• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

India's Upcoming Batsman - How do you rate them?

Who will be the Best Test Batsman?

• Total voters

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
I was going to say this as soon as I saw him in his first or second innings back in the current IPL, but Pandey looks a lot better technically now than when he was making runs in the IPL held in South Africa. I said that I couldn't see him being an international class player, even after his big 100, and I'm not sure that he's got it in him now to be, but he does look much more like a batsman than what he used to.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
If he look at him in the FC competitions he looks technically good.

Gets all fidgity in the IPL with the pressure of scoring quick runs. But then if you look at Dravid in the IPL he does not look great either.

Pandey though is not obviously as good as Dravid technically ,but he is pretty decent for a attacking batsman in FC cricket.
He has his problems against the moving ball ,but unlike other Indian domestic batsman does not struggle against extra bounce so much. Usually it is the other way around.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
At the moment Rayudu,Manoj Tiwary and Badrinath seem to be the names thrown up by the IPL so far,this time.
Rayudu scores again in the IPL today and played very well.

Every year there are one or two players who get into the Indian ODI team based on the IPL. Could it be Rayudu this year?
And just as i expected -

Rayudu, Badrinath likely to be selected for Windies tour - The Times of India

Young players likely to tour WI - Playing11.com Fantasy Cricket Games, Live Cricket Score, Statistics, Cricket News

Rayudu(backup keeper) and Badrinath likely to be selected for the ODI squad for the West Indies. And Rahul Sharma too.
And Manoj Tiwary is a dark horse too,depending on who is rested.

Poor Rahane needs to probably score a century today to get selected on the 13th.

Also Vijay will most likely get the opener slot it seems,as there was no competition thrown up in the IPL.
Dhawan dissapointed,Pandey is not quite ready yet and Mukund was mega mega stupid to stay at Chennai Super Kings this season.
Could have been his mega chance to get into the Indian team.

Also i am sure if Badrinath gets selected in the ODI side and does well ,that he will get into the test squad as well,finally.
Hopefully they select him for the ODI squad though,first.

Last edited:

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Interesting quotes by Shane Warne about Rohit Sharma -

His leadership of Rajasthan was marked out by an knack for spotting talent and, asked to name the Indian cricketers to watch, he named Rohit Sharma, who's been in and out of the Indian team in his career thus far. "To me Sharma is one," Warne said. "He has got all the talent in the world, if he could just get his mind right and get his attitude right, if his one thought was 'I want to become the best cricketer I possibly can'.

"Every morning he wakes up and tries to talk to Sachin...[If I were him] I'd be hanging out of his pocket, 'How do you think about batting? How do you approach it in these conditions?' Every minute of the day until Sachin says, 'Mate can I have five minutes break?' Keep pestering him.

"He should do that every morning he gets up, 'How am I going to become the best I can possibly be?' He could be a match-winner, a world beater and one of the best Indian cricketers ever, he has got that much talent."

Indian Premier League: Shane Warne threatened to walk out of first season | Cricket News | Indian Premier League 2011 | ESPN Cricinfo

High praise indeed.

hang on

State Vice-Captain
he had also waxed somewhat excessively eloquent about a yusuf pathan 100 in the ipl at one point, and so i would keep a couple of salt shakers handy!

Reevo

Cricket Spectator
I was going to say this as soon as I saw him in his first or second innings back in the current IPL, but Pandey looks a lot better technically now than when he was making runs in the IPL held in South Africa. I said that I couldn't see him being an international class player, even after his big 100, and I'm not sure that he's got it in him now to be, but he does look much more like a batsman than what he used to.
Pandey's major strength is how well he bats in a pressure situation in the FC format. He's done it several times in the Ranji Trophy - the most significant knock being the Ranji Final in 2010 of course. Sometimes, he might not look very pretty, but he manages to grind it out on tracks where most of his teammates and the opposition fail to score runs. He also plays for Karnataka, who make all their pitches seamer friendly because of their bowling attack of Vinay, Mithun and Aravind, which makes his average even more impressive.

He needs to work a bit on his offside play though. His judgement on when to play the cut shot is lacking at times, and he sometimes tries the dab to third man way too often on a slow pitch. Also think his defence to the left arm spinner is quite suspect. And, I believe he did get out to left arm spinners most of the time this season. However, considering the fact that after his first season he averaged mid-20s, and he's managed to raise that to 52(after that IPL 100, that seems to have given him a new cricketing life one could say), I do believe Pandey has a lot of potential. He seems to have a lot of time to play his shots when he's in the zone/in form. Also one of the best fielders in India. Starting to come together this IPL as well playing the anchor role to Ryder's aggressor role for Pune.

