• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

India's Upcoming Batsman - How do you rate them?

Who will be the Best Test Batsman?

• Total voters

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Around another yr later we'll have to replace laxman depends on form who will do that..would require certain rare qualities to bat at 6...play well with tail,cool under pressure..Badri is out of the pic as he's 30 and by that time will be 32 odd.
Very difficult shoes to fill.
Reckon SRT,Laxman and even Sehwag will all retire withing a year or so of each other.

Can't see Sehwag lasting beyond 2 to 3 years more too. He already said he could retire after 100 tests ,though that is not happening can't see him lasting till his very late 30's.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
I can't see the similarities tbh, apart from the position they bat and their mentality. But maybe that's because I haven't seen enough of him, could you show me some highlights of the shots he plays that are like Pontings?

I say that because Ponting has a very unique press/lunge forward and bat-lift which does as a result make his shots quite unique as well.
True.

The only similarity he has with Ponting for me is the forward defensive and his brash confident attitude.

Ponting,Dravid and Alec Stewart were some of the people who had that thrust the front foot forward and then shift weight to the back foot technique which is very unique.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I can't see the similarities tbh, apart from the position they bat and their mentality. But maybe that's because I haven't seen enough of him, could you show me some highlights of the shots he plays that are like Pontings?

I say that because Ponting has a very unique press/lunge forward and bat-lift which does as a result make his shots quite unique as well.
He doesn't have the flourish of Ponting's backlift but his quick bat-speed makes him look somewhat similar IMO.

Borges

International Regular
Kohli's cover drive - his trade mark shot really - reminds me of ML Jaisimha. The full face of the bat meeting the ball, and after that the sinewy wrists coming into play to place the ball in the gap.

Austerlitz

U19 Debutant
Kohli's cover drive - his trade mark shot really - reminds me of ML Jaisimha. The full face of the bat meeting the ball, and after that the sinewy wrists coming into play to place the ball in the gap.
Yeah love kohli's shots too,except the one i hate is he tries to hit the ball accross the line against the spin and gets caught at mid on.

Borges

International Regular
Yeah love kohli's shots too,except the one i hate is he tries to hit the ball accross the line against the spin and gets caught at mid on.
That used to be a serious technical flaw in his first few FC seasons - the flick in the air towards mid-wicket even when the line was completely wrong for that. That he played this shot too early in his innings before he was set made it a lot worse.

He had become a little more judicious about it as he matured. He was not much of an on-side player early in his career, and this stroke has given him a lot of runs in that area. How ever, all these ODIs and T20s that he is playing would cause a regress to the bad old habits. If he carries on using this stroke impulsively in test cricket, the weakness would get ruthlessly exploited very soon.

Though Pujara does not play anti-cricket like playing across the line from off stump to midwicket, he too has a weakness when he flicks on the leg side - too uppish for comfort.

Last edited:

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
That used to be a serious technical flaw in his first few FC seasons - the flick in the air towards mid-wicket even when the line was completely wrong for that. That he played this shot too early in his innings before he was set made it a lot worse.

He had become a little more judicious about it as he matured. He was not much of an on-side player early in his career, and this stroke has given him a lot of runs in that area. How ever, all these ODIs and T20s that he is playing would cause a regress to the bad old habits. If he carries on using this stroke impulsively in test cricket, the weakness would get ruthlessly exploited very soon.

Though Pujara does not play anti-cricket like playing across the line from off stump to midwicket, he too has a weakness when he flicks on the leg side - too uppish for comfort.
Yeah. I've also noticed that about Pujara.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Manoj Tiwary is getting a bit of hype recently.

Sunil Gavaskar today reckoned in commentary that he should be in contention atleast for the Indian team in the near future.

He is a interesting case. Always had the talent but had attitude and ego problems.Was selected for the ODI series to Australia in 2008 and played one match(got absolutely smoked by Brett Lee on a green track) but since then has been ignored largely and not performed in the IPL and had decent but not great Ranji seasons and was involved in some discipline problems too.
But he had a very good Ranji season this year and now seems to have upped his game in the IPL too.

His technique is not the best, but he was supposed to be India's Kevin Pietersen not long ago and the successor to Ganguly from Bengal and is quite popular there and nicknamed "Chote Dada".

I won't take him the team yet ,even if spots open up for the WI ODI series due to resting but perhaps he could sneak in being a east zone player.
There are players ahead in queue for me like Rahane,Mukund,Badrinath(in ODI's too maybe) etc.. for me even in ODI's and think they should be ahead of him.

Also Rayudu should perhaps get a chance ahead of him for me ,though behind the others.
At the moment Rayudu,Manoj Tiwary and Badrinath seem to be the names thrown up by the IPL so far,this time.

Austerlitz

U19 Debutant

Sunil Gavaskar today reckoned in commentary that he should be in contention atleast for the Indian team in the near future.

He is a interesting case. Always had the talent but had attitude and ego problems.Was selected for the ODI series to Australia in 2008 and played one match(got absolutely smoked by Brett Lee on a green track) but since then has been ignored largely and not performed in the IPL and had decent but not great Ranji seasons and was involved in some discipline problems too.
But he had a very good Ranji season this year and now seems to have upped his game in the IPL too.

His technique is not the best, but he was supposed to be India's Kevin Pietersen not long ago and the successor to Ganguly from Bengal and is quite popular there and nicknamed "Chote Dada".

I won't take him the team yet ,even if spots open up for the WI ODI series due to resting but perhaps he could sneak in being a east zone player.
There are players ahead in queue for me like Rahane,Mukund,Badrinath(in ODI's too maybe) etc.. for me even in ODI's and think they should be ahead of him.

Also Rayudu should perhaps get a chance ahead of him for me ,though behind the others.
At the moment Rayudu,Manoj Tiwary and Badrinath seem to be the names thrown up by the IPL so far,this time.
This

Borges

International Regular
Excellent player of spin bowling (makes his Ranji average look good) and extremely suspect against decent pace. The upmarket model of the Suresh Raina range of batsmen.

Was pretty much completely exposed during the tour of England with the India A.
Cricket Records | Records | India A tour of England and Scotland, Jun-Jul 2010 | All matches | Most runs | ESPN Cricinfo
The manager, Pravin Amre - a good judge of technique - was critical of both Tiwari's attitude and his lack of technique in the tour report.

IMHO, hype is the operational word right now.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Yep.

Pujara completely decimated that tour and as a result got into the India team.
Also is a good indication with the england tour upcoming.

Rahane and Mukund did very well too.
It is surprising that both have not gotten their chances in ODI's atleast by now.

Also it is a pity they overlooked Badrinath for that tour as i think he would have decimated too.

Tiwary has a weakness against pacers no doubt,but i think has upped his game since then watching him .
Also if you look at the scorecards the top 4 took most of the good batting conditions and left only less such conditions for the middle order.

Still a way from consideration for national selection for me ,but one to keep in mind as i said before.

Last edited:

Gavaskar

Cricket Spectator
Shikhar Dhawan is an interesting proscpect as well. From the little Ive seen of him he looks good playing on either side of the wicket and playing on the front foot and back foot. But his first class stats don't really justify a selection in the test team. But he should get some more ODI chances. Expecially with our top order sitting out so many ODI matches.

Munkund is probably going to get his test debut in the west indies. I doubt Sehwag will play and I can't remember when Gambhir played every test match of a test series. Srikanth said that yuvi will make his comeback against the west indies. So Kohli will probably not get a chance until after the England series. Which is a huge mistake. Yuvi is a terrific ODI player but he's had way too many chances in tests.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Rayudu scores again in the IPL today and played very well.

Every year there are one or two players who get into the Indian ODI team based on the IPL. Could it be Rayudu this year?

Austerlitz

U19 Debutant
Rayudu scores again in the IPL today and played very well.

Every year there are one or two players who get into the Indian ODI team based on the IPL. Could it be Rayudu this year?
Rayadu and valthaty if he keeps up good performances.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
IPL seems a difficult, unforgiving place for these blokes. Pujara, regularly tipped as a #6 for India, bats at six, or seven, or on sits on the bench for Bangalore. Tiwary bats at four or five, with little time to play, and is now struggling for form. Rahane is in and out of the Rajasthan team, and not staying long or striking well. Mukund isn't even playing, with very few IPL caps. Manish Pandey has had a poor start to this season. Either it's impossible to thrust them into the frontline consistently, or IPL franchises have a very poor, negative opinion of the young Indian brigade. For some reason.

Let's not forget, a whole lot of lesser international cricketers- often Aussie- have made their careers in the IPL, so success in the IPL does count for something. A lot of Indian players who have done well in the IPL, notably Rohit Sharma, have also got superior statistics in FC/List-A. While these youngsters have struggled in the IPL, they've had a decent India A tour of England. A few good tours down and they'll be in the running for the Indian team. If only they play for India A victories and not merely places in the national side, a problem that plagued India A often with national team rejects (who were found wanting) filling the reserve team.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Rayadu and valthaty if he keeps up good performances.
There are players across FC, List-A and IPL than Rayudu, who have achieved more. Paul Valthaty, even less likely, as he's become a regular only now, and he hasn't even played a Ranji game for Mumbai, or any other state. If Paul can get more out of his seam-up, he can be an outside contender, but there are players with over five seasons of experience, impressive stats and even tournament wins.

If Saurabh Tiwary comes back strongly, and he's given enough chances, he'll be more likely to make the step up.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Rayudu might but don't think Valthaty has a chance at all at the moment to get picked.

Remember Rayudu had a very good Ranji season as well,while Valthaty has not really even played for Mumbai.

And quoting a post from the IPL thread -

Btw, Nice 50 by Rahane today. 53 off 40 balls.

Looked very impressive with the shots he played and had the commentators really impressed his well.

But again like some other class players ,his downfall was not being a big hitter of the ball. Played some wonderful shots though.
First real chance at a decent position he has got too. Though the task was humongous with other batsman failing.

Some times IPL highlights only big hitters like Nohit,Vijay,Kohli,Rayudu etc.. too much compared to other batsman like Pujara,Mukund,Rahane.Badri has improved this year in this regard though .
Hopefully he gets more oppurtunities.