• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Conflicting statements on Gayle

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Was going to say something similar, particularly in the case of Warne who retired more than a year before the first IPL but why let the facts get in the way?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Was going to say something similar, particularly in the case of Warne who retired more than a year before the first IPL but why let the facts get in the way?
Come on, he knew.

Actually, don't IPL players need a certificate of permission from their respective boards? Couldn't the WICB force Gayle to not play in it if they were properly set on it?

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Come on, he knew.

Actually, don't IPL players need a certificate of permission from their respective boards? Couldn't the WICB force Gayle to not play in it if they were properly set on it?
Yes they can.

But apparently they decided to give their clearance anyway.I am guessing with pressure from WIPA.

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
Come on, he knew.

They could and there was apparently some resistance to that. They get some of his pay anyway by letting him go.

Borges

International Regular
TBH, I lost a lot of respect for Gayle after the "would not be sad if test cricket died out" comment. His subsequent retractions just seemed like furious backpedaling to me, in the mold of a Hollywood spin-meister.

Can't unsay certain things, so unless he never said that....
With respect to the "would not be sad if test cricket died out" comment, usually quoted in isolation ignoring the totality of what Gayle said in that interview, always quoted without the context in which he said it, I have a fair amount of sympathy for Gayle.

As I remember it, this is what had happened. Strauss started the whole thing, quite churlishly IMHO, when he realized that currying favour with the English media could be a good thing for a newly appointed captain, and decided to do that by needlessly taunting the visiting captain about his commitment to test cricket. Gayle reacted to it very petulantly, essentially implying that the comments of Strauss about Gayle's participation in T20 was motivated by envy because he was not good enough to play T20. That he "would not be sad if test cricket died out", while Strauss would have nowhere to go if that happened. The clever journalist, as journalists are wont to, decided to go to town, trumpeting that single comment taken in isolation.

Not a nice thing to have said of course, but it is my belief that the media and the fans made far too much out of it. It certainly was not as cynical as it appears to be when viewed in isolation.

shivfan

Banned
Lol shivfan, are you suggesting Hayden, Gilchrist and Warne don't care about test cricket just because they retired and are playing IPL?

Their situations (retiring in their late 30s) is completely different to Gayle.
Gayle hasn't retired from Test cricket yet, has he?
:cool:
He might do so in his late 30s, in which case he will be just like these other guys....

Judge him on his actions, the quotes posted by roseboy, whether he chooses to play IPL instead of Pakistan, what happens to his career after that, but please leave that tired, boring quote taken out of context by a Guardian journalist so long ago....
8-)

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I don't care about the rest of your post, but don't pretend that Gilchrist, Warne and Hayden retired because they cbf playing test cricket, and were money hungry cricketers who wanted to just have IPL money. That is what you implicated.

Teja.

Global Moderator
Look how many Aussie and Kiwi cricketers have retired from international cricket, but are still enjoying a career as a 20/20 player in the IPL....
8-)
Excuse me? Fitness levels to play International test cricket are different to levels required to bowl 4 overs every few days.

abmk

State 12th Man
TBH, I lost a lot of respect for Gayle after the "would not be sad if test cricket died out" comment. His subsequent retractions just seemed like furious backpedaling to me, in the mold of a Hollywood spin-meister.

Can't unsay certain things, so unless he never said that....
This ..............

Quaggas

State Captain
That he "would not be sad if test cricket died out", while Strauss would have nowhere to go if that happened.
Ah, more like:

"I'd not be sad if all women were to be evacuated to Venus because I'm a great wanker, while Strauss would have nothing to turn to.

:ph34r:

hang on

State Vice-Captain
for all his alleged disdain for test cricket, he has been rather good at the format over the past couple of years. did well in australia. did well in lanka. new zealand, too. wouldn't be a stretch to say that he is their best test player.

KiWiNiNjA

International Coach
I'm not bothered by Gayle's comments about Test cricket - at least he's honest enough to have said out loud what quite a few cricketers around the world were saying privately. Look how many Aussie and Kiwi cricketers have retired from international cricket, but are still enjoying a career as a 20/20 player in the IPL....
That would be ZERO. :)

Athlai

Not Terrible
That would be ZERO. :)
Fleming would kind of count a season back when he was officially a "player/coach" just was a far far far better coaching option than a playing one.

It also makes me wonder why Bond didn't push to try get fit for the IPL, you'd think he could get a decent price tag.