Cricket Player Manager
Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The 2nd Greatest Cricketer From A Country

International Debutant salman85's Avatar

The 2nd Greatest Cricketer From A Country

While there is a widespread consensus over the greatest cricketers to play for each of the current Test Playing countries,or most of them atleast,the question of the 2nd best cricketer from the respective countries is more debatable.

To put it in simplistic terms,there's a far bigger gap between the The Best Cricketer and the 2nd Best Cricketer,then there is between the 2nd Best and 3rd Best.So,who would the 2nd Best Cricketers be from the current Test Playing countries(minus Bangladesh since they don't have enough cricketing history)?

For the record,we can use the following cricketers as the greatest ever to play for their countries :

Pakistan : Imran
    India : Tendulkar
    Australia : Bradman
    Srilanka : Murali
    West Indies : Sobers
    NewZealand : Hadlee
    England : Botham?Hutton?Gooch? (Not a clear winner here IMO.This can be debated too)
    SouthAfrica : Kallis?Donald?Pollock Sr.?Pollock Jr.? (This too,is very debatable)

So,who would be the 2nd best cricketers from each country?Also,we can debate on the best to emerge from England and SA since it's too close to call IMO,unlike th other countries.

Personally,i think Australia has a clear cut 2nd best cricketer ever in Warne,but it's very very close as far as Pakistan(Wasim?Miandad?Waqar?),India (Kapil?Gavaskar?Kumble?),Srilanka (Sanath?Aravinda?Vaas?),West Indies (Richards?Lara?Marshall?) and New Zealand (Cairns?Vettori?Crowe?) are concerned.

So,Fire away!

I will post the top 2 from each test nation.

Australia - Bradman, Miller
    England - Barnes, Hobbs
    India - Tendulkar, Kapil (could be Gavaskar on other days)
    New Zealand - Hadlee, Cairns (John Reid close too)
    Pakistan - Imran, Wasim
    South Africa - G Pollock, Kallis
    Sri Lanka - Murali, Sangakkara
    West Indies - Sobers, Viv Richards (cursing myself for leaving out Marshall)
    Last edited by ankitj; 09-05-2011 at 02:37 AM.

vcs
    Zimbabwe - Andy Flower, Heath Streak

West Indies have the closest battle as far as the 2nd greatest cricketers go TBH.Because all 3 of Sobers,Marshall and Richards are guaranteed a place in every All Time 11.No other country can boast of their 3 greatest cricketers having a guaranteed spot in an All Time 11,or atleat not with so much certainty as West Indies IMO.
    Last edited by salman85; 09-05-2011 at 12:23 AM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by salman85 View Post
    West Indies have the closest battle as far as the 2nd greatest cricketers go TBH.Because all 3 of Sobers,Marshall and Richards are guaranteed a place in every All Time 11.No other country can boast of their 3 greatest cricketers having a guaranteed spot in an All Time 11,or atleat not with so much certainty as West Indies IMO.
    Bradman, Warne, McGrath? Imran, Waqar, Wasim?

Bradman,Warne and Imran are the ones who are 100% guaranteed to make an All-Time 11.

While Waqar,Wasim and McGrath are amongst the greatest fast bowlers to play the game,they would not be in EVERY all-time 11 ever compiled.Bradman,Warne and Imran would be there 100%.

State Vice-Captain
    bradman and sobers would make every all time 11.

certainly not imran! (he didn't even make the cricinfo one, not that i agreed with that)

or warne. or tendulkar. or richards. or lara.
    Last edited by hang on; 09-05-2011 at 01:31 AM.
    i know i am god. since when i pray i find i am talking to myself.

(massive apologies to barnes)

Richards,Warne and Imran would.Richards probably has a higher probability of being there than Imran and Warne.While you could bring up arguments to not have Imran and Warne there,Richards is a sureshot inclusion.

Imran would slot in as the greatest bowling all-rounder of all time.Warne would make most all-time sides too,but yes,he could probably be replaced by Murali in as many sides as he gets picked in.It's all subjective as far as Murali and Warne go.

Imran would have to be there because the gap between him,Botham,Kapil and Hadlee is greater than the gap between Murali and Warne.

Anyway,that discussion ir for another thread.Not this one.We're talking about the 2nd greatest crickets from the respective countries.
    Last edited by salman85; 09-05-2011 at 01:33 AM.

Banned
    Ah, I thought you were talking about country all-time elevens.

State Vice-Captain
    a lot of all time sides do not need a bowling all rounder as distinct from the 'regular' all rounder.....just all rounder does it. in which case, it is almost invariably sobers. while many might believe in the need for one, many also don't. (the cricinfo bunch would be a case in point, i would suppose).

if a bowling allrounder were to be required, many could easily argue for the inclusion of miller over imran. nothing in the stats to separate them. or in the charisma stakes!

also, not convinced that richards would be a certainty. headley, lara, pollock, hammond all have quite some arguments in their favour.

Banned
    Yeah I'd say Bradman and Sobers are the only certainties in an all-time eleven.

vcs
    Gilchrist also, but that's partly because of the uniqueness of his role.

State Vice-Captain
    the second greatest from each country:

aus - warne
    bang - bashar
    eng - hutton
    ind - gavaskar
    nz - crowe
    pak - akram
    saf - pollock g.
    sl - sangakkara
    zim - streak

School Boy/Girl Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by salman85 View Post
    Richards,Warne and Imran would.Richards probably has a higher probability of being there than Imran and Warne.While you could bring up arguments to not have Imran and Warne there,Richards is a sureshot inclusion.

Imran would slot in as the greatest bowling all-rounder of all time.Warne would make most all-time sides too,but yes,he could probably be replaced by Murali in as many sides as he gets picked in.It's all subjective as far as Murali and Warne go.

Imran would have to be there because the gap between him,Botham,Kapil and Hadlee is greater than the gap between Murali and Warne.

Anyway,that discussion ir for another thread.Not this one.We're talking about the 2nd greatest crickets from the respective countries.
    When Sobers is the best all - rounder, Imran is not even among top 5 bowler , then how is he a certainity in AT XI. Even kallis is better all rounder than Imran according to ICC all rounder rating.

Aww.Aren't you a cute little thing.

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information