• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The importance of IPL....

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Nah, former players would recommend/talent scouts would spot stars in FC/T20 tournaments and players like Pollard who are not successful internationally will find a way to make big money. Thats what I think anyway.
Yeah, you're always going to get exceptions, but I don't think players like Pollard will be the norm in terms of big earners.

Howsie

International Captain
Creating a window for the IPL will set a dangerous precedent, personally I don't think it will ever officially happen but I think most of the "smaller" boards will do their best to make sure they're not playing cricket while the IPL is taking place; that's if they're not already doing so now.

Pakistan's current tour of the West Indies is a good example of why a window is next to useless, three players from the two teams are taking part in this years IPL, obviously all three are West Indian. If a window was in place upwards of 20 odd players could possibly miss out on making 10-50 thousand dollars worth of match payments just so three players could make themselves a little fortune, it doesn't exactly add up does it?

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
I'm not sure if I would care about cricket if there were no Tests tbh. Just wouldn't be the same sport, a mere shadow of an impostor.
So true.

I find 20/20 incredibly boring. And if cricket is reduced to playing 20/20 franchises I won't be following cricket anymore.

Borges

International Regular
Creating a window for the IPL will set a dangerous precedent, personally I don't think it will ever officially happen but I think most of the "smaller" boards will do their best to make sure they're not playing cricket while the IPL is taking place; that's if they're not already doing so now.

Pakistan's current tour of the West Indies is a good example of why a window is next to useless, three players from the two teams are taking part in this years IPL, obviously all three are West Indian. If a window was in place upwards of 20 odd players could possibly miss out on making 10-50 thousand dollars worth of match payments just so three players could make themselves a little fortune, it doesn't exactly add up does it?
I think the boards should just charge a hefty fee for giving an NOC - something like 50% or so of the IPL earnings. Give an NOC freely to anyone who asks for it; and add that money to the pool for test match fees.

No point in blaming the IPL alone, when they have rules in place such that the ultimate say on who can play in the IPL lies with their respective national boards.

Last edited:

Dissector

International Debutant
Lalit Modi's departure from the IPL was great news for test cricket IMO. Modi had the dynamism and vision to expand the IPL till it would have potentially threatened the rest of the game. BCCI honchos are competent enough to keep the IPL going but don't have the ambition and savvy to take over the cricket calendar.

As for the IPL itself I don't mind it so long as it stays at its current scale. It allows you to watch some interesting matchups and I'm glad that it's allowed Indian first class players to make some serious money.

NasserFan207

International Vice-Captain
People are exaggerating the popularity of T20 and its capacity to expand. There will always be a market for test cricket, and both forms are so different I don't see why they should really over-ride each other.

There's really not much to T20 as a sport. Test cricket is infinitely more complex in terms of the skills being shown and its possibilities. Both formats attract different markets.

Last edited:

jashan83

U19 Captain
I think over time each country will have their own T20 series (IPL, SLPL, PPL, NCL T20, Big Bash, EPL, WI T20, HRV Cup, Standard Bank Pro 20 Series, Stanbic Bank 20 Series, American Premier League) as the primary resource earner.
Round the year we will have the T20 league and the franchise will have bunch of players from different countries as replacement when their home countries will be playing

As part of the tours they will go back to the old times with just test series (Life goes in a full circle) with all modification in tests (Pink Balls, Day night tests) to make them more interesting and will surely be revenue earner. I believe countries like Aus, Eng, NZ and many true followers in Ind, Pak, SL, WI & SA surely will never want to get away with tests. These test would also be a part of the greater World Test Championship

The ODI and T20I will be limited to World Cup, World T20, Asia Cup etc.

New countries will enter cricket world through T20 and if they mature as cricket nations they would also want to take Test playing

Spark

Global Moderator
Lalit Modi's departure from the IPL was great news for test cricket IMO. Modi had the dynamism and vision to expand the IPL till it would have potentially threatened the rest of the game. BCCI honchos are competent enough to keep the IPL going but don't have the ambition and savvy to take over the cricket calendar.

As for the IPL itself I don't mind it so long as it stays at its current scale. It allows you to watch some interesting matchups and I'm glad that it's allowed Indian first class players to make some serious money.
Agreed with this.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
IPL will have my support when it is reduced to a 2 week tournament. Which tournament involving as many as 10 teams has every team playing every other team ffs?

Cracket

Cricket Spectator
One good thing to come out of IPL is that the nation boards will be more motivated to pay their cricketers more. Compared to other sports, the pay cricketers receive usually is piss poor and that is where IPL *IS* a major improvement.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Not really because most boards just can't afford to equal the sums offerred by the IPL so it creates a situation in which some players would prefer to play for a franchise than their own country in order to get a bigger pay check.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Eventually they will be able to afford to pay players a better rate though. Of course they won't pay the IPL rates, but the sport HAS to increase its wages. You can't have such a difference between pay compared to other sports. Especially when you can only make your national team to get some real cash. Compared to other sports (AFL, Rugby League, soccer etc.) where there are many clubs to play for and hence more opportunities to earn.

Cricket pay has to go up, and it is happening.

Spark

Global Moderator
How big are the state contracts here? Obviously the top tier national contracts for your Watsons, Pontings and Clarkes are in the six-zero range which is what you'd expect for elite professional sportsmen.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Eventually they will be able to afford to pay players a better rate though. The sport HAS to do it. You can't have such a difference between pay. Especially when you can only make your national team, compared to other sports (AFL, Rugby League, soccer etc.) where there are many clubs to play for.

Cricket pay has to go up, and it is happening.
Yes, they are going up, but at what cost? I agree that pay needs to go up, but not because of a tournament that most of the world doesn't care about despite paying for the production of the cricketers playing

Last edited:

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
How big are the state contracts here? Obviously the top tier national contracts for your Watsons, Pontings and Clarkes are in the six-zero range which is what you'd expect for elite professional sportsmen.
Cricket competes very well in pay rates IMO