• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

India's Upcoming Batsman - How do you rate them?

Who will be the Best Test Batsman?

• Total voters

Shri

Mr. Glass
We are gonna learn a lot about these guys in the next year, but it's a very exciting time, Pujara looks like the kind of guy that is prepared to work really hard to correct imperfections, so I'd back him to learn how to play overseas, Kohli has already had some success but Rohit and the openers are the big questions, I'm backing them to do ok, although Vijay worries me tbh
Vijay isn't going to last but deserves the chance to succeed or fail considering what he has done so far. Much like another Tamil Nadu opener Sadagoppan Ramesh in the late 90s. Played Wasim Akram and Waqar beautifully in one test innings(his debut) but not much after that. Wouldn't be surprised if the opening pair keep changing for a while. No dominant openers in the domestic scene yet but plenty of great middle order players. One of them will have to learn to open to seal a spot in the XI imo.

Last edited:

WindieWeathers

International Regular
Well when it comes to this last series it's hard to judge because they were up against some real trash that simply wasn't fit enough to wear the WI shirt!!..had they faced Narine, Roach and Rampaul along with Shilly it would have been interesting, but i digress..

Kohli= Looked vulnerable against spin!!..fantastic at one dayers of course but against us in three series he's just about got two 50s and has been quite poor, will be interesting to see how he goes against SA.

Dhawan= Looks like a hitter to me!!..not much technique realy he just goes for it and if it comes off it comes off!!..he was part of the India-A team who came to the caribbean last year and he was exposed so badly that he had to be dropped in the end!!..so i was surprised when i saw him take Australia apart!!..personally i think Steyn and Co will eat him alive next month

Vijay= Terrible against spin and struggles with the short ball!!..when India last toured the Caribbean Rampaul had him on toast and i still see the same frailties today to be honest.

Pujara= a solid little bugger and the best of the emerging Indian batsmen!!..still doubts remains as to weather he can handle quality swing bowling though so we'll see over the next year or so.

Sharma= couldn't have wished to face an easier attack in his debut series!!..he's another who came to the caribbean with the A-team last year and he was totally found out against Delorn Johnson and Jason Holder!!..two tall pacers, so i don't see him coping too well in foreign conditions to be honest. He's also been Narine's bunny whenever they've faced eachother aswell!!.. It's ok scoring a ton on your debut at home but when you reach England, SA and Australia it's a different story!!..just ask Kirk Edwards who was averaging i the mid 50s after four test series before he went to England and came crashing down.

All in all i think it's a mixed bag!!..Kohli and Pujara look the most solid to me where performing outside of India is concerned but i'd worry about the others!!.

Shri

Mr. Glass
Thats idiotic. Empirical evidence says that Pujara was **** in South Africa(based on the last series) and the others haven't been tested. At least you are consistent.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I think it's quite bizarre that India completely ****ed up replacing Sourav Ganguly for 4 years, yet managed to replace Dravid, Laxman and seemingly Tendulkar so easily.

Shri

Mr. Glass
The rest of the batsmen were in such good form(when he retired) that Ganguly's spot could be used as a trial spot for the prospects. The pinch was only felt when the rest of the ****s collectively started going out of form and retiring. But yeah, it was a bad position to be in considering the talent waiting in the wings and shouldn't have gone on as far as it did.

JontyPanesar

U19 Vice-Captain
Well when it comes to this last series it's hard to judge because they were up against some real trash that simply wasn't fit enough to wear the WI shirt!!..had they faced Narine, Roach and Rampaul along with Shilly it would have been interesting, but i digress..

Kohli= Looked vulnerable against spin!!..fantastic at one dayers of course but against us in three series he's just about got two 50s and has been quite poor, will be interesting to see how he goes against SA.

Dhawan= Looks like a hitter to me!!..not much technique realy he just goes for it and if it comes off it comes off!!..he was part of the India-A team who came to the caribbean last year and he was exposed so badly that he had to be dropped in the end!!..so i was surprised when i saw him take Australia apart!!..personally i think Steyn and Co will eat him alive next month

Vijay= Terrible against spin and struggles with the short ball!!..when India last toured the Caribbean Rampaul had him on toast and i still see the same frailties today to be honest.

Pujara= a solid little bugger and the best of the emerging Indian batsmen!!..still doubts remains as to weather he can handle quality swing bowling though so we'll see over the next year or so.

Sharma= couldn't have wished to face an easier attack in his debut series!!..he's another who came to the caribbean with the A-team last year and he was totally found out against Delorn Johnson and Jason Holder!!..two tall pacers, so i don't see him coping too well in foreign conditions to be honest. He's also been Narine's bunny whenever they've faced eachother aswell!!.. It's ok scoring a ton on your debut at home but when you reach England, SA and Australia it's a different story!!..just ask Kirk Edwards who was averaging i the mid 50s after four test series before he went to England and came crashing down.

All in all i think it's a mixed bag!!..Kohli and Pujara look the most solid to me where performing outside of India is concerned but i'd worry about the others!!.
I can understand if you want to just want to temper the current hype, but you're just taking it way too far.

