Cricket Player Manager
Page 8 of 36 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
Results 106 to 120 of 533
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Your Cricket Season

  1. #106
    Hall of Fame Member Marcuss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Above you
    Posts
    15,734
    Got a game in Sunday, can't wait. Had a good net yesterday so fingers crossed!

  2. #107
    International Regular stephen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    aus
    Posts
    3,779
    Quote Originally Posted by uvelocity View Post
    that's pretty good stephen, what type of bowler are you?

    just checked mine,
    O..........M........R........W.......BB........Avg ......SR.........Econ
    101.3.....15.......389.....31......5/11......12.55....19.65......3.83
    Legspin.

    I really didn't get a whole lot of opportunity this season because of the rain and my opening bowlers taking over 70 wickets between them. It's extra hard for spinners in low grades in Brisbane because you run into so many greentops.

  3. #108
    Cricket Web Staff Member / Global Moderator Neil Pickup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Oxford, England
    Posts
    26,876
    Time to update the thread title, I think.

    Sadly the 2nd XI's opening game has fallen through, so unless I get a shock 1st XI call-up I'll be watching this Saturday. Looking forward to my first game, whenever it comes along, with more enthusiasm than I can ever remember, too. I've been surviving against the bowling machine at 82/83mph and middling it in the late 70s, so I've every reason to believe this season will be the one where I finally make that 50.

    Coaching wise, I have a lot of sides with a lot of potential, and a great bunch of kids who are fantastic to work with. However, none of them have a high score of any note in a game of any relevance, and the difference in self-belief between batting drills and actual bowlers is stark. They're in a place with their batting where I was 18 months ago (whereas now I genuinely go out to bat and expect to get runs) - it will be a challenge to see whether I can unlock whatever's necessary to help them kick on,
    MSN Messenger: minardineil2000 at hotmail dot com | AAAS Chairman
    CricketWeb Black | CricketWeb XI Captain
    ClarkeWatch: We're Watching Rikki - Are You?

    Up The Grecians - Exeter City FC

    Completing the Square: My Cricket Web Blog

  4. #109
    International Coach Cabinet96's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    London, England
    Posts
    10,365
    First outdoor training tonight, and, of course, it rains. 1st match of the season on Saturday, really looking forward to it.
    RIP Philip Hughes - 1988-2014


  5. #110
    Hall of Fame Member Marcuss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Above you
    Posts
    15,734
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil Pickup View Post
    Time to update the thread title, I think.

    Sadly the 2nd XI's opening game has fallen through, so unless I get a shock 1st XI call-up I'll be watching this Saturday. Looking forward to my first game, whenever it comes along, with more enthusiasm than I can ever remember, too. I've been surviving against the bowling machine at 82/83mph and middling it in the late 70s, so I've every reason to believe this season will be the one where I finally make that 50.

    Coaching wise, I have a lot of sides with a lot of potential, and a great bunch of kids who are fantastic to work with. However, none of them have a high score of any note in a game of any relevance, and the difference in self-belief between batting drills and actual bowlers is stark. They're in a place with their batting where I was 18 months ago (whereas now I genuinely go out to bat and expect to get runs) - it will be a challenge to see whether I can unlock whatever's necessary to help them kick on,
    I'm in an an even more inbetween place, or I was last year anyway. Smashed Sunday cricket and friendly matches but when it came to league cricket I couldn't buy a run.

    Though in the end it wasn't so much confidence as technical, kept falling over to the offside and in Sunday cricket where I played a shot a ball I got away with it but when trying to construct an innings and defend decent balls it was just a matter of time before one hit me on the pad. Ended up getting stuck in a rut as it was for a new side and I was obviously eager to impress so the longer it was taking me to get a score the more it annoyed me.

    Have a feeling this year is going to be a good'un though.

  6. #111
    jan
    jan is offline
    First Class Debutant jan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    city of a 100 spires
    Posts
    859
    Played in the first match of the season on saturday, a 40-overs friendly. We lost by 6 wickets to medical students team (all young, fit and/or indian). I bowled one over which cost me 4 runs and was 0* not out with bat at number 11. Despite the loss it was a great sunny day in whites

    The great thing is that we played at the new Czech Cricket Union cricket ground! You would laugh at it most likely but it is considerable improvement over the old "ground." It is basically a strip of agricultural land turned into a playing field. Its located at the northern outskirts of the capital and it is a cricket-only place, first of its kind in our country.
    Hopefully I will manage to make some photos of the ground at this weekend's match .)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bun View Post
    Darn, at his age, I didn't know one needed to insert and ejaculate manship in womanship to create childship!
    left-handed batsman, right-arm crap bowler, grainy streams watcher

  7. #112
    jan
    jan is offline
    First Class Debutant jan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    city of a 100 spires
    Posts
    859
    Our 2nd XI played a friendly t20 against Barbarians CC on saturday and lost by 6 wickets.
    I was clean bowled for a duck at no.4 & my bowling 1.3 overs cost 17 runs.

