• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best against the best

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
G. Chappell. It's quite a feat to be mentioned amongst the best batsmen of all time and still be underrated IMO. What he did in the above and especially in WSC shows just how good he was. Very few batsmen are near him when considering the best attacks.

Borges

International Regular
G. Chappell. It's quite a feat to be mentioned amongst the best batsmen of all time and still be underrated IMO.
Crikey! Ravi Shastri has somehow got into that list. Ah, the joys of pure unadulterated statistics!

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Well, I am not referring to that article with regards to batsmen mentioned amongst the greats. I meant in general conversation.

Also, it's not purporting Shastri is one of the greatest batsmen by the looks of it. He averaged 30 against the great WIndies attack - as stipulated in that analysis. It's not a perfect analysis though. It starts considering the Australian attack from 1985 and which is silly. It also doesn't seem to differentiate between attacks that were truly great or attacks that played under their name. Like the series Gavaskar played when WIndies had their bowlers at WSC or Tendulkar played when Australia didn't have her best bowlers.

Last edited:

smash84

The Tiger King
I would be interested in which bowling line ups did well against these teams. I am guessing that Pakistan did well against the WI but who did well against the Aussie batting line up?

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Exposes the myth that Dravid was very good against strong bowling units tbh. Something I have been very unpopular for pointing out amongst my friends. An analysis against SA would've been good too! And glad to see Sehwag where he is.

And Greg Chappel a batsman in the highest class. No doubting that, really. Don't think he is underrated though. Get's mentioned alongside the best of the 60s to 80s era (The two Richards and G. Pollock)

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Not really a big fan of Anantha Narayanan's analyses TBH. Without going by statistics, I would rate Steve Waugh quite high among the batsmen I've watched against top-quality bowling.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Exposes the myth that Dravid was very good against strong bowling units tbh. Something I have been very unpopular for pointing out amongst my friends. An analysis against SA would've been good too! And glad to see Sehwag where he is.

And Greg Chappel a batsman in the highest class. No doubting that, really. Don't think he is underrated though. Get's mentioned alongside the best of the 60s to 80s era (The two Richards and G. Pollock)
Might just get Rahul back up in that list if you included them to be honest..

And add to that, to include the Aussie attack of 2008 as great is laughable..

Last edited:

sehwag fan

School Boy/Girl Captain
Well, I am not referring to that article with regards to batsmen mentioned amongst the greats. I meant in general conversation.

Also, it's not purporting Shastri is one of the greatest batsmen by the looks of it. He averaged 30 against the great WIndies attack - as stipulated in that analysis. It's not a perfect analysis though. It starts considering the Australian attack from 1985 and which is silly. It also doesn't seem to differentiate between attacks that were truly great or attacks that played under their name. Like the series Gavaskar played when WIndies had their bowlers at WSC or Tendulkar played when Australia didn't have her best bowlers.
When chappell played against WI pace quartret he averaged 14
Cricket Records | Records | The Frank Worrell Trophy, 1981/82 | Most runs | ESPN Cricinfo

He never faced WI pace quarter in WI. And which Australian best attack are you talking.
Tendulkar won man of the series in the only series he played against Australian so called best attack.

Bun

Banned

good joke reg tendulkar. so who won the ,an of series again in 99?

Borges

International Regular
took only 9 posts for Tendulkar > All
And took only one post for that to draw a reaction.

I can now see two threads (check out Text XI: born overseas) with the potential to go down the drain.

Last edited:

smash84

The Tiger King
When chappell played against WI pace quartret he averaged 14
Cricket Records | Records | The Frank Worrell Trophy, 1981/82 | Most runs | ESPN Cricinfo

He never faced WI pace quarter in WI. And which Australian best attack are you talking.
Tendulkar won man of the series in the only series he played against Australian so called best attack.
I think this is a bit more representative.

Although his average is still a shade under 30. Quite surprising for me.

Batting records | Test matches | Cricinfo Statsguru | ESPN Cricinfo

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Was better than it was in the 2004 tour.
Haha yeah.

I loved, absolutely loved, Dravid's heroics during the 2003/04 tour. But the 2007/08 attack was much better. Lee was a far better bowler, Stuart Clark was very good and Mitch was beginning his rise.

Hogg was not much worse than MacGil (in that specific series, not overall obviously).

Howe_zat

Audio File
Was better than it was in the 2004 tour.
Really? I know Warne had a poor record in India but the '04 attack seems a lot stronger. What happened to it?

2004: McGrath, Gillespie, Kasper, Warne, Clarke/Katich

2008: Lee, Clark/Siddle/Krezja, Johnson, White(!), Watson/Clarke/Katich