Cricket Player Manager
Page 35 of 36 FirstFirst ... 2533343536 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Your Cricket Season

Dan
    Global Moderator / Cricket Web Staff Member Dan's Avatar
    A small planet somewhere in the vicinity of Betelgeuse
    Starting to get back into it for the upcoming season with juniors grading, so had a bowl at some of the higher-level U/16s players we've got, focussing on finding weaknesses and keeping them quiet in the nets and seeing how they dealt with it. It was coming out reasonably well, which was nice.

Had a hit as well, without any protective gear. One of the relatively quick U/16s bowling at about 3/4 pace, one of the quicker first year mens bowling some erratic off spin, and my dad trying to find a groove with his Philander-style bowling. Incidentally the best bowler on show was the U/10s kid bowling massive indippers at me. If he's still doing that in 5 years, he'll be damn near unplayable.

I wasn't quite middling it, but my footwork was promising and I slapped a couple of cover drives -- always a good sign ahead of pre-season training. Cut shot still my weakness though.
    My sworn enemy:
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    I hate s smith.
    I give out points for style of which Steve(n) Smith has none.

finally found some form and scored 26 yesterday for the seconds(yes it really has been that bad this season that i am classing 26 as finding some form!)In all seriousness though, it was nice to finally find the middle of the bat again and hit four crunching cover drives , two of which hit the fielder and still went for four

Had to bowl also(after a year and a half) as we lost two bowlers to the firsts and came back with 1/29 off seven which i am pleased with as
    A)i am an old duffer and b) it was 27c yesterday and bowling seven on the trot almost killed me..typical as i am now off on holiday and missing four matches as a result: yeah but grr...
    Last edited by YorksLanka; 27-07-2014 at 09:08 AM.
    "Play Hard but play fair..."

The last Saturday of July traditionally has no regular competition in The Hague, but a proper 6-overs-8-a-side tournament:

More here:

https://www.facebook.com/events/813290815363315/
    Last edited by Stapel; 28-07-2014 at 01:43 AM.
    Madness. Exhilarating. Magical. Netherlands have crossed the line in an unbelievable 13.5 overs.
    It's like watching a Gayle from each end. And when one Gayle gets out.. Another Gayle comes in...

Turned the arm over last night in the indoor nets, fair to say I'll not be playing as a bowler this season after the pain that caused.

International Debutant theegyptian's Avatar
    Another warm dry week followed by a wet saturday and cricket cancelled. Really is like clockwork.

We won!
    But the rally great news: two of my team mates have broken the club record partnership. We didn't bowl that well afterwards, particularily me, but we had enough runs on the board for a safe win.

International Regular chris.hinton's Avatar
    Have had a tormented season, was 3rd xi skipper at my club but had to resign due to problems i found within the club and lack of support. I worked on my batting during the winter and regardless of how good i have looked in nets i have been unable to translate that into matches.

It will come., just need more time..

jan
    We have for the first time ever held two "international" tournaments in Prague recently. I wasnt involved due to other commitments sadly but they turned out really well imo. Great exposure for local cricket, much needed test of our facilities and our capability to organize something bigger.

The first was the Central Europe T20 Cup with Luxembourg, Poland, Switzerland and Czech Republic competing.
    Then the inaugural Pepsi Cup took place with Geneva Sri Lankan CC, Kerala Veterans Cricket Association, Romany CC, Stone Tower CC, Clapham CC and Czech XI playing.

Back to cricket in April 2015!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bun View Post
    Darn, at his age, I didn't know one needed to insert and ejaculate manship in womanship to create childship!
    left-handed batsman, right-arm crap bowler, grainy streams watcher

Concluded a long season 'in the coat' last Sunday, it had started on 22 April.

76 umpiring gigs of assorted levels. Well over 100 LBWs given - surely some of them must have been out

Highlights were my first games at Lords (OK, the Nursery End but still Lords) and The Oval and my first International (from one of the Test playing nations) player umpired.

One extremely tough and unpleasant League game. This resulted in two Disciplinary Reports (the first two I have ever submitted). One captain was done for orchestrating and leading persistent and excessive (in amount, volume and length) appeals and generally showing ill grace. He also, apparently, insulted me personally, although my colleague heard this I did not. If we'd both heard it he would have been well into the fire. One of his team mates was reported for illegal fielding (an automatic report) having left the field early in an over without umpires permission (he stepped into the trees to, ah hem, relieve himself) he came back on two balls later and happened to field the next delivery. Had he not fielded the ball we might have been able to have a quiet word of guidance on the correct protocol at the end of the over - as it wa,s penalty runs, and the automatic report, had to follow.

I admit I was quite down that evening and the following day, where I was lucky to do a game that, although serious, had two teams that play the game correctly, which helped get me back on the road.

Apart from that the League stuff was most enjoyable.

Comment of the season came in an U16s swish and giggle match involving two rather good private schools.

