Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tony Greig

Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar

Tony Greig

Tony Greig

Tony Greig was a combative character. In this extract from a newly published biography we look back at one of the more controversial incidents in which he was involved.

Cricket Web Staff Member archie mac's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fredfertang View Post
    Tony Greig

Tony Greig was a combative character. In this extract from a newly published biography we look back at one of the more controversial incidents in which he was involved.
    Excellent stuff, will spent my hard earned on that one. Just won't tell Mrs Mac
    You know it makes sense.

Banned
    Ever considered writing for a living, fredfertang? You're brilliant.

Quote Originally Posted by Blaze 18 View Post
    Almost as good as David Tossell

International Captain
    I've only ever seen the Kallicharran Run Out once and that was the day after it happened. My 37 years later recollection is that Greig genuinely thought he was running him out legitimately with no gamesmanship involved. All that needed to happen was for Mike Denness to instantly withdraw the appeal.

Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaze 18 View Post
    Thanks Blaze

It's a nice idea - but I wouldn't know where to even begin

Quote Originally Posted by Lillian Thomson View Post
    I've only ever seen the Kallicharran Run Out once and that was the day after it happened. My 37 years later recollection is that Greig genuinely thought he was running him out legitimately with no gamesmanship involved. All that needed to happen was for Mike Denness to instantly withdraw the appeal.
    Interesting maybe Boycott was right about the Scotsman

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    very well written Fred
    And smalishah's avatar is the most classy one by far Jan certainly echoes the sentiments of CW

Yeah we don't crap in the first world; most of us would actually have no idea what that was emanating from Ajmal's backside. Why isn't it roses and rainbows like what happens here? PEWS's retort to Ganeshran on Daemon's picture depicting Ajmal's excreta

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by archie mac View Post
    Interesting maybe Boycott was right about the Scotsman
    Boycott is gun

The book looks like a very good read. As someone who first took an interest in the game in the early 1970's, Greig was someone that I rated highly - clearly someone who was more willing than most of the England side to get stuck in when the going got tough. His runs nearly always came when it mattered rather than when the going was easy .His period in charge of the side is somewhat under-rated imo, even if his stupidly obnoxious 'grovel' comment was a massive own-goal.

I occasionally wonder what would have happened if Packer hadn't come along. Brearley would never have captained England, for instance, as Greig's tenure would probably have lasted until the end of the 1970's.

Quote Originally Posted by wpdavid View Post
    The book looks like a very good read. As someone who first took an interest in the game in the early 1970's, Greig was someone that I rated highly - clearly someone who was more willing than most of the England side to get stuck in when the going got tough. His runs nearly always came when it mattered rather than when the going was easy .His period in charge of the side is somewhat under-rated imo, even if his stupidly obnoxious 'grovel' comment was a massive own-goal.

I occasionally wonder what would have happened if Packer hadn't come along. Brearley would never have captained England, for instance, as Greig's tenure would probably have lasted until the end of the 1970's.
    I think we had a thread here called "what if" would have made a good question. I always wondered if England had Greig and Botham what might have been

I think we had a thread here called "what if" would have made a good question. I always wondered if England had Greig and Botham what might have been
    I suppose we may have been spared Botham's captaincy against WI in 1980 & 1981. Apart from that, the England side in the 3rd & 4th tests against Aus in 1977 give us a fair idea of what the side may have looked like. Probably with Gooch replacing Brearley around 1978 or 1979 and Gower replacing Roope around the same time. You'd imagine that Greig would have gone to SA in 1982 though.
    Last edited by wpdavid; 01-05-2011 at 04:51 AM.

I suppose we may have been spared Botham's captaincy against WI in 1980 & 1981. Apart from that, the England side in the 3rd & 4th tests against Aus in 1977 give us a fair idea of what the side may have looked like. Probably with Gooch replacing Brearley around 1978 or 1979 and Gower replacing Roope around the same time. You'd imagine that Greig would have gone to SA in 1982 though.
    The 82 was a big loss to England for the three years at least three walk up Test players in the rebels

The 82 was a big loss to England for the three years at least three walk up Test players in the rebels
    Gooch was the big loss of course. Emburey to a lesser extent. On the plus side, it saved the selectors the tricky duty of retiring Boycott, as the old bugger would have played on for years given the chance.

Gooch was the big loss of course. Emburey to a lesser extent. On the plus side, it saved the selectors the tricky duty of retiring Boycott, as the old bugger would have played on for years given the chance.
    Throw in Gooch, Emburey and Boycott and I wonder if it would have been enough to half the series against the Aussies in 82-83

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information