• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

India's Upcoming Batsman - How do you rate them?

Who will be the Best Test Batsman?

• Total voters

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Rest all the first XI batsmen in the WI tour and play all these players. Would make a really intriguing series :laugh:

Blaze 18

Banned
How has Rohit Sharma fallen away smalishah84?

I would think many Indian fans would be happy with his progress. He has had his struggles in ODI's this year, but in 2010 he started to establish himself as a permanent member of the squad. It is also hard to argue against a batsman who averaged 96 in first class cricket last season.
A few meaningless runs in mickey mouse IPL doesn't really constitute progress IMO. He has done nothing of note in Indian colours and he's had far more than his fair share of chances.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Actually apparently 4/5 players are going to be rested for the ODI series according to reports.

But don't think anyone will be rested for the test series.

Howsie

International Captain
Of the four I've seen enough of to make a half decent assessment, Rohit Sharma, Virat Kohli, Suresh Raina and Murali Vijay, it's Virat Kohli and by quite some distance. He possess the best technique of the four, even though most would argue it's yet to be really tested. More importantly however he seems like such a composed and calm individual, more so then a few players on this list who are a good couple of years older then him.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
A few meaningless runs in mickey mouse IPL doesn't really constitute progress IMO. He has done nothing of note in Indian colours and he's had far more than his fair share of chances.
Sharma in FC cricket has been awesome though.

Blaze 18

Banned
Sharma in FC cricket has been awesome though.
Unfortunately that hasn't translated into awesomeness in Indian colours though. I don't follow Indian domestic cricket too closely, but I'd wager Badrinath, Pujara, Mukund, Rahane etc. have comparable FC records and none of them have got the number of chances Rohit Sharma has. Nowhere close.

abmk

State 12th Man
Rohit Sharma is frustrating. He's played some absolutely top-notch innings in tough situations in IPL, yet when it comes to playing for India, has under-performed big time ....

smash84

The Tiger King
that is what i thought too......actually when he first came in remember seeing him in 2009 T20 wc....seemed pretty decent back then.....hasn't done anything of note IIRC

Blaze 18

Banned
I feel it's more of an attitude problem than anything else with Rohit Sharma. He seems to be more than content with IPL success; he doesn't seem to have the hunger and the desire to play for his country.

angad

U19 12th Man
Voted for Pujara, btw I noticed Virat Kohli's style of play seems to be an Australian-type, curious mixture of Ponting and Clarke.

Last edited:

Gavaskar

Cricket Spectator
I feel it's more of an attitude problem than anything else with Rohit Sharma. He seems to be more than content with IPL success; he doesn't seem to have the hunger and the desire to play for his country.
Don't think that's fair at all. I don't follow IPL or T20 that closely but I do remember Rohit didn't do that poorly for India in T20I. I don't think their is that big of a difference in his T20I record and his IPL record considering in IPL the attacks are much worse.

He's failed in ODIs but so did Laxman and he's one of our best batsman of all time. If Rohit sharma continues his First class success he deserves 4-5 test matches ahead of guys like Yuvi and Raina. And if he fails then so be it.

Speaking of first class success anybody see Rahane bat? Average close to 70 with a strike rate of 60. First class hundred against australia as well. Surprised no one mentions him. Does he have poor technique or some other major issues that keeps him from being mentioned?

Austerlitz

U19 Debutant
Rahane's technique is nothing special either,but technically correct.I do fear he will have trouble with short ball.And sharma should be in line to take SRT's place 1-1.5 yrs down the line in tests with pujara already in as the 6th bat and kohli having taken dravid's place.
Around another yr later we'll have to replace laxman depends on form who will do that..would require certain rare qualities to bat at 6...play well with tail,cool under pressure..Badri is out of the pic as he's 30 and by that time will be 32 odd.
Very difficult shoes to fill.

FBU

International Debutant
First class big hundreds

Kohli
30 matches

Pujara
56 matches
302*
204*
208*

vcs

Voted for Pujara, btw I noticed Virat Kohli's style of play seems to be an Australian-type, curious mixture of Ponting and Clarke.
Yeah his similarity with Ponting's style has been noted several times before. Don't see the comparison with Clarke though.

vcs

Rahane's technique is nothing special either,but technically correct.I do fear he will have trouble with short ball.And sharma should be in line to take SRT's place 1-1.5 yrs down the line in tests with pujara already in as the 6th bat and kohli having taken dravid's place.
Around another yr later we'll have to replace laxman depends on form who will do that..would require certain rare qualities to bat at 6...play well with tail,cool under pressure..Badri is out of the pic as he's 30 and by that time will be 32 odd.
Very difficult shoes to fill.
Disagree with a lot of the above. SRT might well outlast Laxman, especially with the latter's recent back problems. Hope they both play close to their best for a couple more years though. Not sure about Sharma replacing SRT either, he already seems to struggle under the expectation when he plays for India, if people expect him to fill SRT's boots, it could pretty much be the end of him. Need a guy who's eager to step out of the great man's shadows and chart his own course.

Badri should certainly not be out of the picture just because he's 32, as long as he's performing better than the other guys he should be picked. He seems like the kind of guy who'd do well batting with the tail, FWIW. Laxman's spot might be the right fit for him.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Don't think we will find a direct replacement as good as SRT .It is almost impossible.

What we will do is have a bunch of very good batsman who as a group will do a sufficiently well enough job over a period of time to replace the laxman,Sehwag,Dravid and Sachin when they go.

And won't surprise me at all if Badrinath gets a test spot before Kohli and deservedly so . He has started getting a lot of due hype after this IPL and Srikkanth was praising him the other day.

He is quite a fit person and could easily play for another 5/6 years and be India's Michael Hussey or something similar.

Now the more i think about it ,the more i am leaning towards the opinion that Dravid should retire.

Spark

Global Moderator
Yeah his similarity with Ponting's style has been noted several times before. Don't see the comparison with Clarke though.
I can sort of see it, more of a "flick" with batspeed in some of his legside shots that you're accustomed to from subcontinental players and fairly similar to the way Clarke plays the shot.

YouTube - Virat Kohli 63 vs NZ

vcs

I can sort of see it, more of a "flick" with batspeed in some of his legside shots that you're accustomed to from subcontinental players and fairly similar to the way Clarke plays the shot.

YouTube - Virat Kohli 63 vs NZ
Yeah, that shot is somewhat similar. Think Kohli could try and use his feet better to the spinners, like Clarke though.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
His Forward defensive Shots and the way he balances himself is modelled on Herschelle GIbbs.

He even said during the U-19 WC his role model was Herschelle Gibbs and he used to emulate him as a kid.

Reckon he has more sideways feet movement on the crease than gibbs though while Gibbs was more nimble on the feet coming down the pitch..

TumTum

Banned
I can't see the similarities tbh, apart from the position they bat and their mentality. But maybe that's because I haven't seen enough of him, could you show me some highlights of the shots he plays that are like Pontings?

I say that because Ponting has a very unique press/lunge forward and bat-lift which does as a result make his shots quite unique as well.