• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Your Cricket Season

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Played against my team in a t20 league match. I wasnt selected and just hung around. Luckily the opposition didnt have 11 players so I jumped in.
Dropped a sitter, a really high ball I could hardly see against the sun - must admit I was really scared when I put my hands almost blindly in front of my face. Bowled two expensive overs and managed to hit my (club) teammate painfully in the elbow by slow full toss.
Then had to leave before the 2nd innings to catch the bus - the ground is in remote area where bus goes only twice an hour :D
Doesn't make sense - they had a bat - and then decided they wouldn't bowl to the opposition because the bus only came every 30 minutes.

jan

State Vice-Captain
Doesn't make sense - they had a bat - and then decided they wouldn't bowl to the opposition because the bus only came every 30 minutes.
Bad wording from me possibly.
I had to leave after the 1st innings, makes sense now?

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
My 10-year old's side has managed to complete a couple of games. Truly terrible matches though. We aren't very good, but the opponents were both horribly weak. Our batsmen were bored silly by bowling that was either two wide or too busy rolling along the ground to be hit. Out fielders were equally bored by 20 overs of waiting for a batsman to actually hit the thing. Apart from our keeper, who missed most things that came his way anyway. And our longstop, who had to field about three balls an over.

Things will get tougher this week though.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
We got thoroughly owned today. 67 all out. Scared of batting first so of course I'm making us do it.

We did make them fight for it though, 25 overs to chase it down.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Cricket is stupid.

After 10 overs today, we were 34/5, which sat nicely alongside 35/6, 25/4, 35/4 and 47/3 in our list of high quality starts.

15 overs later, we were 152 all out - following 39 (20), 29 (17) and 34 (28) from 6, 7 and 10.

This left Cothill with 38 overs to get 153, when a week ago they took 108 off us in 8 overs at a six-a-side. Yet, bizarrely, they made no real effort to chase it, and the boy who opened that day and set the tone with 18 off the first over didn't come in until number eight. Cothill were bowled out in the 35th over for 81.

We're now W4 L1 - not too bad given that I am genuinely considering getting the boys to pick Wednesday's batting order out of a hat...

weeman27bob

International Regular
Cricket is stupid.

After 10 overs today, we were 34/5, which sat nicely alongside 35/6, 25/4, 35/4 and 47/3 in our list of high quality starts.

15 overs later, we were 152 all out - following 39 (20), 29 (17) and 34 (28) from 6, 7 and 10.

This left Cothill with 38 overs to get 153, when a week ago they took 108 off us in 8 overs at a six-a-side. Yet, bizarrely, they made no real effort to chase it, and the boy who opened that day and set the tone with 18 off the first over didn't come in until number eight. Cothill were bowled out in the 35th over for 81.

We're now W4 L1 - not too bad given that I am genuinely considering getting the boys to pick Wednesday's batting order out of a hat...
Scariest moment of my life when that happened at U15 level once. My career batting average is about 2, so clearly I'm not the best batsman in the world, and we were playing a fairly competent team.

I was the last person to pick, and there was 1 and 11 left in the hat. