• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Second ODI XI

Yas

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Just browsing cricinfo as you do and came across a few old favourite players. This made me think that there are a lot of players out there who are struggling to get in to their ODI international teams but still are pretty talented players with some good interntaional experience. I decided to see if I could make an XI out of these players.

1. Loots Bosman
2. Shaun Marsh
3. Shoaib Malik ©
4. Owais Shah
5. Samit Patel
6. James Hopes
7. Dinesh Khartik (K)
8.Rana Naved
9. Dirk Nannes
10. Pragyan Ohja
11. RP Singh

Tried to keep the average age down so to not make it a team of has beens i.e no Gibbs, Boucher etc but kind of struggled with openers hence Bosman. And also stayed away from the current West Indian player dispute! But I think it's a pretty handy XI but maybe lacking that gun batsman.

Thoughts?

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
Loots Bosman doesn't deserve mention. He was poor when playing for South Africa, and his overall record in domestic cricket isn't great (I admit his last season for the Dolphis was OK).

Yas you are spot on though that opening options are limited. Perhaps Steve Davies?

Yas

Yes I did think of Davies for the WK spot then forgot about him as an opener once I selected Karthik. Your right he should probably replace Bosman. For some reason this team seemed a lot better in my head! Didn't realise how many "bits and pieces" players there are lol

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Murali Vijay as a opener could be a option,if we are lacking there.

Last edited:

Howe_zat

Audio File
Interesting thought. Samit Patel hasn't played an ODI for years, mind. No-one's expecting Shah to be back soon either. Just throwing some names around:

Craig Kieswetter, Imran Nazir, Azhar Ali, Rohit Sharma, Alviro Petersen, Robin Uthappa, Albie Morkel, Nathan Hauritz, Daryl Tuffey, Sohali Tanvir, Steven Finn.

Yas

Interesting thought. Samit Patel hasn't played an ODI for years, mind. No-one's expecting Shah to be back soon either. Just throwing some names around:

Craig Kieswetter, Imran Nazir, Azhar Ali, Rohit Sharma, Alviro Petersen, Robin Uthappa, Albie Morkel, Nathan Hauritz, Daryl Tuffey, Sohali Tanvir, Steven Finn.
Wow how could I forget some of these gems!

Kieswetter would defo be in the squad as would Vijay, Sharma and Uthappa. Not seen too much of Alviro Petersen as an ODI player to make a judgement and Imran Nazir is just a no no. Morkel is always in and aroud the SAF squad so I will discount him. Haurtiz is an interesting one but think he falls in to the category of a has been :ph34r: alongside Tuffey.

Azhar Ali doesnt seem to be considered for ODI cricket for Pakistan so we will leave him out and I think Sohail Tanvir would be in the Pakistan team if he was not injured at the mo. Don't really rate Finn as an ODI player to be fair.

Yes I havent included any Sri Lankan players because my knowledge of SL fringe players is not great!

With Samit Patel I think he would make a great addition to the Eng ODI team and but for the well publicised "fitness problems" im sure he would be around. Last I heard he lost some weight and is close to selection again? I have always rated Shah as an ODI player and am slightly surprised he never cemented his place in the team.

Last edited:

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
If fringe players of SL are added then Dinesh Chandimal, Thilina Kandamby, Dhammika Prasad, Chinthaka Jayasinghe worth a mention.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Wasn't Albie dropped from the World Cup squad? Still, they may bring him back after their lower order failed them so badly in that tournament.

Hauritz and Tuffey as has-beens seems pretty harsh. I think Tuffey only got dropped because people keep forgetting he exists, I can never remember what he looks like. Hauritz meanwhile is probably the best ODI spinner in Australia right now, despite being overlooked for XD.

Thought the Virus looked pretty good as an ODI batsman against England in 2009. Made three fifties in row even amongst his teammates batting horribly in the 4th ODI.

Last edited:

Spark

Global Moderator
Hauritz should be going to SL. And playing every game barring a greentop (and maybe T20s)

Noble One

Taken the Australia only option.

1. D Warner
2. S Katich
3. B Hodge
4. M North
5. A Voges
6. J Hopes
7. L Ronchi
8. N Hauritz
9. P Siddle
10. S Clark
11. B Hilfenhaus

Skipped over players like Harris, McKay and Doherty as they all would have been close to WC selection if fit.