Holder and Johnson also enjoyed some really bad pitches on that India A tour of WI. And if you remember from that tour, Rohit didn't do that badly (1 or 2 decent innings when everyone seemed to fail ex Pujara). And think about the form he was in that summer (the infamous SL odis). Rohit did exceedingly well on some ugly pitches this past summer in that triangular series. Given how much success he has had against WI, especially on those crap Windian pitches, I figured you might have a little more respect for his play. He's an easy target I guess.

Dhawan's technique is much improved from when he was last in WI. I used to laugh at him against short stuff, but he has proven me wrong now. He has the aggression of a Sehwag, but unlike Sehwag, he has a pretty good technique and he is willing to work hard. His decisive footwork has impressed me too. Maybe we'll stop associating aggression with lack of technique going forward.

Kohli has crap shot selection in tests and plays with hard hands but the former problem can be solved with time and the latter problem is not such a big deal in quicker overseas conditions. He also will struggle to play late in swinging conditions from what I see. I thought you'd be more negative about him maybe it's easier to pile on to the others. Everyone seems to think Kohli is a lock for the test side for the next ten years but Manoj Tiwary and Ajinkya Rahane are better FC players imo. Nevertheless, I think he'll improve and likely have a good test career.

Agree on Vijay. Nothing new to say.
I have confidence in Pujara overseas more so from what I saw when he was last in SA for the test series. Looked very sharp even if he didn't score a lot of runs.

If Tiwary can get his knees right, watch out. Rahane's a nice cricketer getting corrupted by limited overs. Poor Badri

Flem274*

123/5

If they're so bad then how did the mighty Windies lose to them, even carrying Sammy in their side?

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
If they're so bad then how did the mighty Windies lose to them, even carrying Sammy in their side?
WI didn't just lose to them, they got a hiding. But to be fair WI were without their best bowlers. But I doubt that would've made too much of a difference. At best, instead of comprehensive innings defeats, we may have seen like 8-wicket wins.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Who will replace Tendulkar for the South Africa tour?

Ideally, it should be Rahane, but I can't help but fear for them that they'll pick someone like Yuvraj or Jadeja.

JontyPanesar

U19 Vice-Captain
Thats idiotic. Empirical evidence says that Pujara was **** in South Africa(based on the last series) and the others haven't been tested. At least you are consistent.
If you actually watched Pujara in that series, he looked pretty good in SA under testing conditions. But oh yeah, you must be **** if you get out like this: Dale Steyn Bowling "Amazing Swing" - Got the Pujara Before the Wickets - LBW - YouTube

And there's plenty of evidence and clues from the India A tour of SA about who will do best in SA conditions

JontyPanesar

U19 Vice-Captain

Ideally, it should be Rahane, but I can't help but fear for them that they'll pick someone like Yuvraj or Jadeja.
Maybe Jadeja but not Yuvraj. He wasn't even playing the India A matches and will likely be dropped from the odi side. He also had his contract downgraded. It will be Rahane or Jadeja. Rahane did well in the India A tour, so I'd back him, but Jaddu Bhai seems to be a favorite. I fear Raina, like the zombie he is, will show his face in the squad again. Selectors will seize on his recent century in Ranji. Nevertheless, I think Raina being paid top bucks has more to do with being a CSK kickback of sorts, than a guarantee of selection.

Shri

Mr. Glass
If you actually watched Pujara in that series, he looked pretty good in SA under testing conditions. But oh yeah, you must be **** if you get out like this: Dale Steyn Bowling "Amazing Swing" - Got the Pujara Before the Wickets - LBW - YouTube

And there's plenty of evidence and clues from the India A tour of SA about who will do best in SA conditions
Yeah when I meant evidence, I meant only the statistics. Isn't that what the kids do these days? Look at a scorecard, look at who the batsman got out to, if its a seamer, then he was found out against pace bowlers, if it was a spinner, lol xyz can't play spin. I was just saying words that WW could understand.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator

Probably Jadeja; he was rested against the West Indies due to some sort of injury. Officially anyway. So it's more like Rohit replacing Tendulkar than anything.

I'm probably as big a Jadeja fan as it gets on this forum but he really shouldn't be in the frame at all on a tour of South Africa unless Ashwin gets injured, and even then I still probably wouldn't pick him.. but he'll probably get the gig.

Flem274*

123/5
Any chance Ashwin will get a crack slightly higher up at seven or even six? He looks a batsman, India would love a genuine allrounder to play a 3-2 bowling attack balance and he bats at six domestically doesn't he?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Any chance Ashwin will get a crack slightly higher up at seven or even six? He looks a batsman, India would love a genuine allrounder to play a 3-2 bowling attack balance and he bats at six domestically doesn't he?
The thing with this is that it'd be the exact same team as the one with Jadeja as Tendulkar's replacement but in a different batting order. Regardless of which order Ashwin, Dhoni and Jadeja bat in, it's the same personnel, and I don't see them going with Bhuvi at #8 if they've got Ashwin and Dhoni in the top seven so Jadeja would be that second spinner/#8 batsman selected anyway.