• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

India's Upcoming Batsman - How do you rate them?

Who will be the Best Test Batsman?

• Total voters

Spark

Global Moderator
Reckon Che Pujara has to be one of the unluckiest blokes in world cricket. Still remember him coming into bat at 3/a million after a huge partnership and getting one that rolled, just about the only ball that misbehaved all day.

Xuhaib

International Coach
One thing about Indian batsman is they are all very pretty to watch there elegance gets them to be a bit over rated as well, apart from Gambhir and Dhoni I have yet to see an Indian batsman who looks ungainly at the crease.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Reckon Che Pujara has to be one of the unluckiest blokes in world cricket. Still remember him coming into bat at 3/a million after a huge partnership and getting one that rolled, just about the only ball that misbehaved all day.
Yeah remember him getting one roller from Johnson at home + one from Morkel in SA. Then he also got that brilliant Warne at 140K delivery from Steyn.

But the unluckiest part of his career so far is that when there was a clear gap in the team with WI tour coming up, and he was the incumbent he got injured(and that too a bad one) just when it was time to establish himself. :(

Arachnodouche

International Captain
One thing about Indian batsman is they are all very pretty to watch there elegance gets them to be a bit over rated as well, apart from Gambhir and Dhoni I have yet to see an Indian batsman who looks ungainly at the crease.
Badrinath looks pretty workmanlike.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
I am not sure we should be judging Badrinath based on a few ODI's(which has never been his favored format).

He doesn't have the most attractive outlook, but at the same time most of his technical aspects are pretty good and he doesn't look bad with his high elbow shot making, whenever he actually gets going like he did in the IPL on a few occasions.

Xuhaib

International Coach
Badrinath I thought was plain rubbish though I have only seen him couple of times.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Time for a bump, I guess since all of them except Pandey have played International cricket to some extent now.
Still sticking with my vote for Pujara in tests.
Yeah, so seems another good opportunity for a bump.

Still sticking with my vote for Pujara in tests, but will be interesting to know how perceptions have changed now?

uvelocity

International Coach
pujara and kohli both good from the little I've seen

am I right in thinking pujara is much more introverted?

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
pujara and kohli both good from the little I've seen

am I right in thinking pujara is much more introverted?
I'm lead to believe that the Indian team held their karaoke night after the match the other day back at the club house and Pujara sang a number of songs (mind you he had a couple of Kingfishers under his belt), so I'm not sure about that.

Daemon

Still going to stick with Pujara = Kohli > the rest

As for the rest, at home I'm pretty sure a lot of these guys will be test class, but overseas I reckon only guys like Mukund and Rahane might taste success. Vijay is probably one who won't do well overseas, was pretty poor against the Windies and South Africa where I remember watching him. Did score a ton against Australia (at home) though.

Never watched Pandey, so dunno.

Badri obv a gun but he'll never get picked. Made a half century against a fired up Steyn who took 7 wickets in that innings, never played another Test again.

Tiwary is a possibility but apparently he's got a ****ty attitude and hasn't done well overseas for India A either.

We might have to add Unmukt Chand to this list over the next couple of years I guess. Already done well for India A in NZ. Good signs.

Last edited:

flibbertyjibber

I hope and pray that now that Pujara has shown his class and the fact that Kohli has done well at times means they dispense with Yuvraj and give Badrinath/AN Other a chance. I can understand them not wanting to pick so many kids in the same line up but at home in a series they should comfortably win is the time to blood them instead of regurgitating past failures.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
I find it really frustrating that the age card is played with regards to Bardrinath when 30 year old Yuvraj Singh is at 6 in the current test side.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Badrinath/Rahane should be next in line but Yuvraj//Raina keep getting chances.

After Badri/Rahane it should be Rohit Sharma/Abhinav Mukund, but it'll probably be Tiwary which won't be that bad at least in home conditions.

Don't like Rahane being a backup opener either. He is more suited to the middle order probably, and Mukund should be the long term backup opener. (Not Vijay, imo).

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
What's happened to Sharma recently? Surely he's better than Yujrav...
He's been ODI'd like Badri was.

Has been unlucky in tests tbh. First time got injured day of the match against SA , and then was dropped based on ODI form.

Second time didn't get a chance in Australia when he should have and then again despite dominating FC was dropped based on ODI form.

The strange thing in this is that he keeps getting ODI chances which he probably doesn't deserve.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
India v England, 4th Test, Nagpur, 2nd day : Hello, Ajinkya Rahane here, anyone listening? | Cricket Features | India v England | ESPN Cricinfo

Brilliant piece by Sid Monga on the travails of Ajinkya Rahane.

Seriously worried he could become another Badri. Though, i guess he has done better in ODI's/IPL.

His FC average has dropped from a crazy 69/70 to 63 now due to being inconsistently in and out and will probably be overtaken by Rohit Sharma come the next series now, as things stand and due to no fault of his own really.

Though, having said that could write a somewhat similar piece about Rohit vis a vis tests too (Though Rahane has been consistently gunning from before). ****ing Yuvraj and Raina.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Calm down the bloke is still younger than 25 and he's in the selectors eyes. Their fetish with Yuvi and Raina has been annoying but he's not a Badrinath yet.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Calm down the bloke is still younger than 25 and he's in the selectors eyes. Their fetish with Yuvi and Raina has been annoying but he's not a Badrinath yet.
Yeah, but once they go past 27/28 the argument against them is that they are too old and we should now give someone young like Unmukt Chand/Mandeep Singh or someone else who will come up a go.

Or even some other bloke who may be equally old but is performing in ODI's.

Think his best route to the test side will be the ODI side now or the opener's slot even though he isn't a FC opener.

Last edited: