Page 3 of 36 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Your Cricket Season

International 12th Man Outswinger@Pace's Avatar

Icon1

Quote Originally Posted by MW1304 View Post
    Yeah so I was getting ready to play a match for my school the other day, and Mohammed Amir walks up...

I'm assuming that school cricket like Saturday league cricket is outside of the ICC regulations!

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Pickup View Post
    We made 170 all out, thanks to a last wicket stand of 55, and rotated our bowlers around as Deddington made it to 135/5 with plenty of overs to go. We then gave the ball to our usual opening bowlers and knocked them over for 137 - despite my dropping a thick outside edge (up to the stumps) at 135/6.
    Wow! That's outrageous even by South African standards!

Banned

starting cricket

Enjoy reading this, i have not started my career for the season. I'm looking for a new club.

Whereabouts are you?
    'It seems that perfection is attained, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to take away.'

Cricket Web Staff Member / Global Moderator Neil Pickup's Avatar
    All clean bowled, as well.

I've managed to scrape 11 together for tomorrow night, and I've been working on my outswingers in the nets for the last three evenings. It is currently a mixture of beamers, long hops and actual good deliveries - including one that started leg stump, swung in to pitch middle and leg on a length, and then seamed away six inches to take the outside half of the bat and skew to an imaginary gully. Let's see if I keep it to under 10/over.
    MSN Messenger: minardineil2000 at hotmail dot com | AAAS Chairman
    CricketWeb Black | CricketWeb XI Captain
    ClarkeWatch: We're Watching Rikki - Are You?

Up The Grecians - Exeter City FC

Completing the Square: My Cricket Web Blog

Icon1

All clean bowled, as well.

I've managed to scrape 11 together for tomorrow night, and I've been working on my outswingers in the nets for the last three evenings. It is currently a mixture of beamers, long hops and actual good deliveries - including one that started leg stump, swung in to pitch middle and leg on a length, and then seamed away six inches to take the outside half of the bat and skew to an imaginary gully. Let's see if I keep it to under 10/over.
    Aren't you the wicket-keeper in the side?

Banned
    Out of interest which cricket club runs the most sides on a saturday

Blackheath seems to run 9, does anyone run 10?

Quote Originally Posted by Outswinger@Pace View Post
    Aren't you the wicket-keeper in the side?
    Yes, usually, but we're hilariously short. Plus, keeping + captaining is not really the most relaxing way to spend 20 overs. Also I want to bowl for a change... a couple of overs will get that out of my system!

Emeriti 193/0 (18 overs)
    Dragon 194/1 (18.3 overs)

Quite possibly the worst bowling and fielding display ever witnessed. My figures were 0/15 off 2 overs, including a dropped catch at cover, and these were the most economical of the night. We had a 12-year-old kid field for us for extended periods as we were a man short, one of our gappers bowled a 14-ball over, and the scorers got so confused that they managed to miss two overs off the oppo's innings, a fact that no one discovered until we were in the bar later.

Unbelievable, Jeff.

I have never seen anything quite like today's game. It was a time/declaration match, played with the last hour (minimum 20 overs) starting at 5:30.

We made 163/9 batting first at a decent enough clip, thanks in main to a 78-run second wicket stand. Their dismissals brought Cheltenham back into it, but a series of efforts down the order helped us along to what was a decent, but eminently fair target off 31 overs on a pitch that had a square boundary that could have been no further than 25 yards.

In reply, Cheltenham started positively (admittedly against a field that looked like it had been set by throwing darts blindfold at a pitch diagram) but when the first wicket fell, at 26 in the seventh over, the shutters went down. We went from one slip, to two slips, to three, to four, to four and a gully, to four and two gullies, and still they wouldn’t make any effort to hit the thing. At 5:55, with the scoreboard reading 64/1, we chucked the ball to one of our change seamers and told him to try bowling off-spin.

By 6:30, we had somehow managed to squeeze 18 overs into the final 35 minutes’ cricket. One bowler returned 9-4-12-1, and the other - the first time spinner - recorded 9-8-6-5, which cannot have been recorded many times before. Ultimately, it wasn’t quite sufficient and Cheltenham ended on 82/7, but it hopefully emphasised a valuable lesson - on the importance of a positive mindset and playing to win.

By 6:30, we had somehow managed to squeeze 18 overs into the final 35 minutes’ cricket.
    One bowler returned 9-4-12-1, and the other - the first time spinner - recorded 9-8-6-5, which cannot have been recorded many times before. Ultimately, it wasn’t quite sufficient and Cheltenham ended on 82/7, but it hopefully emphasised a valuable lesson - on the importance of a positive mindset and playing to win.
    That is unbelievably good over rate. Even considering that spinners were bowling from both ends, that is impressive. Good to hear that you squeezed out your opponents.

Today was Northamptonshire U10 v Oxfordshire U10.

The chat before the game was that Northants had rotated a couple of their stronger batsmen, probably seeing "Oxfordshire" and thinking "minor county, easy beat".

This is what happened next.

Something tells me they'll be "full strength" against us next year.

Code:
    Jack Hobbs *	  	 b Alex Chapman  	1 	16 	0 	0 
    That's where they went wrong. If you're going to include ringers, make sure they're still alive imo.
    Last edited by Howe_zat; 19-06-2011 at 03:34 PM.

International 12th Man weeman27bob's Avatar
    Today was Northamptonshire U10 v Oxfordshire U10.

The chat before the game was that Northants had rotated a couple of their stronger batsmen, probably seeing "Oxfordshire" and thinking "minor county, easy beat".

This is what happened next.

Something tells me they'll be "full strength" against us next year.
    I mean, I know he'd rather old, but I expected better than just one run from Jack Hobbs...

International 12th Man weeman27bob's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Howe_zat View Post
    Code:
    Jack Hobbs *	  	 b Alex Chapman  	1 	16 	0 	0 
    That's where they went wrong. If you're going to include ringers, make sure they're still alive imo.
    I hate you.

There's also the Sachin though, I guess.
    Last edited by Neil Pickup; 19-06-2011 at 03:36 PM.

Page 3 of 36 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread Information