At this stage, with all the batting talent, it's hard to say if Pandey will ever play for India, but the talent is there, and would definitely mark him as the dark horse/underdog in this group of players. Needs more India A tours abroad to really judge if he's got that special something about him. I do think Pandey would be a good batsman in Australia and South Africa, but would struggle in England at this stage of his career, but he's only 21.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Pandey's major strength is how well he bats in a pressure situation in the FC format. He's done it several times in the Ranji Trophy - the most significant knock being the Ranji Final in 2010 of course. Sometimes, he might not look very pretty, but he manages to grind it out on tracks where most of his teammates and the opposition fail to score runs. He also plays for Karnataka, who make all their pitches seamer friendly because of their bowling attack of Vinay, Mithun and Aravind, which makes his average even more impressive.

He needs to work a bit on his offside play though. His judgement on when to play the cut shot is lacking at times, and he sometimes tries the dab to third man way too often on a slow pitch. Also think his defence to the left arm spinner is quite suspect. And, I believe he did get out to left arm spinners most of the time this season. However, considering the fact that after his first season he averaged mid-20s, and he's managed to raise that to 52(after that IPL 100, that seems to have given him a new cricketing life one could say), I do believe Pandey has a lot of potential. He seems to have a lot of time to play his shots when he's in the zone/in form. Also one of the best fielders in India. Starting to come together this IPL as well playing the anchor role to Ryder's aggressor role for Pune.

At this stage, with all the batting talent, it's hard to say if Pandey will ever play for India, but the talent is there, and would definitely mark him as the dark horse/underdog in this group of players. Needs more India A tours abroad to really judge if he's got that special something about him. I do think Pandey would be a good batsman in Australia and South Africa, but would struggle in England at this stage of his career, but he's only 21.
Excellent post.

Exactly my thoughts as well:thumbup1:

Btw,here is a nice interview with Badrinath about being selected for the WestIndies ODI series -

India in West Indies 2011: Badrinath was expecting the India call-up | Cricket News | West Indies v India | ESPN Cricinfo

Satguru

Banned
Pujara ahead of the others, atleast as far as test cricket goes.

Was really impressed by his debut against the Aussies. Got out second ball in the first innings when he got a low one from johnson. Thought he showed great character by playing really positively in the second innings. Got 70 odd in like 90 balls iirc.Any other youngster might have buckled under the pressure of a big chase on debut, with one failure already under your belt. Really superb innings that.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Test squad for West Indies to be named tomorrow.

Vijay will mostly likely get Sehwag's spot.
Mukund will likely come in if Gambhir is ruled out and Badrinath and Kohli fighting it out for one other spot.

Personally i would pick Badrinath first ,but is a close run thing to see which of the two makes the squad here.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
News just in -

Gambhir looks set to miss the whole tour.

And sadly Pujara likely to miss the test tour too with injury.
This injury has come at the worst time for Pujara.

Feel bad for him after earning his slot. Damn!!
Hopfully he remains for the England tour though.

Nigel Benjamin

U19 12th Man
no doubt kohli is the best of the bunch. c'mon he's been tearing apart bowlers in the one day arena very soon he'll make his test debut and do the same.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Virat Kohli,Shikhar Dhawan,Manoj Tiwary,Rohit Sharma,Suresh Raina,Subramaniam Badrinath in the ODI squad for West Indies.

Virat Kohli,Subramaniam Badrinath,Murali Vijay,Abhinav Mukund,Suresh Raina in the test squad for West Indies.

Cheteshwar Pujara(Injured) and Ajinkya Rahane(overlooked again:@) unlucky to miss out,IMO.

Would be a good tour to see how they all go.

Himannv

International Coach
As a non-Indian, I would rate them in Tests as:

- Virat Kohli
- Subramaniam Badrinath
- Manoj Tiwary
- Cheteshwar Pujara

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Manoj Tiwary over Pujara ? Interesting choice.

TIwary is technically the worst of those four for certain.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah!! I would agree with that.

Infact in terms of tests I would have Mukund,Rahane,and Nohit Sharma ahead of Manoj Tiwary too.

irfan

State Captain
Good to see Rahane doing well.
Has anyone actually seen a lot of Rahane? Limited youtube footage of him

He has got ridiculous FC stats even for an indian batsman - avg of 68 with 17 tons and 18 50's in 48 matches.

Would like to know what style of batsman he is and why he's racked up the runs he has

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
He is a very busy Kind of batsman.

Keeps taking singles and can hit boundaries too ,so scores runs pretty quickly,even without being a big hitter.

He played a few matches in the IPL and looked good too and did well in the England A tour with Mukund and Pujara(who was on another level).
He has a tendency to score real big innings too.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Time for a bump, I guess since all of them except Pandey have played International cricket to some extent now.
Still sticking with my vote for Pujara in tests.