• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cook Vs the WI quartet of the 80s

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yes, of course he does have plenty to prove. People would be criticizing Tendulkar if he came out with that statement (not as if they need any reason to criticize him already, TBF :ph34r:), leave alone Cook.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Personally I'd love to see a link to this article - can't find anything on googling and does sound extremely out of character for him to say it.

Burgey

Asif and amir destroyed teh aussie line-up when they toured aus at the start of last year 8-)8-)

Any half-decent international bowler would've troubled any batsmen on the pitches that pak and eng played on last year.
They destroyed them in one innings, on a pitch which resembled a Headingly green top.

Spark

Global Moderator
TBF they then did again. On an actual Headingley green top.

marc makes a good point. Sauce pls.

Mike5181

International Captain
He has a point about the commentators. They are biased towards their generation due to nostalgia and no doubt the general standard of player/athlete is better now than 30/40 years ago. Though they would still be great bowlers now, competing with Steyn for dominance. Though you have to wonder what brought these comments on from Cook? Did the guy imply he would be made out to look like a bunny if he were to face the West Indies quartet or something?

smash84

The Tiger King
dude you do know that you are proving my point even more.

Fine let's use your premise. Amir is ordinary.

Now Cook couldn't do anything against an ordinary bowlers so how would you expect him to do well against ATG bowlers.

And tbf to Asif he bowled marvelously well in the 2nd test in Aus. In the third test all the morale had been lost thanks to Khatmal's keeping.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Let's assume for a moment that not all the Windies bowlers were express but merely very quick

Malcolm Marsh was the equivalent of Jimmy Anderson at his best, 9 out of 10 times he bowled

Joel Garner and Curtly Ambrose were Chris Tremlett with durability, consistency and accuracy

Courtney Walsh was Stuart Broad with about 10 times the talent and durability

etc etc

Bottom line is that the current English pace attack, which is recognised as about the best in the world at present, would have been lucky to be the 3rd string for the Windies in the 80s

What's more, anyone with half-decent knowledge of the game knows it so I'd be amazed if Cook made these statement or, at the very least, they werent taken completely out of context

Last edited:

smash84

The Tiger King
Let's assume for a moment that not all the Windies bowlers were express but merely very quick

Malcolm Marsh was the equivalent of Jimmy Anderson at his best, 9 out of 10 times he bowled

Joel Garner and Curtly Ambrose were Chris Tremlett with durability, consistency and accuracy

etc etc

Bottom line is that the current English pace attack, which is recognised as about the best in the world at present, would have been lucky to be the 3rd string for the Windies in the 80s

What's more, anyone with half-decent knowledge of the game knows it so I'd be amazed if Cook made these statement or, at the very least, they werent taken completely out of context
This

Xuhaib

International Coach
Cook got nailed by Aamer and Asif every game.Aamer and Asif played with Akhtar another modern day bowler and is very comparable to Aamer and Asif but in probability a touch below Wasim and Waqar atleast at their peaks who were again of similar quality to Imran who was a touch below the likes of Ambrose and Marshall.

So my verdict Cook should shut up

salman85

International Debutant
Since the statement reeks of idiocy,i will assume that the article is talking about David Cook and his exploits on Brian Lara Cricket 1996.

Oh and for the record,Amir,Asif and Gul > Johnson, Harris, Bollinger.Anyone who suggests otherwise is at the bottom of the 'Rational People 2011' list.

2nd last on that list is Arun Lal.

Last edited:

vcs

etc etc

I think even the English bowlers you have named in that post would be hugely flattered with the comparisons you have made.

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
dude you do know that you are proving my point even more.

Fine let's use your premise. Amir is ordinary.

Now Cook couldn't do anything against an ordinary bowlers so how would you expect him to do well against ATG bowlers.

And tbf to Asif he bowled marvelously well in the 2nd test in Aus. In the third test all the morale had been lost thanks to Khatmal's keeping.
How many batsmen score 700 runs in an ashes series on foreign soil?
He struggled like many others in that very low scoring series, which proves nothing really. No one is saying that he is a great but you can't dismiss his recent performances based on that series.
Even Steyn didn't do well on the roads in middle east.
btw Cook did get 1 hundred didn't he?

Last edited:

TumTum

Banned
Oh and for the record,Amir,Asif and Gul > Johnson, Harris, Bollinger.Anyone who suggests otherwise is at the bottom of the 'Rational People 2011' list.

2nd last on that list is Arun Lal.
Depends where they play tbh. On a green top its Pak all the way, but on a typical OZ or SA pitch for example I would take the Aussie attack.

Last edited: