• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What's happening in English domestic cricket - Part One

Howe_zat

Audio File
Nice post, Woods.

I'm not sure I agree that Morgan and Bopara are as far ahead as you've said. I get the impression that James Taylor is really pushing them, and may well get ahead of one of Bopara or Morgan. If he carries on his form in both formats, he may well find himself called up for the Tests against India, if the chosen #6 doesn't have a great series against Sri Lanka.

He's got another 50 today on a dodgy pitch while his team collapsed around him, not the sort of thing you often see from someone his age. I think he's the real thing.

Woodster

International Captain
Nice post, Woods.

I'm not sure I agree that Morgan and Bopara are as far ahead as you've said. I get the impression that James Taylor is really pushing them, and may well get ahead of one of Bopara or Morgan. If he carries on his form in both formats, he may well find himself called up for the Tests against India, if the chosen #6 doesn't have a great series against Sri Lanka.

He's got another 50 today on a dodgy pitch while his team collapsed around him, not the sort of thing you often see from someone his age. I think he's the real thing.
Cheers Jakey boy!

I don't mean to downplay Taylor's achievements so far in his career, and to a lesser extent, this season, I just think that Bopara and Morgan currently have the edge on him and for him to usurp those two he would have needed a flyer at the start of this season. While he's been effective in games, without being outstanding, I don't think he's scored the sheer weight of runs that would see hi surpass Morgan, who was the spare batsman in Australia, or Bopara, who has been around the squad for a while and has found some very decent form.

I am desperate to see more of James Taylor, especially in four-day cricket, and watch how he constructs his innings. I am not raving about him as much, maybe because I haven't seen as much of him.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Great stuff Paul - does fail to pick up on three important questions though

1. Can Bopara or Morgan realistically challenge Luke Procter for the England number 6 berth?

2. What does Graeme Swann have to do to get the England spinner's berth ahead of Simon Kerrigan?

3. Will Matt Prior be able to prevent Gareth Cross taking his place behind the stumps for England?

Woodster

International Captain
Great stuff Paul - does fail to pick up on three important questions though

1. Can Bopara or Morgan realistically challenge Luke Procter for the England number 6 berth?

2. What does Graeme Swann have to do to get the England spinner's berth ahead of Simon Kerrigan?

3. Will Matt Prior be able to prevent Gareth Cross taking his place behind the stumps for England?
:laugh: Thanks mate, and indeed you raise three very thought provoking questions of your own. Surely Glenn Chapple will be feeling miffed at missing out on the ODI captaincy, after all Cook was selected from outside of the WC squad, why not the sprightly Chapple!

Borges

International Regular
That was a good read; thanks Woodster.

Definitely prefer James Taylor over either Eoin Morgan or Ravi Bopara for test matches. TBH, I haven't seen a lot of Taylor; to compensate, I have seen too much of the other two.