The ball is short and wide outside the off stump. The batsman sets up for the 'climb on' square cut that the delivery appears to deserve but the ball, after pitching, cuts in a bit. As a consequence the batsman has to adjust his shot and instead of giving it the kitchen sink gently steers it behind point.

A call from mid on.

"Ohhhhhh............. passive aggressive!................. He's got domestic issues!"

Psychoanalytical sledging!

I turned to the lad and applauded.

A fine comment wasted on the young.
    Red Hill likes this.

Dan
    Start of another season for me. I was hitting the ball well in the nets during pre-season, and started off with an even 20 opening the batting, having moved up two grades on last year despite barely scoring a run.

The opposition forfeited the game because they didn't have a team on week one, so we played a friendly 30-over a side match on week two. We bowled first, and they posted 150ish -- I didn't check the figures, but I'm pretty sure my 3 overs cost about 30 as they slogged some straight-up-and-down medium pace all over the ground at the death.

Opened up and got off the mark quickly, which was nice. Couldn't get a huge amount of strike though, and our opening stand was about 55-ish in 15 overs. Gave us the platform we needed, leaving ~90 to win at a run a ball, with our two best batsmen to come and 9 wickets in hand.

Ended up 13 short, when the last 4 overs brought about 10 runs, since my dad couldn't get any strike while he was belting it all over the place and nobody else thought to rotate the strike.

Don't be jealous of the Georgie Pie super smash
    Quote Originally Posted by Biryani Pillow View Post
    Concluded a long season 'in the coat' last Sunday, it had started on 22 April.

76 umpiring gigs of assorted levels. Well over 100 LBWs given - surely some of them must have been out

Highlights were my first games at Lords (OK, the Nursery End but still Lords) and The Oval and my first International (from one of the Test playing nations) player umpired.

One extremely tough and unpleasant League game. This resulted in two Disciplinary Reports (the first two I have ever submitted). One captain was done for orchestrating and leading persistent and excessive (in amount, volume and length) appeals and generally showing ill grace. He also, apparently, insulted me personally, although my colleague heard this I did not. If we'd both heard it he would have been well into the fire. One of his team mates was reported for illegal fielding (an automatic report) having left the field early in an over without umpires permission (he stepped into the trees to, ah hem, relieve himself) he came back on two balls later and happened to field the next delivery. Had he not fielded the ball we might have been able to have a quiet word of guidance on the correct protocol at the end of the over - as it wa,s penalty runs, and the automatic report, had to follow.

I admit I was quite down that evening and the following day, where I was lucky to do a game that, although serious, had two teams that play the game correctly, which helped get me back on the road.

Apart from that the League stuff was most enjoyable.

Comment of the season came in an U16s swish and giggle match involving two rather good private schools.

The ball is short and wide outside the off stump. The batsman sets up for the 'climb on' square cut that the delivery appears to deserve but the ball, after pitching, cuts in a bit. As a consequence the batsman has to adjust his shot and instead of giving it the kitchen sink gently steers it behind point.

A call from mid on.

"Ohhhhhh............. passive aggressive!................. He's got domestic issues!"

Psychoanalytical sledging!

I turned to the lad and applauded.

A fine comment wasted on the young.
    "my first International (from one of the Test playing nations) player umpired."

explain
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    I got great enjoyment in going to the game and shouting "WHY THE **** ISN'T THIS GAME BEING PLAYED AT THE BASIN?!>!?!?" to reasonably significant cheers from the sparse crowd
    Proudly against the bring back Bennett movement since he is injury prone and won't last 5 days.

"my first International (from one of the Test playing nations) player umpired."

explain
    I've umpired many 1st class players (current and former) and a few who have played for what might be considered minor cricket nations (such as Bermuda and USA) but in a game this season I umpired a game which included James Dalrymple who has played ODIs for England.

back on today. bit overcast
    Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    I just love all kinds of balls.

Made 3 not out off 9 balls chasing 107 today, pretty cruisy win, good for team morale
    RIP Phillip Hughes (1988-2014)

Dan
    25 off a ****load today, opening the batting.

Started off well, but just wasn't timing the ball so struggled to rotate the strike later on in my innings. Despite that managed to build a few partnerships, including a rather nice one involving a guy who went on to get a ton, and keep us roughly in position to chase down the total. Fell after 35-ish overs with the score about 130, chasing 250-odd in 60.

Was to an offie as well -- guy dropped one short on about leg stump, so I rocked back to pull it through square leg, only for it to kick up to head height somewhat randomly. Hooked it to short fine leg, who only just held on. I was pretty dirty with myself, really wanted to make it through to the drinks break about 5 overs later. We ended up 40 short of their total, bowled out with 7 overs to spare.

Apparently I was "batting really well" according to almost everyone. If that was batting well, then I'd love to actually feel good at the crease and see what happens then.

Page 35 of 36 FirstFirst ... 2533343536 LastLast

Thread Information