the PCB for the two one-dayers.

Squad: Misbah-ul-Haq (capt), Younis Khan, Taufeeq Umar, Mohammad Hafeez, Asad Shafiq, Azhar Ali, Shahid Afridi, Mohammad Salman (wk), Saeed Ajmal, Abdur Rehman, Umar Akmal, Umar Gul, Wahab Riaz, Tanvir Ahmed, Junaid Khan, Hammad Azam

I guess those reports of falling out with Waqar have cost afridi the post

salman85

International Debutant
Pathetic. Absolutely Pathetic.

**** you Ijaz Butt.I hope you ****ing die.The most pathetic administrator in cricketing history.**** him and every bastard in the Presidency who loves him.**** Mohsin Khan for being a sellout.

Last edited:

Fusion

Global Moderator
As usual, Osman Samiuddin captures my thoughts on the matter and expresses them far more eloquently than I ever could.

Ijaz Butt continues to foster instability

Osman Samiuddin

May 19, 2011

In a way this isn't even about Shahid Afridi or Misbah-ul-Haq. Both have their advantages and faults. This writer personally considered Afridi to have done as good a job as was manageable in the circumstances that were thrust upon him.

Few can realistically argue that they weren't surprised by his performances as leader, given how unsuitable a candidate he has looked for most of his career. But over 32 ODIs (two, against West Indies and Australia, came as stand-in) he left a bit of himself on the team: unpredictable, occasionally brilliant, occasionally hopeless; that Pakistan's four ODI series under Afridi all ended in 3-2 scorelines is quite fitting really.

But mostly they were up for a good fight. In particular, Pakistan showed some spine under him against England and South Africa last year, contests in which what was happening around them could easily have blown them away entirely.

On results, he just about wins. Any captain will take more wins than losses, particularly as few of his opponents were genuinely weak. The World Cup run cannot be belittled, and two series wins did come against weaker sides, but they are two more than a few of the last couple of captains managed: Pakistan, remember, hadn't won an ODI series against a full member side since November 2008 until they beat New Zealand earlier this year. So credit is due.

Misbah might be a decent captain. His form since his return to all formats last year has been outstanding, even if it takes in the much-pilloried World Cup semi-final half-century against India. But turning to a man who turns 37 on the day he leads Pakistan against Ireland in the first ODI isn't a long-term solution.

But the problem isn't either of these two. The problem, not for the first or last time in the tenure of Ijaz Butt, lies with the board, with Butt himself. So far, nobody has said why Afridi has been removed and they might not say anything anytime soon; the board does, after all, retain the right to change captains per assignment.

Only two things could have led to this, however. One is Afridi's keenness in airing private matters publicly, which is admittedly an uneasy trait to possess as Pakistan captain. The other is the differences he has with coach Waqar Younis, differences which have grown considerably over the last few months. Both are issues that can be resolved without sacking someone, a suggestion so obvious that it feels foolish to write it out.

If he does speak out regularly - and it is a breach of the code of conduct - can he not be disciplined in another way? And, given what Pakistani captains of pretty recent vintage have gotten up to, is it that grave an offence? Perhaps Afridi's general disciplinary record went against him, the ball-biting last year, or his abrupt relinquishing of the Test captaincy. In that case, they should have axed him when then, when it might have made sense, not now when it makes less.

If there were problems with Waqar, could not the two of them - with PCB officials involved - have had a pow-wow to sort matters out? Intikhab Alam, the team manager, tried to bring the two together during the ODI series in the Caribbean but the matter is delicate enough to be handled away from an ongoing series.

Maybe - a radical suggestion this - the board could've sat down and worked out a better, more streamlined selection policy, over which the pair have fallen out. The parameters are not defined very well, but mostly, selection in Pakistan is not so different from other countries. The selection committee picks a squad, with inputs from coach and captain. The on-tour management, which includes coach and captain, picks the XI. If, as happens often, a Test squad is announced after the ODI leg of the series, then the on-tour management inevitably wants input in that. The final say, in all matters, is with the chairman for some reason.

