• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Life or Death: Mixed team to play Marauding Martians

smash84

The Tiger King
Hadlee rocked. Who else of the supposed "all-time-greats" carried their entire country's bowling attack for 15 years? Not many.

Following the Jake Howe School of Tail-End Selections I see. You are learning, young padawan.
Who is Jake Howe? And what is Padawan???

But it is a pretty awesome team. Will give no corner to the Martians.

The bowlers are accurate and have great ability to swing the new ball. In Imran we have a master of reverse swing and with. Solid batting till number 8 and Hadlee can crack a few as well. In fact even Shane Warne and Marshall could smack it around a bit IF The need ever arose. I would have to say though that the fielding would not be that great for my side. But hell, with this kind of firepower I don't need to many good fielders :cool:

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Watson
Tendulkar
Bradman
Viv
Ponting
Sobers
Gilchrist
Miller
Wasim
Hadlee
Warne

Last edited:

Austerlitz

U19 Debutant
I think by jack howe he means himself and padawan is star wars termology for pupil.
A star wars buff i see,me too.:)
May the force be with u.:cool:

hang on

State Vice-Captain
watson?! u're having us on.

hope his fear of the supernatural doesn't extend to the extraterrestrial. but seriously, watto? what's he going to do? make them die laughing?

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
I wanted 5 good bowlers to bowl 10 overs in ODIs and 4 each in T20s. It's a bit early in Tests to have him open but I think he's good value for the other games. Although it's early days still, he averages 50 as opener in Tests so I reckon he'll be ok for 1 Test. He'll probably get 50 and get out LOL. Before you bring it up: in my team Sobers isn't getting the ball.

Last edited:

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
It was him or Hayden. He's not as good as Hayden in Tests but arguably as good if not better in ODIs/T20s as a batsman alone - plus he can bowl, and well. I don't think it's that ridiculous at all. If you had my same exact team who would you have instead of Watson?

Last edited:

bagapath

International Captain
Trumper
Sehwag
Bradman
V.Richards
Sangakara (wk)
Sobers
Imran (c)
Hadlee
Akram
Marshall
Warne

Hayden
Greenidge
Lara
G.Chappell
Hammond
A.Flower (wk)
Miller (c)
Botham
Lindwall
Murali
Garner

hang on

State Vice-Captain
thought that that was the reason but still surprised. i hadn't noticed that gilly also hadn't passed muster.

Last edited:

bagapath

International Captain
Imran, Hadlee, Marshall, Akram and Warne (and Sobers) is a great great attack.

Miller, Lindwall, Garner, Murali and Botham is less intimidating, I admit. But can be equally effective.

Dhoni, Ponting and oreilly narrowly missed out.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Interesting take on it though from Bagapath. I found myself being shackled a bit because I wanted both Tendulkar and Gilchrist and it seemed like I'd have to forgo notable openers for the sake of team balance. I reckon Ponting > Lara over all formats - plus his fielding. I also think you could have picked a more known quantity than Trumper.

Last edited:

bagapath

International Captain
I also think you could have picked a more known quantity than Trumper.
Trumper averaged 39 when the global average was 23. He scored at a SR of 70 in test cricket. In this era the equivalent numbers are 46 at a SR of, may be, 80 - which is the same as gilly's stats. Trumper would've been a natural in limited overs cricket.

Last edited:

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It was him or Hayden. He's not as good as Hayden in Tests but arguably as good if not better in ODIs/T20s as a batsman alone - plus he can bowl, and well. I don't think it's that ridiculous at all. If you had my same exact team who would you have instead of Watson?
Yeah, that makes sense to me. I would have given it a few more years to establish his stats in Test cricket though.

bagapath : Why Sanga/Flower over Gilly?

smash84

The Tiger King
Imran, Hadlee, Marshall, Akram and Warne (and Sobers) is a great great attack.

Miller, Lindwall, Garner, Murali and Botham is less intimidating, I admit. But can be equally effective.

Dhoni, Ponting and oreilly narrowly missed out.
That is a mighty good test bowling attack. No respite for the martians.

Imran, Hadlee, and macko all have sub 30 averages in all countries in the world. Macko is sub 25 everywhere and can also throw the bat around. Warne and Wasim end up looking weaker links in this attack :wacko:

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Trumper averaged 39 when the global average was 23. He scored at a SR of 70 in test cricket. In this era the equivalent numbers are 46 at a SR of, may be, 80 - which is the same as gilly's stats. Trumper would've been a natural in limited overs cricket.
And hence my point about "known quantity". I understand the argument you are bringing with reference to equivalent averages; I just find it that if cricket in Trumper's time was so different that the global average was 23 then the standards then and now are vastly different. Some 10 points different, actually. Then you factor in ODIs and T20s and it's even harder to gauge. Maybe he could do it, but I think it's a risky thing considering the fate of the world is on the line :p.