• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Your Cricket Season

uvelocity

International Coach
that's pretty good stephen, what type of bowler are you?

just checked mine,
O..........M........R........W.......BB........Avg......SR.........Econ
101.3.....15.......389.....31......5/11......12.55....19.65......3.83

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Had some poor innings towards the end of the season. Going into the last inning I needed 25 to make just 200 runs for the season. And since joining men's cricket I have always made at least 200. Unfortunately for me but fortunately for the team our batsman got the score to 125 for 2 chasing 151 before I went in.
I hit a quick fire 22 not out and finished with 197.

Some talk that our hutt valley 2a league may get amalgamated into wellington cricket as even Hutt Districts didn't enter a team this year.

Went to prize giving tonight. Had a good yarn Heef with one of the bowlers from our winning 2020 team in the Hutt competition. Answered all my questions how the game works and how to bat in it. I don't think I would enjoy it. But he likes it especially since he is a family man. He told me that we have 4 former pearce cup players in our team. They are just a bit older now.

Last edited:

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
After 2 facial reconstruction surgeries and dodging the Reaper at the beginning of November, I am playing my fist game of cricket this weekend.

As a proud Anglo-American who changes allegiances at the drop of the hat, I am playing for the Kiwis in the annual Philippines ANZAC Test.

Cross your fingers that lightening doesnt strike twice.

Jager

International Debutant
Good luck mate. I played my first practice game of the season, I came in at 7 and probably lasted around 20 deliveries whilst only scoring 1 run. Seeing as it was my first competitive match, they decided to give me a bowl when the match looked lost. My second ball was a bouncer which earnt a wicket from a miscued hook, third ball was clearly edged to the keeper but not given. Second over, the keeper dropped a catch- I then get punished by getting carted for consecutive sixes. Finished off with a maiden, unfortunately we couldn't get their last couple of batsmen out and they won by a wicket.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
that's pretty good stephen, what type of bowler are you?

just checked mine,
O..........M........R........W.......BB........Avg......SR.........Econ
101.3.....15.......389.....31......5/11......12.55....19.65......3.83
Legspin.

I really didn't get a whole lot of opportunity this season because of the rain and my opening bowlers taking over 70 wickets between them. It's extra hard for spinners in low grades in Brisbane because you run into so many greentops.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Time to update the thread title, I think.

Sadly the 2nd XI's opening game has fallen through, so unless I get a shock 1st XI call-up I'll be watching this Saturday. Looking forward to my first game, whenever it comes along, with more enthusiasm than I can ever remember, too. I've been surviving against the bowling machine at 82/83mph and middling it in the late 70s, so I've every reason to believe this season will be the one where I finally make that 50.

Coaching wise, I have a lot of sides with a lot of potential, and a great bunch of kids who are fantastic to work with. However, none of them have a high score of any note in a game of any relevance, and the difference in self-belief between batting drills and actual bowlers is stark. They're in a place with their batting where I was 18 months ago (whereas now I genuinely go out to bat and expect to get runs) - it will be a challenge to see whether I can unlock whatever's necessary to help them kick on,

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
First outdoor training tonight, and, of course, it rains. 1st match of the season on Saturday, really looking forward to it.

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Time to update the thread title, I think.

Sadly the 2nd XI's opening game has fallen through, so unless I get a shock 1st XI call-up I'll be watching this Saturday. Looking forward to my first game, whenever it comes along, with more enthusiasm than I can ever remember, too. I've been surviving against the bowling machine at 82/83mph and middling it in the late 70s, so I've every reason to believe this season will be the one where I finally make that 50.

Coaching wise, I have a lot of sides with a lot of potential, and a great bunch of kids who are fantastic to work with. However, none of them have a high score of any note in a game of any relevance, and the difference in self-belief between batting drills and actual bowlers is stark. They're in a place with their batting where I was 18 months ago (whereas now I genuinely go out to bat and expect to get runs) - it will be a challenge to see whether I can unlock whatever's necessary to help them kick on,
I'm in an an even more inbetween place, or I was last year anyway. Smashed Sunday cricket and friendly matches but when it came to league cricket I couldn't buy a run.

Though in the end it wasn't so much confidence as technical, kept falling over to the offside and in Sunday cricket where I played a shot a ball I got away with it but when trying to construct an innings and defend decent balls it was just a matter of time before one hit me on the pad. Ended up getting stuck in a rut as it was for a new side and I was obviously eager to impress so the longer it was taking me to get a score the more it annoyed me.

Have a feeling this year is going to be a good'un though.

jan

State Vice-Captain
Played in the first match of the season on saturday, a 40-overs friendly. We lost by 6 wickets to medical students team (all young, fit and/or indian). I bowled one over which cost me 4 runs and was 0* not out with bat at number 11. Despite the loss it was a great sunny day in whites :)

The great thing is that we played at the new Czech Cricket Union cricket ground! You would laugh at it most likely but it is considerable improvement over the old "ground." It is basically a strip of agricultural land turned into a playing field. Its located at the northern outskirts of the capital and it is a cricket-only place, first of its kind in our country.
Hopefully I will manage to make some photos of the ground at this weekend's match .)

jan

State Vice-Captain
Our 2nd XI played a friendly t20 against Barbarians CC on saturday and lost by 6 wickets.
I was clean bowled for a duck at no.4 & my bowling 1.3 overs cost 17 runs.

But again, a great day of cricket...seems Im still in the "enjoyment over result" stage :)

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Half the guys who will net regularly at school are ex-FC cricketers.

This is making my batting exponentially better at a rate of knots, but having the reverse effect on the number of balls in my kit bag, as opposed to the number of balls in the car park the other side of the fence.

chris.hinton

International Captain
Keep going Neil, enjoy reading your updates :)

And you have been improving as a Cricketer, and complete contast to me

Good luck for the season

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Played in the first match of the season on saturday, a 40-overs friendly. We lost by 6 wickets to medical students team (all young, fit and/or indian). I bowled one over which cost me 4 runs and was 0* not out with bat at number 11. Despite the loss it was a great sunny day in whites :)

The great thing is that we played at the new Czech Cricket Union cricket ground! You would laugh at it most likely but it is considerable improvement over the old "ground." It is basically a strip of agricultural land turned into a playing field. Its located at the northern outskirts of the capital and it is a cricket-only place, first of its kind in our country.
Hopefully I will manage to make some photos of the ground at this weekend's match .)
What type of pitch/wicket to do you play on.

jan

State Vice-Captain
What type of pitch/wicket to do you play on.
In my words Id say its just plain flattened land/soil with some grass. The official description says "Wickets are turf and an all weather alternative is available."
There is a patch with carpet as well but nobody uses it and all matches has been played on the turf pitch so far. Failed to take photos so hopefully next weekend.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Weekend games have been called off by Thursday evening. I know it's been bucketing it down all over the country recently, but there's something immensely unsatisfying about them canceling a game 3 days in advance. I shall be cursing if it's sunny all weekend.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Weekend games have been called off by Thursday evening. I know it's been bucketing it down all over the country recently, but there's something immensely unsatisfying about them canceling a game 3 days in advance. I shall be cursing if it's sunny all weekend.
Don't worry, it won't be.

I've gone as far as publishing team sheets for the first U11 games of the season at school, knowing full well that it's almost certainly a purely hypothetical exercise. A great shame really, as it was a perfect season opener against a weak opposition. Now we are thrown in at the deep end on Wednesday against a Cheam side who are guaranteed to put up a fight... if we even get that game.

I am hoping the weather turns and holds for BH weekend and my first game of the summer... and then the weekend after when I get to take 20 year six kids camping...

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Don't worry, it won't be.

I've gone as far as publishing team sheets for the first U11 games of the season at school, knowing full well that it's almost certainly a purely hypothetical exercise. A great shame really, as it was a perfect season opener against a weak opposition. Now we are thrown in at the deep end on Wednesday against a Cheam side who are guaranteed to put up a fight... if we even get that game.

I am hoping the weather turns and holds for BH weekend and my first game of the summer... and then the weekend after when I get to take 20 year six kids camping...
I'm gutted tbh, as I was due to be in the Firsts on Saturday.

Only gonna get a maximum of one weekend of pre season before the league starts.