• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Howardj Presents - Ashes Aftermath; Australian Cricket Under the Microscope

hang on

State Vice-Captain
interesting read indeed. thanks! the references to that belter - hardehar! - roebuck's articles being the only blemish.

just a quibble -- not sure that the ashes (the series, more appropriately) would have been lost if the right training, selection etc. (all mentioned in the very first para of the piece) had been catered to correctly.

SamSawnoff

U19 Vice-Captain
More seriously, whilst it's difficult to argue with this the fact that for the most part we've heard it before, it does represent a fairly outstanding compilation of the various arguments and proposals put forth here as well as howardj's (whether deliberate or not I don't know). Definitely worth getting a proper edit and sending to the CA panel, the CA board, Clarke himself, whoever important in CA you can contact.

Maybe you should also mention Clarke being picked half-fit and under prepared for Brisbane.
And Punter declaring himself fit for Melbourne when he wasn't. I still haven't forgiven him for that.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
An enjoyable read.

The points that I'd disagree with are about the junior side of things. I think it's the one thing that CA can get a slap on the back for. The Milo IN2Cricket program is fantastic, there are lots of programs within schools especially in Victoria (which is the leader in growth in cricket at the moment).

I think you'll find that most of the competitions get it right with junior cricket times - usually 8:30am till 11:30am, which is long enough for 25 overs or so and gives an opportunity for everyone to do something, without boring them.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Very good read HJ. Good to see you're using your time on the opposition benches constructively.

I agree you should send it off to CA.

howardj

International Coach
I appreciate the largely positive feedback from everyone, and the points made by Vic_orth RE Milo cricket.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Really interesting read so far Howard. Only gave it a quick read though. Will go indepth when I have more time.

Small point, but the IPL was on Channel 10 in 2008. So when you state that the IPL 'has never been telecast on any of the four main Free to Air non-digital channels [in Australia] you are technically incorrect.

howardj

International Coach
Thanks have amended it, and incorporated Vic Orthdox points, and made some few other minor changes.

I now repost it.

Attachments

Last edited:

howardj

International Coach
In light of recent events, is it time gentlemen for another Howardj probe into Australian cricket? lol

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I am sure I will appreciate it again mate.. :) But surely, the situation around the world in terms of upcoming talent and the way it is harnessed is a mess... With all the T20 leagues and the Big 3 dominating the cricket landscape, I won't be surprised if Ind, Eng and Aus continue to suck away from home while winning handsomely at home and being very very good in LO cricket. There is a much better chance that a SL or a SA or a NZ will rise to the top of the rankings with much less attention on their players meaning they can actually get them better prepared for away tours and test matches.