• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Your Cricket Season

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
It's really good when one of the children in your form has a parent playing in the same league as you.

That way the child can greet you with all kinds of polite remarks the following week.

Teaches me to encourage banter...

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Wednesday - Cheam 150/8 beat Dragon 70 by 80 runs.
The worst performance I have seen in 11 years of off-the-field involvement in cricket. I let them know that. Ropeable.
As in Cheam CC in Surrey? If so, that's the same club that my 10-year old pays for. Small world and all that.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
As in Cheam CC in Surrey? If so, that's the same club that my 10-year old pays for. Small world and all that.
Nah, Cheam School, Newbury.

My dealings with Surrey are generally restricted to the County U10s at the Malvern Festival in August... how good's Lewis junior?

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Nah, Cheam School, Newbury.

My dealings with Surrey are generally restricted to the County U10s at the Malvern Festival in August... how good's Lewis junior?
Better than his dad was. But not as good as the guys from the stronger clubs that we come across. He really enjoys it and is seriously competitive, as he is about most things in life. His bowling is useful when his radar's working because he's tall and either gets a bit of lift off a good length or sends down a decent yorker. Not entirely deliberate of course, but it makes him effective. He bats tenaciously rather than fluently. He knows that having six runs deducted for dismissals puts a premium on preserving his wicket, so he keeps the straight ones out most of the time.
Looking at that, I've probably overstated things a bit. To put him in context, he's not close to the district sides, although he more than holds his own for Cheam..

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Well the Surrey district sides are usually around about the same level as a typical minor county side, so there's no shame in that!

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Well the Surrey district sides are usually around about the same level as a typical minor county side, so there's no shame in that!
Yeah, to my untrained eye there are some talented players at the better clubs.
tbh it's definitely his second sport, and playing a lot of football during the winter means that winter training sessions for cricket aren't really an option.

He's had some good moments though. He actually took a hat-trick a couple of seasons ago. Typical 8-year old thing - the first one was caught at mid-wicket and the second one was caught at extra cover before clean bowling the third one with a rare straight ball. It was all very special, not least because it was the only time my dad got to see him play. At a ground where he and I had also played in previous generations. Of course, Christopher had no idea how big a deal it was. iirc they were the first wickets he ever took for the club.

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
Had acupuncture on my groin injury yesterday. terrific fun putting needles into my upper leg.

only when you're injured do you realise how much you enjoy playing cricket. have fun those playing today.

jan

State Vice-Captain
Played against my team in a t20 league match. I wasnt selected and just hung around. Luckily the opposition didnt have 11 players so I jumped in.
Dropped a sitter, a really high ball I could hardly see against the sun - must admit I was really scared when I put my hands almost blindly in front of my face. Bowled two expensive overs and managed to hit my (club) teammate painfully in the elbow by slow full toss.
Then had to leave before the 2nd innings to catch the bus - the ground is in remote area where bus goes only twice an hour :D

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Waiting with interest for Weeman's dad's take on Saturday's game. I've heard the report from our side (having been away camping in the Wye Valley - fantastic weekend) but the other side of the coin is always interesting reading!

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The only thing that's stopped me from topping myself is the thought of getting home on Friday and cricket on Saturday

weeman27bob

International Regular
Waiting with interest for Weeman's dad's take on Saturday's game. I've heard the report from our side (having been away camping in the Wye Valley - fantastic weekend) but the other side of the coin is always interesting reading!
Will try and find out. Can't promise anything though.

weeman27bob

International Regular
Assuming this is the right game:

Bowled 50 overs in an Under 11 game. Oppo 37 - 6 after 15 overs crawl to 92 - 8 at tea in 43 overs.....then bat on for another 7 overs to get to 125 - 8.

My team left 23 overs were 28 - 1 after 7 overs then 49 - 7 after 13.

Fantastic display of indisciplined batting with the best batter run out by the most idiotic! All out in 19.5 for 65.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Yeah that's the one. Bizarre, bizarre scorecard and I bet the only time this century that an U11 side in England has batted for more than 50 overs. We added an unbroken 69 run stand for the ninth wicket. It appears there was a major screw-up in terms of overs allowed - WH should have had 31... although it didn't matter in the end.

Needless to say I haven't got my batting order quite right yet...

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Another hard-fought win today for my U11s, chasing down 107, but not before a few scares having got ourselves 37/4. A very assured 49 (I never tell kids scores... I kind of wish I had done) from one of our County players was enough to marshall us home. The big challenge right now is to go from the stage where we look like we should get runs to actually getting runs - we have lots of batsmen (as I've been saying for ages) who look like they could be excellent... but in games their mental process is all wrong so they don't score. Any tips?

In other news, our second XI won by 172 runs today having bowled out the opposition for eight...