• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

India's Upcoming Batsman - How do you rate them?

Who will be the Best Test Batsman?

• Total voters

Teja.

Global Moderator
Seems like a massive overreaction though as all AN said was that the ball hasn't been hooping and it hasn't
It was a general blow up with the WW and other misc posting today taken into account tbh. I mean I'm sure Kohli didn't cop this much criticism even when he was ****ting the bed in England despite him scoring his fourth century today.

He scored runs in SA too, in fairness.

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5
That 71 average in NZ was boosted by a final day of the series ton that wasn't exactly downhill skiing but the match wasn't excessively live either. His 70 odd at Eden Park was a much better knock imo and it annoyed me in other threads when people include his NZ ton as another awesome innings away from home and forget the Eden Park chase which was so nearly a proper awesome Kohli knock.

I think Kohli likes his bouncy conditions (Australia, South Africa, Eden Park when it's not swinging) but still has England and New Zealand to truly conquer. Pujara is in the same boat and Rahane is gun everywhere because he just ****ing goes for it. India's best batsman against quality swing bowling is Murali Vijay.

Kohli is the best (I was wrong about the Poopjar) with Rahane catching up fast, Pujara needs to work on having a front foot attacking game and Vijay as ever is underrated.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Genuine question, has Pujara had a decent away series? I know he averaged 60 something not so long ago, but my recollection is that he's smashed pretty much everyone at home...

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Jesus Chirst, this is getting ridiculous. I don't think I've seen worse criticism of someone for putting in an ATG series performance simply for scoring so much it actually devalues his own scoring. This is precisely like the idiots ripping into Sanga after he scores another 247 against Bangladesh as if it's proof that he's a **** FTB as opposed to a glorious batsman putting away sub-par opposition, except that with Kohli - he actually just scored four tons in four games away vs. the second best bowling attack in the world including a game where he got us far too close to a victory we didn't deserve in any shape or form.

Virat Kohli is 26 and averages 67 in Australia, 68 is South Africa and 71 in NZ. He has 7 tons in 20 away games, all outside the SC in countries where every every away ton is appreciated these days due to the strength of the bowling attacks. Only Walter Hammond and Herbert Sutcliffe among away players have scored as many tons as he has in Australia in a series in history. He failed in England though. Clearly a ******** flat track bully.
People are just idiots.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Genuine question, has Pujara had a decent away series? I know he averaged 60 something not so long ago, but my recollection is that he's smashed pretty much everyone at home...
SA and in the Jo'Burg where he got 150 in 2nd dig game Kohli ran him out in 1st dig.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
That 71 average in NZ was boosted by a final day of the series ton that wasn't exactly downhill skiing but the match wasn't excessively live either.
You'd have to overlook half of Chanderpaul's career if you think this way

Salamuddin

International Debutant
Just as amazing as how they struggle to produce wicket taking bowlers, it is amazing how India keep churning out good young batsmen.

You can see it even at junior (u-19) level. AT the u-19 world cups India usually have 3-4 batsmen at a very high technical level. Most other teams would be lucky to have one.

Salamuddin

International Debutant
Be pretty surprised if Kohli doesn't do a lot better in England when India tour there in 2018. He's a pretty competitive and determined guy and I'm sure this summer's failures rankle him big time.

Debris

International 12th Man
Just as amazing as how they struggle to produce wicket taking bowlers, it is amazing how India keep churning out good young batsmen.

You can see it even at junior (u-19) level. AT the u-19 world cups India usually have 3-4 batsmen at a very high technical level. Most other teams would be lucky to have one.
It is odd how you can see things differently because I see Indian batsman coming through who are very talented but have large technical flaws. Their techniques are exposed as soon as the ball starts bouncing, seaming or swinging. There is the odd exception, of course.

Slifer

International Captain
Kohli has been my favorite young batsman for a while now. I fully expect him to finish his career (health withstanding) easily averaging 55+ in tests and 50+ in Odis (I don't care about 20-20). IMO he's the best of the Indian lot and up there with the very best currently (eg Smith, devilliers etc)

cnerd123

likes this
Pujara>Rahane>Kohli tests and Kohli>Rahane>Pujara ODIs

They are such different batsmen with their own strengths and weaknesses tho. Compliment each other well.

cnerd123

likes this
Kohli hasn't adapted to difficult batting conditions as quickly or as well as Pujara and Rahane have tho. That's what's holding him back a bit for me.

Gob

International Coach
**** no no way he is behind Poopjara.

Would have him ahead of Rahane too but i'd like to see his average at least in the high 40s

OverratedSanity

Kohli's adapted to foreign conditions way better than Pujara. Rahane still has a disappointing temperament sometimes. Plays nervous shots too often and has issues vs spin. Pujara's a beast vs spin. Basically, all 3 have different strengths and weaknesses and are all pretty awesome. Just a shame that none of them have quite hit their dominant stride yet like Smith.

Last edited:

Daemon

Kohli throws it away far too often imo. We accuse Sharma of being lazy and casual and not fulfilling his talent but Kohli's arguably more guilty of that.