• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The importance of IPL....

Bun

Banned
Sanjay Manjrekar: Thank god for the IPL | Opinion | Cricinfo Magazine | ESPN Cricinfo

A good article imho.

I believe the IPL should be given a special window in the ICC cricket calendar for just one reason and one reason only: because the players benefit from it greatly.

Some of us today, who in some capacity or the other are connected with the game and are making a living from it, should be grateful to the players who are performing in the sun. "Just imagine if tomorrow, for some reason, the players stopped playing. We will all be out of jobs," a fellow commentator said. It is a remark I will never forget.

It is actually the simple reality of our professions. And it is a reality that we in media, sports management or administration should never forget. By allowing current players to play in the IPL, without having to choose between country and club, the administrators have a great chance to show the players gratitude, which is something they don't get enough of.

A cricketer spends the prime of his life, starting from about age 10, on the cricket field, training to become a top-class player. When he finally becomes one of the rare few to make it to the top, he discovers he has only a short time there to make the most of his acquired skills. Other performing artists are more fortunate than cricketers in this regard, and yes, I don't have to say this, you know it well: a 21-year cricket career is possible only for the chosen ones.
Of course, cricketers who can build around their core cricket skills are able to carve out careers in media, coaching and other related occupations, and thus sustain themselves after their cricket careers are over.

But there are many who are incapable of developing other skills, and feel completely lost in the world outside cricket. It's a horrible feeling when the cricketer starts to realise that the skills he acquired with great effort over the years, the skills he was so proud of and which people paid good money to watch, are slowly beginning to desert him with age. And then that day comes when it dawns on him that the world has no use for him anymore. I guess that is a fact of life that hits everyone at some point of their lives, but cricketers are less prepared for it than most. For a man who has largely lived an uncommon life, it's not easy to merge into the common world. This situation is frightening, to say the least, and there are numerous cricketers who are trying to make a go of it. I meet such players quite often, and it distresses me to see that many are not doing a great job. The IPL is a boon for such cricketers, who find life after cricket tough. It is one way of making sure we have fewer players like this in future.

I know international cricket makes money for players, but it does not even come close to matching what one IPL season can put in their pockets. Maybe we need to find out why international cricket, the highest level of our sport, is not making the most money for players.

Take the example of Lasith Malinga. He didn't have the fitness to be a regular member of the Sri Lanka Test side - from which he has just announced his retirement - and he perhaps doesn't know how long his international career will last. It's difficult to see him making a career in the media. So should he be grudged if he wants to secure his future with a few IPL seasons? Taking this argument forward, should he be placed in a position where he has to choose between his own future and playing for his country?

Increasingly players from countries like Sri Lanka, West Indies and New Zealand will face such questions, and it is unfair on them as individuals.

The other advantage of the IPL is that you don't have to be a truly extraordinary player to make the big bucks. If you have decent Twenty20 skills, and the franchisee feels you are well-behaved and not going to give them too much trouble, your life is made.
I wonder if you have noticed a dramatic change on the Indian cricket stage recently. At the World Cup final, for instance, apart from the hundreds of screaming fans in the stands, who were the people the cameras constantly panned to? They were mostly politicians, Bollywood celebrities, rich businessmen and cricket officials. The couple or so cricketers you may have seen during the coverage were former players who are now involved in administration and thus were able to get prime seats.

Where were the other former India players? Mumbai is home to more cricketers who played for India than any other city, and surely these players would have liked to see their team play in the final of a World Cup. So where were the Wadekars and the Nadkarnis? Either they did not turn up or were not given the VIP seats that TV cameras generally find famous people in. I have learnt that these past stalwarts increasingly find themselves out of place in this new world of Indian cricket.

Whether we like it or not, we have come to accept that fame, power and money open most doors in the world. The IPLs may, if not anything else, ensure that the average retired cricketer has at least the last of those three attributes to find a VIP seat at a World Cup final.

The IPL has its flaws, but no other cricket event in history has created so much wealth for such a large number of players. As a former India cricketer I am glad it is making so many domestic players financially secure. It's up to the other cricket boards in the world, particularly those who can't hope to generate such revenues themselves, to help their players share in the IPL's riches.

Last edited:

shivfan

Banned
Thank God for the IPL - Manjrekar

"I believe the IPL should be given a special window in the ICC cricket calendar for just one reason and one reason only: because the players benefit from it greatly."

And....

"I know international cricket makes money for players, but it does not even come close to matching what one IPL season can put in their pockets. Maybe we need to find out why international cricket, the highest level of our sport, is not making the most money for players. Take the example of Lasith Malinga. He didn't have the fitness to be a regular member of the Sri Lanka Test side - from which he has just announced his retirement - and he perhaps doesn't know how long his international career will last. It's difficult to see him making a career in the media. So should he be grudged if he wants to secure his future with a few IPL seasons? Taking this argument forward, should he be placed in a position where he has to choose between his own future and playing for his country? Increasingly players from countries like Sri Lanka, West Indies and New Zealand will face such questions, and it is unfair on them as individuals."

And....

