Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Malinga retires from tests

International Regular Jayzamann's Avatar

Malinga retires from tests

I don't make threads normally, so apologies for... whatever

Sri Lanka news: Lasith Malinga gives up Test cricket | Sri Lanka Cricket News | ESPN Cricinfo

First I've heard of the injury, certainly unexpected because iirc, Malinga played pretty damn nicely in Murali's last home series. I thought he was the hardier of the two 'Slingers'.

Now he's just a hired gun.

International Vice-Captain robelinda's Avatar
    One less bowler to worry about come August....
    My Youtube cricket channels, thousands of gold old videos

http://www.youtube.com/user/robelinda2

http://www.youtube.com/user/robelinda

Bun
    Banned
    He's never been a force in tests tbh. And good on him to concentrate on the stuff he excels in. Expecting more and more bowlers to follow his and Tait's way.

Duck Hunt Champion! Plops Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 2
    Disappointing but you could see it was coming. Bowler like him seems to breakdown in Test cricket, and with so many more options these days to earn your money in cricket it makes sense to give it up.

We might see a lot of fast bowlers give up Test cricket earlier than you'd typically want with the rise of T20 $$$
    Direbirds FTW!

Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Wellington will win the whole thing next year. Mark my words.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    I'll offer up my avatar to Athlai forever if Wellington wins the Champions League.
    President of T.I.T.S
    Tamim Is Talented Society

Should have done this officially sometime back I reckon. Anyway our bowling attack in tests takes a massive hit.
    "I will go down as Darren Sammy, the one who always smiles" - Darren Sammy

Wow. This is out of the blue.

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Nah, with his knee and such, you knew it was going to happen soon (though I didn't think THIS soon). Plus it's hard to pass up years and more money for a potential one-more-and-bust Test series.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Very disappointing. Kid's like 27? Shouldn't even have peaked much less retired.

As for his action, it's unconventional, but he's not a unit like Tait or Fred, so I don't think it's necessarily to blame for his knee. If he was suffering from shoulder ligament woes I could maybe see it, but my guess is it's a genetic weakness.

As for him not being a force in tests; he's a sight better than the other SL seam options that I've seen.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"as much a news event as an actual footballer, a worthy stop-start centre forward, but an all-time hyper-galactico when it comes to doing funny things with cars and hats, a player whose signing proves once again that the Premier League is still undoubtedly the best in the world when it comes to doing things with cars and hats."
    - Barney Ronay on Mario Balotelli

Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    Nah, with his knee and such, you knew it was going to happen soon (though I didn't think THIS soon). Plus it's hard to pass up years and more money for a potential one-more-and-bust Test series.
    Sarcasm detector broken today?

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    Very disappointing. Kid's like 27? Shouldn't even have peaked much less retired.

As for his action, it's unconventional, but he's not a unit like Tait or Fred, so I don't think it's necessarily to blame for his knee. If he was suffering from shoulder ligament woes I could maybe see it, but my guess is it's a genetic weakness.

As for him not being a force in tests; he's a sight better than the other SL seam options that I've seen.
    This
    And smalishah's avatar is the most classy one by far Jan certainly echoes the sentiments of CW

Yeah we don't crap in the first world; most of us would actually have no idea what that was emanating from Ajmal's backside. Why isn't it roses and rainbows like what happens here? PEWS's retort to Ganeshran on Daemon's picture depicting Ajmal's excreta

Banned
    I think it's pretty obvious to most of us that Malinga's retirement was caused by Sri Lanka's board calling him back from the IPL for a fitness test....

This problem is similar to the one involving Gayle and the WICB. When will the WICB and SLC realise that they can't compete with the IPL? The money offered by the IPL is much more than what these boards can pay....

There's only one way out of this, and poorer boards like the WICB and SLC are going to have to accept the IPL, and work around the IPL schedule, and make sure they don't accept any international series that clashes with the IPL. Otherwise, they will lose players like Malinga and Gayle, and it's not worth it....

Sure, the ECB and Cricket Australia seem to be keen to take on the IPL, but let them! The poorer boards shouldn't fight their battles for them, because they're the ones who suffer the most. It's time that the WICB and SLC worth with the IPL, and not against them.

Banned
    Not a surprise to be honest. Was always on the cards.

International Debutant M0rphin3's Avatar
    Yeah was just a matter of time tbh. Wonder how weak SL's bowling resources would be without him especially in the pace department.
    Quote Originally Posted by mudrunner View Post
    give 21yo smith a break. bradmans figures for his first few tests were comparable.....

Proud Supporter of: Shakib Al Hasan, Kane Williamson, Adam Milne

Smart move.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information