• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Alastair Cook is England's ODI Captain

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Seems an odd move. Do remember people on here a while back saying that Cook's really changed up his OD game, but to promote someone to captain who wasn't even in the team in the first place is itstl.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Succession management. The top job is his in a few years (probably after Strauss has retained the urn a couple more times) so he might as well get to grips with it in micky mouse cricket.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
He is not even in the ODI team .

Making him captain is strange. It basically guarantees his selection though.

Not sure how well Strauss Cook opening combination would do in the modern game.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
England have actually been doing well in limited-overs cricket in the last couple of years.. winning the T20 WC, and ODI series against SA, Australia, Pakistan etc. Mainly it is down to stability and good selection. Strange that they would want to chuck all that and "succession plan" with Cook when they could have gone for someone who's an automatic pick for them in ODI cricket (Stuart Broad/Swann/Morgan/Bell). Swann would have been my choice.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Fully expected this to come at some point, would rather Strauss have continue for at least a year but was clear that this was not going to happen.

Lack of alternatives the problem I suppose, Cook has been pretty decent in domestic one day cricket of late so we shall see.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
If Strauss goes then it makes more sense.

But didn't they deny it a while back that he is retiring right now?

Who were the other options except for Cook?

Howe_zat

Audio File
If Strauss goes then it makes more sense.

But didn't they deny it a while back that he is retiring right now?

Who were the other options except for Cook?
They did deny it, but that was during the WC, so ofc they just wanted to get rid of the distraction.

Who else is there is part of the problem. The only people we can really say who have a confirmed spot in the lineup right now are Swann and Broad (to a lesser extent, Trott and Bresnan.)

Which is why, since I consider Strauss still one of our best ODI batsmen, I thought there shouldn't have been a change.

Jacknife

International Captain
They did deny it, but that was during the WC, so ofc they just wanted to get rid of the distraction.

Who else is there is part of the problem. The only people we can really say who have a confirmed spot in the lineup right now are Swann and Broad (to a lesser extent, Trott and Bresnan.)

Which is why, since I consider Strauss still one of our best ODI batsmen, I thought there shouldn't have been a change.
Agree, for me Strauss should be still opening, easily been one of the best players this past 2 years. I'm not sure about Cook, I think he could quite easily do a similar job to Strauss and that's how they are probably seeing it, a like for like replacement. I think, he has improved his one day game and scores quite quickly but he hasn't played for the one day team, bar that Bang tour, for a fair length of time.
You should always pick your best players for the side, then pick a Captain out of them, not pick a Captain first who's not in the side.

tooextracool

International Coach
Not sure what the fuss is to be honest. We swapped one average ODI batsman with another average ODI batsman who just so happens to be younger and will actually be around for the next world cup. Cook got a raw deal in his last run with the ODI side so I don't see why he shouldn't get a proper go. Is he the best choice as captain? Probably not, I would have gone for Swann. However, in looking out for the future of the England test team, the reasoning is sound.

And please dont bring up Strauss' recent record. His record against the top 8 teams in the world is and always has been ordinary.

Bun

Banned
strange decision. so what exactly changed between march and now to propel cook from an odi discard to captain???

almost like imposing his captaincy on others, and might result in not so desired consequences like clarke's t20 captaincy

tooextracool

International Coach
Should think that England scraping through to the QFs of a world cup before bowing out is a pretty significant event between March and May. Given that England have fallen at the first hurdle for every world cup since 1992 (defining first hurdle as the the stage in the world cup that involved narrowing down to less than 8 teams) theres an obvious need for change.

Bun

Banned
of course change is needed, but this is some change indeed. I am merely puzzled by cook's credentials to be considered as no.1 name in the team sheet, from not even in top 15 just two months back.

tbh, I am at a loss to suggest worthier names, maybe trott? swann? surely it's best to select the best xi and appoint one of them captain?

Furball

Evil Scotsman
How can a player go from not being in the ODI squad to being the captain?

Really poor decision this one. Cook's domestic record with Essex is actually pretty good so I'm not opposed to him coming into the side per se (and he had a good series against Bangladesh) but making him captain is mental.

Borges

International Regular
of course change is needed, but this is some change indeed. I am merely puzzled by cook's credentials to be considered as no.1 name in the team sheet, from not even in top 15 just two months back.

tbh, I am at a loss to suggest worthier names, maybe trott? swann? surely it's best to select the best xi and appoint one of them captain?
I think the genuine problem that England face is that they do not have much of an idea of what their best ODI XI is. If they wanted a captain who definitely should be in the first choice XI, the options would have narrowed down to two, may be three names.