As Pakistan's experiments with democracy amply demonstrate, there are probably too many different people involved for this to work smoothly; five in the selection committee, three or more on tour (if the advice of senior players is taken). In any case, the problems that regularly arise in selection matters here likely do elsewhere; the point is you don't solve them simply by sacking people, unless all other options have been exhausted.

Butt has been in charge for just under three years and this now represents the 11th change in captaincy in his time, in Tests and ODIs. Eleven: it takes some countries decades to go through that kind of change. Add to it three coaches and five selection chiefs. Does it need to be written out what kind of effect this instability has on the performances of a team? How do you build anything if the materials keep changing? And can we expect Afridi, whether he says it publicly or not, as a key member of the ODI side still, to take this without any issues?

The chairman has been quiet for a few months and it has been bliss. Now he has stirred again, underlining once again as if it was needed, that he might struggle to run a chalkboard, let alone a cricket board.

Link

Gooch20

Banned
I hate ijaz butt, but in this case i think he is right. Afridi was an average captain, he was nothing great, the mistakes he made against the india match in the worldcup pretty much summed up his captiancy for me, i think he should have been fired after that match. But yes as a bowler/fielder we still need him

salman85

International Debutant
No Afridi was not an average captain.He was the best one we've had in over a decade.

3 years.11 captains.

Says it all.

The bastard Butt won't go till Zardari goes.And i hope that happens as soon as possible.

IrishOpener

U19 Debutant
What is the view of Pakistan fans about the series against Ireland?, for once it seems Ireland can put a full strength squad out despite some players being with county teams and getting to play for Ireland instead,

we will miss Dockrell and Botha but the batting looks good for us,

I would love a good close series but 2-0 to Ireland :laugh:...

salman85

International Debutant
I hope Ireland beats us in both games.

There are riots in Lahore,Karachi,Peshawar,Rawalpindi.

Ijaz Butt goes to Karachi to calm the supporters.

He has a bat shoved up his ass by Afridi's daughter.

The process is repeated for Lahore,Peshawar and Islamabad.

Butt finaly dies of 'Anal Penetrationois'.

The medical dictionary has a brand new word.

Last edited:

Howe_zat

Audio File
If the process is repeated in all four cities, does that mean someone has to hire a Afridi's daughter to follow Butt around the country, specifically with the intention of shoving a bat up his jacksie?

Seems unfair on the kid, really.

Lostman

State Captain
Forget being appointed captain, how is Misbah still in the ODI team after the WC game?
Defies logic even by Butt standards.

IrishOpener

U19 Debutant
Forget being appointed captain, how is Misbah still in the ODI team after the WC game?
Defies logic even by Butt standards.
How can any Pakistan fan say Misbah shouldn't be there?, the guy is consistent and it wasn't his fault in the WC people came in and scored at a 100+ S/R but only getting 10-15 runs and then letting Misbah take the blame because he was in at the end,

the man doesn't throw his wicket away like the Akmal's or Afridi, if you rather not have him then Ireland will take him and I'm sure there is a lot of teams who would happily have him in their team,

and wasn't it said during the WC they won't let Misbah and YK bat together, how many games during the WC did that partnership save Pakistan :mellow:...

Gooch20

Banned
No Afridi was not an average captain.He was the best one we've had in over a decade.

3 years.11 captains.

Says it all.

The bastard Butt won't go till Zardari goes.And i hope that happens as soon as possible.
Afridi is average, his record of wins/losses as a captain is around 50/50 i believe, so that makes him average. The only reason pakistan got to the semi final of the world cup was because of our bowling and yes Afridi's bowling is amazing.

Again as a captain he should have not been even selected for the worldcup in my opinion.

The other reason is, he is simply (immature) for a captain and has made many stupid statments and has done many stupids thing on field aswell. We need a mature head

Last edited:

smash84

The Tiger King
I hope Ireland beats us in both games.

There are riots in Lahore,Karachi,Peshawar,Rawalpindi.

Ijaz Butt goes to Karachi to calm the supporters.

He has a bat shoved up his ass by Afridi's daughter.

The process is repeated for Lahore,Peshawar and Islamabad.

Butt finaly dies of 'Anal Penetrationois'.

The medical dictionary has a brand new word.
:laugh::laugh::laugh: