• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The importance of IPL....

smash84

The Tiger King
A fair enough statement

But I bring you back to my previous point - Why should boards spend millions of dollars on the development of players if IPL is the most important tournament for players? Would that not be a serious problem for Int. Cricket?
PCB/WICB are not doing that :ph34r:

Blaze 18

Banned
OTOH if people have their places already cemented in the side then they can take a few weeks off from representing their country and make millions of $$$ in the IPL. They don't really have much to lose.
Any examples? I'll ignore the fact that he hasn't cemented his place in the test/ODI side and give you Pollard. Anyone else?

Borges

International Regular
This is a very good point. So many talented Indians and Pakistanis are working abroad not because they won't get a comfortable lifestyle in their home countries but because their lifestyle abroad would be much much better than at home.
No it is not a good point. That is just equivalent to opting to play for South Australian Redbacks rather than the Kochi Tuskers because the Redbacks pay substantially more.

Representing one's country, in any field, is a completely different matter altogether. There are enough examples for that, in India, all over the world. For instance, a supreme court judge would earn much more in private practice, the US secretary of state takes a cut in earnings, and so forth. I agree that people choose what rewards them more; but those rewards could be things like pride, self-satisfaction, respect, honour etc., not just money. Heck, even hard-nosed businesses splurge on 'prestige advertising'. The Bharat Ratna, the Nobel Prize or the Oscar is not fiercely coveted because of the monetary part associated with the award.

Last edited:

smash84

The Tiger King
Any examples? I'll ignore the fact that he hasn't cemented his place in the test/ODI side and give you Pollard. Anyone else?
Take the current SL crop as an example. IIRC they signed a contract with BCCI that they won't leave the IPL until 15th or 20th May.

The Pak cricketers would have done the same had the opportunity presented itself and WI/Bangers would also do the same.

Didn't Shane Bond/ MoYo/ Yasir Hameed/ Imran Farhat/ Imran Nazir leave their international careers for some money on the side in the ICL :wacko:.........perfect example

smash84

The Tiger King
No it is not a good point. That is just equivalent to opting to play for South Australian Redbacks rather than the Kochi Tuskers because the Redbacks pay substantially more.

Representing one's country, in any field, is a completely different matter altogether. There are enough examples for that, in India, all over the world. For instance, a supreme court judge would earn much more in private practice, the US secretary of state takes a cut in earnings, and so forth. I agree that people choose what rewards them more; but those rewards could be things like pride, self-satisfaction, respect, honour etc., not just money. Heck, even hard-nosed businesses splurge on 'prestige advertising'.
By good point I meant not good in the honorable sense.

I meant that people working abroad at the first opportunity was a good example of how people choose material rewards over working for country and all the patriotic horse ****

Bun

Banned
For one, most players are already rich, IPL or no IPL. After a point, money pretty much becomes meaningless. What difference does, say, one extra million dollars make, when you already have one hundred million dollars? Fame is a funny word. Is Kieron Pollard more famous than Rahul Dravid?

I'm not really sure what there is to argue about here. If you really think the two cases are similar, then that's cool; nothing I can do to change that.
do you really believe there can be end to man's greed?

Blaze 18

Banned
Take the current SL crop as an example. IIRC they signed a contract with BCCI that they won't leave the IPL until 15th or 20th May.
Are they missing an international match? :)

The Pak cricketers [I]would[/I] have done the same had the opportunity presented itself and WI/Bangers would also do the same.
Word in bold is key, hasn't happened yet.

Didn't Shane Bond/ MoYo/ Yasir Hameed/ Imran Farhat/ Imran Nazir leave their international careers for some money on the side in the ICL :wacko:.........perfect example
Shane Bond and Mohammad Yousuf had some issues with their respective boards. It's not that they just ran off to represent a rebel league for a few extra bucks. I'm unaware of what issues Imran Nazir and Imran Farhat had, but neither were first eleven picks for Pakistan.

Borges

International Regular
The Sri Lankan Board gave them an NOC upto 20th May. Now they have given them time till 18th May as per the agreement between SLC and BCCI. Dilshan wants to leave much earlier than that so that he could be with the SL squad; Mahla and Sanga are leaving earlier than that date to join the SL squad. All of them will lose money by doing that.

Borges

International Regular
do you really believe there can be end to man's greed?
No, I don't.

Though I must add that I would deem people who believed that the only possible greed could be greed for money to be extremely naive.

Blaze 18

Banned
By good point I meant not good in the honorable sense.

I meant that people working abroad at the first opportunity was a good example of how people choose material rewards over working for country and all the patriotic horse ****
But it isn't the same thing. There are a myriad factors that influence a person's decision to work/study abroad : prestige, quality of job, quality of education, quality of lifestyle, safety, etc. Also, I struggle to see how working abroad means someone isn't patriotic.

Bun

Banned

Representing one's country, in any field, is a completely different matter altogether. There are enough examples for that, in India, all over the world. For instance, a supreme court judge would earn much more in private practice, the US secretary of state takes a cut in earnings, and so forth. I agree that people choose what rewards them more; but those rewards could be things like pride, self-satisfaction, respect, honour etc., not just money. Heck, even hard-nosed businesses splurge on 'prestige advertising'. The Bharat Ratna, the Nobel Prize or the Oscar is not fiercely coveted because of the monetary part associated with the award.
way to miss the point.

anyways if a player stands to earn way more, there is nothing wrong in ekeing out a career for them anywhere, be it tuskers, or redbacks.

had that not been the case, there wont be so many guys migrating from sa to eng. the morgans and the trotts would still be trying to play for their home teams.

a person has full right to maximise his returns with the skill set he's got, and national boundaries shoulnt be an issue ideally. not atleast in this world.

Borges

International Regular
way to miss the point.
Yes, I know you have missed the point.

anyways if a player stands to earn way more, there is nothing wrong in ekeing out a career for them anywhere, be it tuskers, or redbacks.
Has anyone here said that it is wrong?

a person has full right to maximise his returns with the skill set he's got, and national boundaries shoulnt be an issue ideally. not atleast in this world.
Has anyone here said that he does not have such a right?

Bun

Banned
No, I don't.

Though I must add that I would deem people who believed that the only possible greed could be greed for money to be extremely naive.
pretty sure its the most prevalent form of greed
But it isn't the same thing. There are a myriad factors that influence a person's decision to work/study abroad : prestige, quality of job, quality of education, quality of lifestyle, safety, etc. Also, I struggle to see how working abroad means someone isn't patriotic.
precisely.

same way a player who decides to choose franchise cricket over representing the national cricket team shoulnt also be considered unpatriotic.

Blaze 18

Banned
Yes, I know you have missed the point.

Has anyone here said that it is wrong?

Has anyone here said that he does not have such a right?
Exactly. No-one here has said it's wrong, merely that representing your country is more honourable, and that most players would rather represent their country, if they had to choose between representing their franchise and representing their country.

jeevan

International 12th Man
Err, people realize that most of these cricket boards are agglomerates of private cricket clubs -right? Who have somehow managed to get their hands on the stewardship of a public good - i.e. the use of the name of their country for this game.

Serving BCCI (or WICB) by sailing on to yet another ODI series is not equal to serving India.

For instance, real national duties would've been in playing in the Asian games. BD, Pakistan, SL sent third stringers, India sent none (as they couldn't send the first choice team).