    But again, a great day of cricket...seems Im still in the "enjoyment over result" stage

  8. #113
    Cricket Web Staff Member / Global Moderator Neil Pickup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Oxford, England
    Posts
    26,876
    Half the guys who will net regularly at school are ex-FC cricketers.

    This is making my batting exponentially better at a rate of knots, but having the reverse effect on the number of balls in my kit bag, as opposed to the number of balls in the car park the other side of the fence.

  9. #114
    International Regular chris.hinton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    3,335
    Keep going Neil, enjoy reading your updates

    And you have been improving as a Cricketer, and complete contast to me

    Good luck for the season

  10. #115
    International Coach Hurricane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Don't be jealous of the Georgie Pie super smash
    Posts
    10,542
    Quote Originally Posted by jan View Post
    Played in the first match of the season on saturday, a 40-overs friendly. We lost by 6 wickets to medical students team (all young, fit and/or indian). I bowled one over which cost me 4 runs and was 0* not out with bat at number 11. Despite the loss it was a great sunny day in whites

    The great thing is that we played at the new Czech Cricket Union cricket ground! You would laugh at it most likely but it is considerable improvement over the old "ground." It is basically a strip of agricultural land turned into a playing field. Its located at the northern outskirts of the capital and it is a cricket-only place, first of its kind in our country.
    Hopefully I will manage to make some photos of the ground at this weekend's match .)
    What type of pitch/wicket to do you play on.
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    I got great enjoyment in going to the game and shouting "WHY THE **** ISN'T THIS GAME BEING PLAYED AT THE BASIN?!>!?!?" to reasonably significant cheers from the sparse crowd
    Proudly against the bring back Bennett movement since he is injury prone and won't last 5 days.

  11. #116
    Global Moderator vic_orthdox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    25,555
    FTR, mycricket in Aus craps all over the play-cricket thing that England has for keeping competition/club stats.

  12. #117
    jan
    jan is offline
    First Class Debutant jan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    city of a 100 spires
    Posts
    859
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    What type of pitch/wicket to do you play on.
    In my words Id say its just plain flattened land/soil with some grass. The official description says "Wickets are turf and an all weather alternative is available."
    There is a patch with carpet as well but nobody uses it and all matches has been played on the turf pitch so far. Failed to take photos so hopefully next weekend.

  13. #118
    International Coach Cabinet96's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    London, England
    Posts
    10,365
    Weekend games have been called off by Thursday evening. I know it's been bucketing it down all over the country recently, but there's something immensely unsatisfying about them canceling a game 3 days in advance. I shall be cursing if it's sunny all weekend.

  14. #119
    Cricket Web Staff Member / Global Moderator Neil Pickup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Oxford, England
    Posts
    26,876
    Quote Originally Posted by Cabinet96 View Post
    Weekend games have been called off by Thursday evening. I know it's been bucketing it down all over the country recently, but there's something immensely unsatisfying about them canceling a game 3 days in advance. I shall be cursing if it's sunny all weekend.
    Don't worry, it won't be.

    I've gone as far as publishing team sheets for the first U11 games of the season at school, knowing full well that it's almost certainly a purely hypothetical exercise. A great shame really, as it was a perfect season opener against a weak opposition. Now we are thrown in at the deep end on Wednesday against a Cheam side who are guaranteed to put up a fight... if we even get that game.

    I am hoping the weather turns and holds for BH weekend and my first game of the summer... and then the weekend after when I get to take 20 year six kids camping...

  15. #120
    International Coach Cabinet96's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    London, England
    Posts
    10,365
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil Pickup View Post
    Don't worry, it won't be.

    I've gone as far as publishing team sheets for the first U11 games of the season at school, knowing full well that it's almost certainly a purely hypothetical exercise. A great shame really, as it was a perfect season opener against a weak opposition. Now we are thrown in at the deep end on Wednesday against a Cheam side who are guaranteed to put up a fight... if we even get that game.

    I am hoping the weather turns and holds for BH weekend and my first game of the summer... and then the weekend after when I get to take 20 year six kids camping...
    I'm gutted tbh, as I was due to be in the Firsts on Saturday.

    Only gonna get a maximum of one weekend of pre season before the league starts.

Page 8 of 36 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Grade Cricket Season XII
    By David in forum CW Grade Cricket
    Replies: 478
    Last Post: 05-06-2008, 06:55 AM
  2. Grade Cricket Season XI
    By David in forum CW Grade Cricket
    Replies: 852
    Last Post: 14-04-2007, 02:00 PM
  3. Season 7 Club Cricket
    By Mr Mxyzptlk in forum CW Offseason Club Cricket
    Replies: 49
    Last Post: 12-11-2004, 12:17 PM
  4. Cricket Season, Your
    By bryce in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-10-2004, 09:19 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •