• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Upcoming stars of world cricket

Austerlitz

U19 Debutant
Name 5 of the youngstars from ur country that u thing will make it big in the international arena in the near future.

Countries

England,SA,Pak,Aus,Sl.N o WI since i don't know any poster from there in CW.

[There is already another thread on indian upcoming i think so not necessary]

Name them....what they do[right hand bat,wicketkeeper,off spinner .......examples]
Why u find them good.
And how good u think they can be...typically a comparison with a established or retired player Taken as the benchmark,whom u think given luck and chances he can be on par with or surpass.

Thanks.

Austerlitz

U19 Debutant
Well they are new guys so we don't know much about them..if u'll plz elaborate a little on them and their playstyle and how u rate them /their potential.

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
From Pakistan

Asad Shafiq
Azhar Ali
Fawad Alam (if he gets a game)
Junaid Khan
Hammad Azam
Afridi :ph34r:

Last edited:

salman85

International Debutant
Junaid Khan.

I thought he didn't look too impressive in the T20,and in the first ODI,but after that he has gotten better with every game.Seems to have a lot of potential.Good control,lively pace.Doesn't swing the ball as much as you'd expect from a Pakistani fast bowler,but he will learn with time.I don't want to compare him to any former Test Players,since he is not the next Wasim Akram.Whether he can fill the gap Amir left remains to be seen,since even Amir didn't show his true potential after 5 matches into his career.I think that given the right time and coaching,he could significantly fill the boots left by Amir.He has potential,but he needs the right coaching,and that should not be a problem with Waqar in the management.

Has a bright future IMO.

Another youngster i really like is Asad Shafique.I think we've effectivley found a player who can form the backbone of our batting line in the future.Has a very level head on his shoulders,can score at a good pace without taking too many needless risks,and most of all,seems to handle pressure well.Ideal for no.3.Very good attributes for a cricketer,and who knows,a future captain in the making perhaps.

Last edited:

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Angelo Mathews
Kaushal Silva
Dinesh Chandimal
Lahuru Thirimanne
Sachithra Senanayake

Borges

International Regular
The Saeed Anwaresque Usman Khawaja seems to be the most promising of the lot - from the bits that I've seen of him.

Mike5181

International Captain
Yeah, Usman Khuwaja will no doubt be a main stay in the Australia team once he finds his feet. I will throw Patrick Cummins in there with him as well. I only had to watch him bowl a couple of overs to know he is something special. He is only 17 and bowls as fast as anyone. Phillip Hughes(22) is still a talented player and although he has some technical issues what he has achieved at first class level and at the start of his test career can't be dismissed.

In New Zealand only really Kane Williamson(20) and Adam Milne(19) come to mind. Williamson in particular should really be looking at breaking a few NZ cricket records. He has a great technique and attitude towards the game as well as one of those body types that could see him invariably see him play well into his mid thirties if he wanted to. There is probably more maybe some other NZ users could shed some light on some of the talented under 19 players John Wright was talking about.

Last edited:

TumTum

Banned
In no particular order:

Phillip Hughes - To have a Hayden like career.
Usman Khawaja - Classy but not perfect, interesting to see how his career pans out.
Josh Hazlewood - Once he's fit again, I expect him to storm into the side and dominate ala McGrath.
Patrick Cummins - Fast and furious at such a young age, the next Lee.
Michael Beer :ph34r: - Has good flight, on turning pitches will get spin as well. Almost looks like a left handed Hauritz, but higher action and more revs.

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
For South Africa

TEST batting: Dean Elgar & Stiaan Van Zyl
ODI BATTING: Jonathan Vandiar, David Miller & Rilee Rossouw
SPIN: Dale Deeb & Dane Piedt
FAST BOWLING: Wayne Parnell & (Craig Alexander maybe)

Got a good SA u19 side touring England this year.

Names to watch out for are Quinton De Kock (wicket-keeper), Shaylen Pillay (batting all-rounder), Prenelan Subrayen (spin-bowling all-rounder), Calvin Savage (fast-bowling all-rounder) & Duanne Olivier (fast-bowler). Another young fast bowler is Jan Frylinck who unluckily missed out.

Mike5181

International Captain
For South Africa

TEST batting: Dean Elgar & Stiaan Van Zyl
ODI BATTING: Jonathan Vandiar, David Miller & Rilee Rossouw
SPIN: Dale Deeb & Dane Piedt
FAST BOWLING: Wayne Parnell & (Craig Alexander maybe)

Got a good SA u19 side touring England this year.