"Whether we like it or not, we have come to accept that fame, power and money open most doors in the world. The IPLs may, if not anything else, ensure that the average retired cricketer has at least the last of those three attributes to find a VIP seat at a World Cup final. The IPL has its flaws, but no other cricket event in history has created so much wealth for such a large number of players. As a former India cricketer I am glad it is making so many domestic players financially secure. It's up to the other cricket boards in the world, particularly those who can't hope to generate such revenues themselves, to help their players share in the IPL's riches."

http://www.espncricinfo.com/magazine/content/story/512108.

Spark

Global Moderator
Dileep Premachandran made a number of similar comments today. I agree with the general gist but what I don't want is to see IPL become the dominant focus of a large subset of cricketers, hence degrading the overall quality in the Test field.

Teja.

Global Moderator
While I'm not sure I agree re the window, It's a good article IMO. I hate it when people get all pseudo-moral on cricketers wanting to earn money in the IPL as if love for country over money is an objectively required trait of a decent human being or something.

Bun

Banned
Dileep Premachandran made a number of similar comments today. I agree with the general gist but what I don't want is to see IPL become the dominant focus of a large subset of cricketers, hence degrading the overall quality in the Test field.
Market dynamics.. test cricket will have to be more rewarding otherwise inevitably the t20 leagues are going to rule the roost..

Spark

Global Moderator
Which is bad news IMO.

If this means that a few national contracts have to go higher than they would otherwise, so be it.

Last edited:

Bun

Banned
Which is bad news IMO.

If this means that a few national contracts have to go higher than they would otherwise, so be it.
True. Otherwise the smaller boards will have to allow their players to participate in the IPL and thereby adopt a schedule planned around the IPL, unfortunately or fortunately.

Personally IPL from an Indian perspective has proven to be a godsend. It has allowed the domestic players (atleast 70 of them this season alone) to rub their shoulders with the cream of International cricket and parade their skills in front of millions. It has also taken off a lot of pressure on BCCI to earn from conducting pointless ODI series and has also led them to actually schedule more tests.

I'd love to see a future where T20s and test cricket only remain. No T20Is remember, just plain club T20 cricket. No ODIs too. They've done their purpose imho.

salman85

International Debutant
What's with the 21 year old career comment by Sanjay?Seemed like a dig at Tendulkar.

I\m OK with the money IPL makes,but like it;s been pointed out in this thread,this will slowly but surely make Test Cricket die.To not admit that would be foolish.Now all countries have their own domestic T20 competitions after they've seen IPL boom,and it;s only a matter of time before all major countries have their own ICC licensed 'international' T20 competitions,much like football leagues.I see no problem with it TBH,the game has to evolve and even though the traditional cricket fan would scoff at the mere idea of Test Cricket being discontinued,things are moving in that direction.The game won't die,it will just stay alive in a different format.

shivfan

Banned
Damn, if I'd seen this thread, I wouldn't have started one of my own....
:)
I totally agree with the points Manjrekar makes.

The WICB needs to work with the IPL, and stop fighting against them. Stop taking part in series that clash with the IPL.

MyLord

School Boy/Girl Captain
I\m OK with the money IPL makes,but like it;s been pointed out in this thread,this will slowly but surely make Test Cricket die.
No it won't. Cricket will go back to its roots. Independently wealthy amateur gentlemen (lets coin a term 'aristocrats' for this class of players), who are not in it for the money and cricketers who cant hack it in the T20s will play Tests.

The professional cricketers will play wherever the money is, likely to T20 or ODIs.

I am only half joking.

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
I honestly believe that fewer Tests will be played in the coming years and that the quality of cricket will go down because of more and more 20/20s.
We are seeing quality fast bowlers opting out of tests and this trend will continue.

Spark

Global Moderator
I'm not sure if I would care about cricket if there were no Tests tbh. Just wouldn't be the same sport, a mere shadow of an impostor.

Kylez

State Vice-Captain
How many of us CW members value the IPL as important? On what scale would you put the IPL?

I haven't watched one ball of the IPL this season, but then again I don't know if Australia even broadcasts it..

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I honestly believe that fewer Tests will be played in the coming years and that the quality of cricket will go down because of more and more 20/20s.
We are seeing quality fast bowlers opting out of tests and this trend will continue.
On the contrary, the reason foreigners like Dale Steyn, Andrew Flintoff and Kevin Pietersen either have or had $1m+ contracts is largely because of their international performances. How foreign players go in international cricket will largely determine what IPL sides will pay them.

It's slightly different for Indian players, supply and demand means that top Indian players will always be able to command a premium in salary.

Shri

Mr. Glass
On the contrary, the reason foreigners like Dale Steyn, Andrew Flintoff and Kevin Pietersen either have or had $1m+ contracts is largely because of their international performances. How foreign players go in international cricket will largely determine what IPL sides will pay them.

It's slightly different for Indian players, supply and demand means that top Indian players will always be able to command a premium in salary.
Nah, former players would recommend/talent scouts would spot stars in FC/T20 tournaments and players like Pollard who are not successful internationally will find a way to make big money. Thats what I think anyway.