• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best innings in a bad pitch.

Austerlitz

U19 Debutant
What's the best innings in a deteriorating pitch u have ever seen,top 3.Tests only.
It doesn't have to be second innings but the pitch has to be bad..and better if it was playe dunder pressure.

hang on

State Vice-Captain
since u have it up twice, why not make the first pertain to a glassy green top and the second on a bunsen?!

Austerlitz

U19 Debutant
Ok make it best innings on -

1]greentop/seam heaven

2]dustbowl

3]Under pressure

4]Ur most memorable innings[doesn't hav eto be on any bad pitch or under pressure..in general]

smash84

The Tiger King
On a raging fifth day dustbowl that was turning square, under pressure, and one of the most memorable innings I've witnessed:

Sunil Gavaskar's swan song. 5th Test: India v Pakistan at Bangalore, Mar 13-17, 1987 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo
You beat me to it. One of the most outstanding test match knocks of all time and that too on a raging turner.

So this was Sunny's equivalent of Sachin's Chennai '99 knock.. :(
Not really. A little more poignant end for Sunny. Legend has it that Sunny wanted to retire before the 5 match series against Pakistan and Imran Khan persuaded Sunny to wait postpone his retirement until the end of this series.

From what I read somewhere online Imran told Sunny

"We've been great opponents on the field and great friends off it so let's have one great battle one last time"..............epic stuff.....not so sure if it is true.......

dhillon28

U19 Debutant
Ok make it best innings on -

1]greentop/seam heaven

2]dustbowl

3]Under pressure

4]Ur most memorable innings[doesn't hav eto be on any bad pitch or under pressure..in general]
1. Greentop- VVS Laxman 96 vs RSA 2010 Durban

2. Dustbowl- Sehwag vs Sri Lanka 2008

3. Under pressure- VVS Laxman 280 vs Aus 2001 Kolkata

4. Most memorable- Sachin vs Pakistan 1999 Chennai

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Laxman's knock in Durban was a classic really. Shame he couldn't make it a century.

smash84

The Tiger King
Sachin's 136 was pretty good too.

Btw which is more heartbreaking. Sunny's 96 or Sachin's 136??

Teja.

Global Moderator
Sachin's 136 was pretty good too.

Btw which is more heartbreaking. Sunny's 96 or Sachin's 136??
Would imagine it's the 136 easily.

Sunny was eighth out at 180 and at that point, The match was gone completely.

We had a much more realistic chance of winning after Tendulkar got out at 136 but had a huge collapse.

vcs

Also the injured back and all that jazz. The worst thing about that match was that it epitomized the pattern of India's reliance on Sachin in the '90s in the worst possible way. There was a crushing inevitability of defeat as soon as Sachin got out.

Forgetting all that, the most notable thing about that innings in terms of Tendulkar's batting was that, it was the first time I saw him play the paddle-sweep to Saqlain, who was bowling quite brilliantly at the time. It became a very useful shot for him for the rest of his career.

smash84

The Tiger King
hmmm......somehow I get the feeling that Sunny's was the more solid innings. Not sure since I didn't watch it but I do remember Moin Khan messing up a very easy stumping off Saqlain when Sachin was yard outside his crease

Last edited:

vcs

hmmm......somehow I get the feeling that Sunny's was the more solid innings. Not sure since I didn't watch it but I do remember Moin Khan messing up a very easy stumping off Saqlain when Sachin was yard outside his crease
Yeah, there were a few chances. Though the stumping was when he was in the 60s or so IIRC. But there were also some very close LBW, bat-pad shouts etc. early on. You need a bit of luck to play an innings like that as well.

EDIT : He was missed on 91.

Last edited:

Teja.

Global Moderator
hmmm......somehow I get the feeling that Sunny's was the more solid innings. Not sure since I didn't watch it but I do remember Moin Khan messing up a very easy stumping off Saqlain
Every other ball in the match was an lbw appeal. Both captains said the umpires did a top notch job. Also Imran stated after the game that Gavaskar's Innings was the best he had ever seen.

Reckon Gavaskar's Innings is comfortably better than Tendulkar's itbt, ignoring all the aesthetic viewpoints. Remember seeing highlights of it on TV and Gavaskar was absolutely splendid.