• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

India's Upcoming Batsman - How do you rate them?

Who will be the Best Test Batsman?

• Total voters

Teja.

Global Moderator
Considering a couple of bad decisions/screamer deliveries really skews averages bad with such a small sample size, looking at averages in that period is just dire. He's also played exclusively against top tier opposition away from home. Playing against SA away, NZ away, England away and Australia away, pretty much every batsman in the world outside the top handful would take what he's done and that is in his first 11 tests! He's been playing test cricket for one year (outside of one test) and he's had nothing less than an outstanding first year in test cricket.

Even prima facie, only Kohli averages more than Rahane since SA away and he averages 3 runs more and as I've already said fifty times this post, that is considering this Rahane's first year in test cricket.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Rahane clearly the unluckiest batsman in this test, too. Got a horrible ball first innings, and sawn off in the second.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Well it is not about the stats Teja. Rahane is technically proficient but there are lose ends in his game like Spark mentioned. It is important to get these out of the way. Manjrekar was technically proficient and he made some centuries which were great from all accords but it did not translate into a full career. While I hope nothing of the sort happens with Rahane it is still early days.

OverratedSanity

Manjrekar having an excellent technique has to be one of the most baffling myths in cricket.

Anyway, I don't really understand the point you're making Pratters. Rahane has loose ends in his game. Yes, it's pretty obvious he does. But so does every other batsman who has ever played, much less someone in his early 20s. I don't see how it clearly puts him a notch below Pujara and Kohli like you said, because they have their flaws too.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Pujara and Kohli have played a bit more than Rahane and I have seen enough to think they will play for India for a number of years and have a fruitful career. I cannot say the same about Rahane yet. Rahane hasn't filled me with the same confidence yet. Which is fine, really.

cnerd123

likes this
Yeah, agree. Couple of his dismissals against Moeen were pretty annoying too. He feels a lot like Laxman the way he's gone about his runs so far. Some soft dismissals, plays the pull a lot, and often plays loose shots but regularly produces awesome knocks.
Yea I like the theory put out earlier that we have replaced Sachin-Dravid-Laxman with Kohli-Pujara-Rahane. The three new gen guys likely to have very similar careers and records to the three old gen guys. All we need now is a Ganguly to complete our middle order.

And honestly I'd say Rahane has filled me with the most confidence of the three. He has shown the ability to score difficult runs in tough conditions. He's likely to pick up soft dismissals in situations and on pitches on which Kohli/Pujara/everyone else will fill their boots, but will score the runs we need in hard conditions; something Kohli and Pujara still need to prove.

OverratedSanity

Yea I like the theory put out earlier that we have replaced Sachin-Dravid-Laxman with Kohli-Pujara-Rahane. The three new gen guys likely to have very similar careers and records to the three old gen guys. All we need now is a Ganguly to complete our middle order.

And honestly I'd say Rahane has filled me with the most confidence of the three. He has shown the ability to score difficult runs in tough conditions. He's likely to pick up soft dismissals in situations and on pitches on which Kohli/Pujara/everyone else will fill their boots, but will score the runs we need in hard conditions; something Kohli and Pujara still need to prove.
Well, Kohli and Pujara have done it too, tbh. Johannesburg was difficult on day 1, and even this ton in Adelaide qualifies I think. Spun considerably in the 4th innings. Pujara's done awesome on some turners at home, but doesn't have one on seamers like Rahane and Kohli.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
I kind of see why people compare Pujara with the early version of Dravid (although early Dravid was ominous in England). But I don't get why people compare Kohli with an early Tendulkar. Kohli's playing style and attitude is more like early Ponting's than early Tendulkar's. If there's one batsman in the team who merits comparison with the early Tendulkar that's Rahane IMO - fantastic strokemaker with lose ends in his game, like Sachin Tendulkar in test matches pre-1993. (obviously Rahane is much older than pre-1993 Tendulkar, so that comparison doesn't work too well either)

Last edited:

Teja.

Global Moderator
Haha, insane to think that by the time he was as old as Rahane, Tendulkar was already firmly entrenched as an ATG.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Haha, insane to think that by the time he was as old as Rahane, Tendulkar was already firmly entrenched as an ATG.
Ya many experts like Richie Benaud clearly declared Tendulkar as the best after Bradman in 1998, when he was 25 years old. Rahane made his test debut at 25.

Flem274*

123/5
There's a bit of blockying in this thread over Rahane. Rahane has shown nothing other than excellence in his first year in the team. He's impressed me more than Pujara and Kohli during the same time period because the latter two have been pretty up and down (but still impressive).

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Hey andruid, angad, Cabinet96, Cevno, dermo, Dissector, FBU, Flem274*, hendrix, indiaholic, J_C, kp226, mde203, morgieb, NUFAN, Outswinger@Pace, ricky8741, Riggins, Saint Kopite, Sarun, Satguru, schearzie, scorpio1990, shashy, Spark, sudhindra9, Trichromatic, weldone, Yas, *****

Pujara just got dropped mofos.

Flem274*

123/5
Hey andruid, angad, Cabinet96, Cevno, dermo, Dissector, FBU, Flem274*, hendrix, indiaholic, J_C, kp226, mde203, morgieb, NUFAN, Outswinger@Pace, ricky8741, Riggins, Saint Kopite, Sarun, Satguru, schearzie, scorpio1990, shashy, Spark, sudhindra9, Trichromatic, weldone, Yas, *****

Pujara just got dropped mofos.
Yeah you're right, Poopjar isn't your best.

YOLO Rahane is.