Spark

Global Moderator
Hauritz is in our first XI IMO. (/broken record)

Tim Paine doesn't even make the second XI. Ouch.

Mitch Starc not getting a mention? Or too fresh?

Last edited:

Yas

Wasn't Albie dropped from the World Cup squad? Still, they may bring him back after their lower order failed them so badly in that tournament.

Hauritz and Tuffey as has-beens seems pretty harsh. I think Tuffey only got dropped because people keep forgetting he exists, I can never remember what he looks like. Hauritz meanwhile is probably the best ODI spinner in Australia right now, despite being overlooked for XD.
Ok I didn't realised Hauritz was only 29 years old! For some reason I thought he was 34 odd nearing the end of his career lol :ph34r: yep hes a good player indeed my bad! Tuffey though I think there are better bowlers out there who are struggling to get in to their respective teams? Although he stats are quite respectable.

When picking my XI irst time my goal was to make a young(ish) team that could play together for a few years to come however from the top of my h ead not being able to thinkg of many younger players i.e. Sharma, Uthappa I had to select some older players!

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
For SL

First XI - Dilshan, M. Jayawardane, Sangakkara, Chandimal, Silva, Mathews, Perera, Randiv, Kulasekara, Malinga, Mendis / Fernando

Second XI
1. Upul Tharanga (L)
2. Dilshan Munaweera (R)
3. Lahiru Thrimanne (L)
4. Thilina Kandamby (L, LBG, c)
5. Kaushal Silva (R, wk)
6. Jeewan Mendis (L, LBG)
7. Chinthaka Jayasinghe (R, RM)
8. Farveez Maharoof (R, RFM)
9. Sachithra Senanayake (R, OB)
10. Suranga Lakmal (R, RFM)
11. Chanaka Welagedara (R, LFM)

Dhammika Prasad (R, RFM), Malinga Bandara (R, LBG), Rangana Herath (L, SLA) and Nuwan Pradeep (R, RF) will complete the squad

Noble One

Hauritz is in our first XI IMO. (/broken record)

Tim Paine doesn't even make the second XI. Ouch.
Knowing the luck of Hauritz, he probably won't make the Sri Lanka tour. He truly is unloved.

I limited my other selections to non WC squad members. Players with international experience only.

Howe_zat

Audio File
England's Second XI should probably be settled after we get an idea of wtf our first XI is.

But picking from those who didn't make the WC squad:

Davies
Kieswetter
Taylor
Hildreth
Stokes/Patel
Buttler
Rashid
Woakes
Plunkett
Briggs
Finn

Yas

Pakistan XI who have played ODI cricket and could concievebly play ODI's but will more than likely never play on the international scene again:

1. Imran Nazir
2. Imran Farhat
3. Yasir Hameed
4. Mohammad Yousuf (C)
5. Faisal Iqbal
6. Kamran Akmal (K) :ph34r:
7. Abdul Razzaq
8. Yasir Arafat (IMO should be given another chance)
9. Rana Naved
10. Danish Kaneria
11. Sohail Khan

NOTE: This is not a team I would ever want to see walk on to a cricket field but purely a team based on the above heading!

Yas

England's Second XI should probably be settled after we get an idea of wtf our first XI is.

But picking from those who didn't make the WC squad:

Davies
Kieswetter
Taylor
Hildreth
Stokes/Patel
Buttler
Rashid
Woakes
Plunkett
Briggs
Finn
Whatever happened to Joe Denly?

Howe_zat

Audio File
Whatever happened to Joe Denly?
Well he was dropped from the side after a poor performance in the 2009 series against Australia. Since then they've wanted a keeper who can open the batting. They've found two, so Denly is a little way back in the pecking order, but then both Davies and CK were dropped for the WC for no reason I can think of.

Alastair Cook, after his recent Test form, is ahead of Denly too now. He is still 25, so if he makes runs for Kent there's every chance of a comeback.

Last edited:

Yas

Yer I seem to remember Davies having a good series against Pakistan last summer in the ODI's. I think that's one of the greatest problems that England face with their ODI team every year it just gets filled with the "flavour of the month" cricketers who are given one seires to prove themselves then not picked for the winter series, then the cycle repeats itself...