Cricket Player Manager
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The 2nd Greatest Cricketer From A Country

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    He said "if he stops" batting tbf. It's an interesting question, can you really call someone an allrounder if they're good at both disciplines over the course of their career, but never at the same time? Ie. always good at one of batting or bowling at any point in their career, but not both?
    Yes it is an interesting question but it is quite stupid and silly of people to claim that Imran playing second fiddle to Wasim in the last six years of his career. Imran was the main Pakistan bowler until 1989 when Waqar emerged. Until 1989 he was opening the bowling and bowling many overs.

Imran was the main strike bowler for Pakistan since his return from injury in 1985. Wasim came in the side in 1984
    And smalishah's avatar is the most classy one by far Jan certainly echoes the sentiments of CW

Yeah we don't crap in the first world; most of us would actually have no idea what that was emanating from Ajmal's backside. Why isn't it roses and rainbows like what happens here? PEWS's retort to Ganeshran on Daemon's picture depicting Ajmal's excreta

School Boy/Girl Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by smalishah84 View Post
    Yes it is an interesting question but it is quite stupid and silly of people to claim that Imran playing second fiddle to Wasim in the last six years of his career. Imran was the main Pakistan bowler until 1989 when Waqar emerged. Until 1989 he was opening the bowling and bowling many overs.

Imran was the main strike bowler for Pakistan since his return from injury in 1985. Wasim came in the side in 1984
    He bowled extremely less in 1986 series when Pak toured India as well as when India toured pak in 1989.

His peak was in 1983 series in which he took 40 wickets.

I'm as much a fan of graphs as anyone but rankings points are hardly the be all and end all. I've always thought that they're too slow to adjust, for example.

Back on topic, I'm surprised no-one mentioned WG Grace for England yet, as neither the best or second best English cricketer.
    "Your averages, captain, coaches and players can probably survive incompetence over a relatively short series, so if youíre going to be rubbish, make sure itís against Pakistan, Sri Lanka, New Zealand or someone."

Quote Originally Posted by sehwag fan View Post
    Miller had better all-rounder rating than Imran for 10 years. Not for few months. And btw did Imran that peak rating for 10 years. Go and check again.
    Read my posts again to see why Imran was not higher in the all rounder ratings because he came really low down in the order.

All that you are saying that while Imran may not have been as rounded an all rounder than say Sobers or Miller doesn't say which is the better all rounder.

School Boy/Girl Captain
    Read my posts again to see why Imran was not higher in the all rounder ratings because he came really low down in the order.

All that you are saying that while Imran may not have been as rounded an all rounder than say Sobers or Miller doesn't say which is the better all rounder.
    So basically there is a question mark over his claim to second best all rounder.

And btw this topic came when Salman said Imran was a certainity in ATXI, which he is not .

Only Bradman and Sobers are certainity. Nobody else is .

He bowled extremely less in 1986 series when Pak toured India as well as when India toured pak in 1989.

His peak was in 1983 series in which he took 40 wickets.
    lol..........dude first you say that Imran was not bowling much from the time that Wasim came and now you start picking individual series. Get some coherency in your arguments.

Bowling records | Test matches | Cricinfo Statsguru | ESPN Cricinfo

Here is Imran's bowling workload from 1985 onwards till 1990. He is bowling quite a lot.

In England 1987 and WI 1988 he was the man of the series BECAUSE he was the best bowler and all rounder

So basically there is a question mark over his claim to second best all rounder.

And btw this topic came when Salman said Imran was a certainity in ATXI, which he is not .

If people would like a bowling all rounder they would prefer Imran. For a batting all rounder they would go for Sobers. Depends on preference or team balance.

I would prefer a stronger bowling unit since I find good bowlers a rarer proposition than good batsman and feel that a strong bowling unit would mean greater results for my team. Although the current indian line up does not match up to my preference (an exception I should say) but then you don't get such extraordinarily strong line ups anywhere.
    Last edited by smalishah84; 09-05-2011 at 04:38 AM.

While Imran may not be a certainty in an all time eleven there was no need to make up false claims like Imran did not bowl a lot since Wasim came in. Such blanket statements without proof end up making you look like a fool (not far off the mark though )

School Boy/Girl Captain
    lol..........dude first you say that Imran was not bowling much from the time that Wasim came and now you start picking individual series. Get some coherency in your arguments.

Bowling records | Test matches | Cricinfo Statsguru | ESPN Cricinfo

Here is Imran's bowling workload from 1985 onwards till 1990. He is bowling quite a lot.

In England 1987 and WI 1988 he was the man of the series BECAUSE he was the best bowler and all rounder
    From 1985-87 Hadlee was the best all-rounder. Go and check rankings.
    So if imran is bowling quite a bit then why his all-rounder rating never came above 500 for more than 7 months in 12 years.

He was never consistent enough with bat as well as bowl at the same time as compared to sobers, kallis and Miller.And this is reflected in rating points over 12 years.

So if imran is bowling quite a bit then why his all-rounder rating never came above 500 for more than 7 months in 12 years.

He was never consistent enough with bat as well as bowl at the same time as compared to sobers, kallis and Miller.And this is reflected in rating points over 12 years.
    Because he came in at number 7 and number 8 throughout most of his career. I don't think that is too difficult to understand

School Boy/Girl Captain
    While Imran may not be a certainty in an all time eleven there was no need to make up false claims like Imran did not bowl a lot since Wasim came in. Such blanket statements without proof end up making you look like a fool (not far off the mark though )

So basically when bowling-condition were tough he did not use to bowl. As this was case in sub-continent in 1986 and 1989 series. :

School Boy/Girl Captain
    Because he came in at number 7 and number 8 throughout most of his career. I don't think that is too difficult to understand
    Which resulted in huge number of not-outs and hence higher batting average. So you basically proved my point that Imran khan was never good enough to bat higher than 6 . So he is not the second -best all - rounder.

And look at Sobers bowling SR of 92 for his career.

You know which bowler has a SR of 92. Tendulkar. So according to you Sobers is not an all rounder because his bowling SR is 92 which is more than Sachin's .

Which resulted in huge number of not-outs and hence higher batting average. So you basically proved my point that Imran khan was never good enough to bat higher than 6 . So he is not the second -best all - rounder.
    No I didn't. Pakistan batting was already strong enough during that time that Imran could not bat higher up the order AND he was never supposed to be an opener in any case

So basically when bowling-condition were tough he did not use to bowl. As this was case in sub-continent in 1986 and 1989 series. :
    Which 1986 series are you talking about?????

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information