• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best T20 Batman and Bowler?

salman85

International Debutant
So i'm on a new thread rage.

Anyway,the format is still young.But any picks?

I think Umar Gul has to be the best bowler.He is miles ahead of every other bowler in T20.The batsman debate is more tricky though.Umar Akmal,Chris Gayle and Yuvraj could all have a shot.

Last edited:

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
Daniel Vettori and Ajantha Mendis rule this version of the game at international level. Slight overstatement to claim Gul as the best.

Massive lol at the mention of Umar Akmal as one of the three best batsmen in Twenty20. He is a good batsman, but like Athlai I can think of numerous other cricketers more worthy of mention in a "Best T20 Batsman" thread.

weeman27bob

International Regular
Malinga > Gul and Umar Akmal isn't even the 50th best T20 batsman.
There's 30 batsmen who average more than Akmal across the T20 format, who are currently still playing.

Of course you could be of the opinion that Akmal is a better player than his average suggests, and so deserves to be higher. However, the same obviously applies to batsmen who average lower than him, so that should all (theoretically) cancel out, leading me to state that, unequivocally,

Umar Akmal is the 30th best batsman playing T20.

smash84

The Tiger King
There's 30 batsmen who average more than Akmal across the T20 format, who are currently still playing.

Of course you could be of the opinion that Akmal is a better player than his average suggests, and so deserves to be higher. However, the same obviously applies to batsmen who average lower than him, so that should all (theoretically) cancel out, leading me to state that, unequivocally,

Umar Akmal is the 30th best batsman playing T20.
haha...good one

I do think that Umar Bull is the best T20 bowler

here are the records for both

Bowling records | Twenty20 Internationals | Cricinfo Statsguru | ESPN Cricinfo

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/player/49758.html?class=3;template=results;type=bowling

Gul's record better

weeman27bob

International Regular
haha...good one

I do think that Umar Bull is the best T20 bowler

here are the records for both

Gul's record better

If you take T20 as a whole, including domestic games, then:

Malinga: 76 games 266.5 overs 1856 runs 97 wickets 19.13 avg. 6.95 E/R 16.5 S/R

Gul: 62 games 220.2 overs 1521 runs 92 wickets 16.53 avg 6.90 E/R 14.3 6 S/R

So you'd have to say that overall, Gul has been better.

However, on top form, I'd pick Malinga every time.

NasserFan207

International Vice-Captain
Disagree, Malinga is more consistent than Gul. Gul had a period where he was almost unplayable in this format, has fallen away since however.

Somerset Chops

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Umar Akmal is :laugh:

Seriously how many people would pick him in a best T20 XI ?

For me Malinga is the best bowler just so consistantly dangerous and reliable in tne format.

As for batters if i was picking players to bat for my life then Watson , Gayle , Sehwag and my T20 favorite Yusuf Pathan would be the ones.

weeman27bob

International Regular
Pollard is an ideal finisher. Someone to come in during the last 5 overs or so.

AB De Villers is also a good shout for best batsman.