• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Your Cricket Season

YorksLanka

International Debutant
Agree with you both, as per my original post but having two cups and a T20 comp doesn't leave much time for replays. I think we will have double weekends for the next three weeks...:@

jan

State Vice-Captain
Are you seriously complaining that you are going to play 6 games in three weeks?

jan

State Vice-Captain
Scored 2 runs as opener and took 2 wickets in the last over in a friendly t20 on sunday. Following league match was rained off.
A local TV station came over to our ground to shoot some documentary about sports and interviewed two teammates and me. Yesterday at the time of the evening news I got several phonecalls from friends and family asking if it was me on TV. Enjoying my 10 seconds of fame :D

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Scored 2 runs as opener and took 2 wickets in the last over in a friendly t20 on sunday. Following league match was rained off.
A local TV station came over to our ground to shoot some documentary about sports and interviewed two teammates and me. Yesterday at the time of the evening news I got several phonecalls from friends and family asking if it was me on TV. Enjoying my 10 seconds of fame :D
That's great congrats on your time in the sun.

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Our 1sts yesterday - Plymouth CC - Site lool

I, however, got rolled for 93 yesterday after 37/1 off 6 became 37/4 off 10 and got worse from there. 14 wickets lost on the day, 11 bowleds and 1 lbw which hit the deck and rolled. Was a hideous, hideous pitch.

Last edited:

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
In six matches this season I've played on two decent pitches and got out early opening. Managed to actually get in on all the dog tracks but you just can't cash in the same way.

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I've had 5 innings. 27 batting at 3 on a dog wicket, 26 opening on a dog wicket, 12 opening on a road where I got the only ball to misbehave all day, 0(2) at 6 when I kicked away a straight one on a good deck and then yesterday 4 batting 7 on a pitch that was borderline dangerous.

I'm feeling really good in defense and playing nice and straight, compact and looking quite good. But walking off and being told "you were looking really good, didn't look like getting out - swore you scored more than that" is just so so frustrating.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Starting to get back into it for the upcoming season with juniors grading, so had a bowl at some of the higher-level U/16s players we've got, focussing on finding weaknesses and keeping them quiet in the nets and seeing how they dealt with it. It was coming out reasonably well, which was nice.

Had a hit as well, without any protective gear. One of the relatively quick U/16s bowling at about 3/4 pace, one of the quicker first year mens bowling some erratic off spin, and my dad trying to find a groove with his Philander-style bowling. Incidentally the best bowler on show was the U/10s kid bowling massive indippers at me. If he's still doing that in 5 years, he'll be damn near unplayable.

I wasn't quite middling it, but my footwork was promising and I slapped a couple of cover drives -- always a good sign ahead of pre-season training. Cut shot still my weakness though.

YorksLanka

International Debutant
finally found some form and scored 26 yesterday for the seconds(yes it really has been that bad this season that i am classing 26 as finding some form!)In all seriousness though, it was nice to finally find the middle of the bat again and hit four crunching cover drives , two of which hit the fielder and still went for four:D

Had to bowl also(after a year and a half) as we lost two bowlers to the firsts and came back with 1/29 off seven which i am pleased with as
A)i am an old duffer and b) it was 27c yesterday and bowling seven on the trot almost killed me..typical as i am now off on holiday and missing four matches as a result: yeah but grr...

Last edited:

Blocky

Banned
Turned the arm over last night in the indoor nets, fair to say I'll not be playing as a bowler this season after the pain that caused.

Stapel

International Regular
We won!
But the rally great news: two of my team mates have broken the club record partnership. We didn't bowl that well afterwards, particularily me, but we had enough runs on the board for a safe win.

chris.hinton

International Captain
Have had a tormented season, was 3rd xi skipper at my club but had to resign due to problems i found within the club and lack of support. I worked on my batting during the winter and regardless of how good i have looked in nets i have been unable to translate that into matches.

It will come., just need more time..

jan

State Vice-Captain
We have for the first time ever held two "international" tournaments in Prague recently. I wasnt involved due to other commitments sadly but they turned out really well imo. Great exposure for local cricket, much needed test of our facilities and our capability to organize something bigger.

The first was the Central Europe T20 Cup with Luxembourg, Poland, Switzerland and Czech Republic competing.
Then the inaugural Pepsi Cup took place with Geneva Sri Lankan CC, Kerala Veterans Cricket Association, Romany CC, Stone Tower CC, Clapham CC and Czech XI playing.

Back to cricket in April 2015!

Biryani Pillow

U19 Vice-Captain
Concluded a long season 'in the coat' last Sunday, it had started on 22 April.

76 umpiring gigs of assorted levels. Well over 100 LBWs given - surely some of them must have been out

Highlights were my first games at Lords (OK, the Nursery End but still Lords) and The Oval and my first International (from one of the Test playing nations) player umpired.

One extremely tough and unpleasant League game. This resulted in two Disciplinary Reports (the first two I have ever submitted). One captain was done for orchestrating and leading persistent and excessive (in amount, volume and length) appeals and generally showing ill grace. He also, apparently, insulted me personally, although my colleague heard this I did not. If we'd both heard it he would have been well into the fire. One of his team mates was reported for illegal fielding (an automatic report) having left the field early in an over without umpires permission (he stepped into the trees to, ah hem, relieve himself) he came back on two balls later and happened to field the next delivery. Had he not fielded the ball we might have been able to have a quiet word of guidance on the correct protocol at the end of the over - as it wa,s penalty runs, and the automatic report, had to follow.

I admit I was quite down that evening and the following day, where I was lucky to do a game that, although serious, had two teams that play the game correctly, which helped get me back on the road.

Apart from that the League stuff was most enjoyable.

Comment of the season came in an U16s swish and giggle match involving two rather good private schools.

The ball is short and wide outside the off stump. The batsman sets up for the 'climb on' square cut that the delivery appears to deserve but the ball, after pitching, cuts in a bit. As a consequence the batsman has to adjust his shot and instead of giving it the kitchen sink gently steers it behind point.

A call from mid on.

"Ohhhhhh............. passive aggressive!................. He's got domestic issues!"

Psychoanalytical sledging!

I turned to the lad and applauded.

A fine comment wasted on the young.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Start of another season for me. I was hitting the ball well in the nets during pre-season, and started off with an even 20 opening the batting, having moved up two grades on last year despite barely scoring a run.

The opposition forfeited the game because they didn't have a team on week one, so we played a friendly 30-over a side match on week two. We bowled first, and they posted 150ish -- I didn't check the figures, but I'm pretty sure my 3 overs cost about 30 as they slogged some straight-up-and-down medium pace all over the ground at the death.

Opened up and got off the mark quickly, which was nice. Couldn't get a huge amount of strike though, and our opening stand was about 55-ish in 15 overs. Gave us the platform we needed, leaving ~90 to win at a run a ball, with our two best batsmen to come and 9 wickets in hand.

Ended up 13 short, when the last 4 overs brought about 10 runs, since my dad couldn't get any strike while he was belting it all over the place and nobody else thought to rotate the strike.