Names to watch out for are Quinton De Kock (wicket-keeper), Shaylen Pillay (batting all-rounder), Prenelan Subrayen (spin-bowling all-rounder), Calvin Savage (fast-bowling all-rounder) & Duanne Olivier (fast-bowler). Another young fast bowler is Jan Frylinck who unluckily missed out.
Neil Wagner is a South African who will probably be a black cap by next April i think if i remember correctly? His last couple of seasons in NZ first class have been really good particularly this year. He was the guy who took the infamous 5 wickets in an over
YouTube - Neil Wagner's record-breaking over (5 wickets in 1 over) 2011.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Well they are new guys so we don't know much about them..if u'll plz elaborate a little on them and their playstyle and how u rate them /their potential.
James Taylor (21). Middle order batsmen, tiny and unorthodox batting style, averages close to 50 in FC cricket and over 50 in OD cricket. Did well for England Lions in the winter.

Ben Stokes (19). Batting All rounder. Has done more in FC cricket but probably has a better chance of getting in the ODI side as his batting offers the kind of hitting we are missing. Has been working on his bowling over the summer, but still only a part-timeish option in the longer form of the game. Potential replacement for Collingwood in the ODI side.

Jos Buttler (20) - batsman/wicketkeeper, Has already demonstrated his explosiveness in limited overs cricket despite only bursting onto the scene last year, averaging 64 in OD cricket at a strike rate of 152. Doesn't keep at the moment as Kieswetter has the gloves but gets in the side as a batsman

Chris Woakes (22) - Bowling Allrounder (RMF). Already made his debut for the T20/ODI sides in the winter. Takes plenty of wickets at county level and starting to score plent of runs. Concerns about his pace at the highest level but plenty of opportunity to develop. His FC record is outstanding.

James Harris (20) - Pace bowler. Been Glamorgans best bowler since he was 17. Has a decent and improving record. Had an excellent season last year and did ok with the Lions over the winter. Can hold a bat as well

SamSawnoff

U19 Vice-Captain
I'm tired of hearing NSW youngsters always getting mentioned both in Aus and internationally.

So...
Nathan Coulter-Nile - somewhat of a hothead but quick and gets proper movement/swing on the ball
Chris Lynn - has proved to have a cool head under pressure for Qld - a lad for the 'boy stood on the burning deck' situations and how badly do the Aussies need one of them.
Matthew Wade - he's the most suspect of the lot as he may never even get matches for Aus if Paine is the frontrunner all the time.
Josh Hazelwood - very accurate, hopefully won't be thrown to the T20 wolves, he should be kept right away from that format (ok, I've included one NSW)
and finally Mitch Marsh - got elevated too early to the WA side, but makes for nearly as good viewing as his brother when his eye is in and hopefully will establish himself next season for the Warriors.

Spark

Global Moderator
I'm tired of hearing NSW youngsters always getting mentioned both in Aus and internationally.

So...
Nathan Coulter-Nile - somewhat of a hothead but quick and gets proper movement/swing on the ball
Chris Lynn - has proved to have a cool head under pressure for Qld - a lad for the 'boy stood on the burning deck' situations and how badly do the Aussies need one of them.
Matthew Wade - he's the most suspect of the lot as he may never even get matches for Aus if Paine is the frontrunner all the time.
Josh Hazelwood - very accurate, hopefully won't be thrown to the T20 wolves, he should be kept right away from that format (ok, I've included one NSW)
and finally Mitch Marsh - got elevated too early to the WA side, but makes for nearly as good viewing as his brother when his eye is in and hopefully will establish himself next season for the Warriors.
That's life. Biggest population and they like picking young players, so of course they're gonna get high representation.

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
NSW also has the right attitude to train and promote home-grown talent. Very rare for a cricketer outside the NSW system to get a job with the state side. Not a policy followed by the majority of the other state sides.

Last edited:

Borges

International Regular
Yeah, Usman Khuwaja will no doubt be a main stay in the Australia team once he finds his feet. I will throw Patrick Cummins in there with him as well. I only had to watch him bowl a couple of overs to know he is something special. He is only 17 and bowls as fast as anyone. Phillip Hughes(22) is still a talented player and although he has some technical issues what he has achieved at first class level and at the start of his test career can't be dismissed.

In New Zealand only really Kane Williamson(20) and Adam Milne(19) come to mind. Williamson in particular should really be looking at breaking a few NZ cricket records. He has a great technique and attitude towards the game as well as one of those body types that could see him invariably see him play well into his mid thirties if he wanted to. There is probably more maybe some other NZ users could shed some light on some of the talented under 19 players John Wright was talking about.
Don't know anything about the others, but Kane Williamson is definitely one for the future. Good technique and attitude, yeah, and also maturity beyond what one would expect from a 20-year old.

SamSawnoff

U19 Vice-Captain
That's life. Biggest population and they like picking young players, so of course they're gonna get high representation.
I've mentioned them as 'alternatives' to the usual suspects as some people may not even know that Lynn exists.