• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Better ODI Batsman : Gayle or Sehwag?

Better ODI Batsman

• Total voters

salman85

International Debutant
I haven't followed the IPL at all,but i was going through cricinfo today and found out that Gayle hit a century.In the comments section of the match bulletin,i noted an interesting comment:

"For those of you who keep harping about Gayles consistency, check this out Gayle has a higher battibg average in ODIs than Sewag 39 to 35 he has more centurries 19 to 14 despite playing less ODIs Do we say Sewag is inconsistent? In fact he has a better avergae than several top ODI openers. The problem is that he is playing on a lsoing team and has to score big everytime fior them to win"

The comparison had never crossed my mind before this comment.So,who do you think is better?

Last edited:

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Interesting question. Sehwag was an underachiever for a long time in ODI cricket, but he has got his average moving in the right direction in the last few years. Gayle's on the other hand, seems to be dropping. Gayle is a superb ODI batsman though, remember him totally dominating in the 2006 Champions Trophy.

salman85

International Debutant
I do think Gayle has an issue with consistency.

Whereas when set,both batsmen can destroy the opposition,Sehwag is more likely to get you a quickfire 30 odd than Gayle IMO.With Gayle it's probably more of destroy or self destruct.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
Always wonder why Sehwag doesn't just emulate his test batting style in ODIs a bit more. Scoring at an average of 45-50 with a SR of 80-90 would be quite incredible. He always tries to do too much in limited overs cricket, doesn't use his second gear often enough. Of course, many would argue that that's what his job is in the 50 over format; have a blast at the top, to get India off to a flyer at any cost.

As for the actual question-Gayle, just. Probably Sehwag in a few years though, provided he continues bumping up his average.

benchmark00

Always wonder why Sehwag doesn't just emulate his test batting style in ODIs a bit more. Scoring at an average of 45-50 with a SR of 80-90 would be quite incredible. He always tries to do too much in limited overs cricket, doesn't use his second gear often enough. Of course, many would argue that that's what his job is in the 50 over format; have a blast at the top, to get India off to a flyer at any cost.
Michael Slater board.

vcs

Yeah, Sehwag needs to stop backing away to make room every second ball to the spinners in ODIs. Just play normally FFS.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Tbf, to him i think he has started to do that in recent times and his role in the ODI setup with the batting to come afterwards is majorly to get the team off to a flyer.

He is even worse in T20'S though. Does not take singles and tries to smash almost everything.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Gayle.

Sehwag remains one of those cricketers who save their brilliance for only one format when they have it in them to excel in both. He has the ability to play Tendulkar like knocks fairly regularly only if he'd put his head down and concentrate.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
I wonder if it will be good for Sehwag to bat in the middle order (lest we forget, he WAS a middle order batsman to start with). He is a murderer of pin bowling. On top he often gets out trying to be over attacking against quality pacers.

Blaze 18

Banned
Thirteen out of Sehwag's fourteen hundreds have resulted in an Indian win.
Ten out of Gayle's nineteen hundreds have resulted in a West Indian win.
Clearly, Sehwag is a match-winner and Gayle isn't. :ph34r:

On a serious note, Gayle. Only just though.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
Thirteen out of Sehwag's fourteen hundreds have resulted in an Indian win.
Ten out of Gayle's nineteen hundreds have resulted in a West Indian win.
Clearly, Sehwag is a match-winner and Gayle isn't. :ph34r:

On a serious note, Gayle. Only just though.
Ah, the very same argument often used to try prove that Inzi is better than Tendulkar.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Like to throw in Dilshan to the mix as well. All three are attacking batsmen and off spinners too. But three are clearly different in attitude. Gayle laid back, Dilshan, a monumental prick, and Sehwag, in between.

Gayle: I - 223, A - 39.1, SR - 84
Sehwag: I - 230, A - 35.1, SR - 104
Dilshan: I - 179, A - 36.1, SR - 88

My pick is Gayle.

vcs

Dilshan has been fantastic ever since he started opening. Great idea that was.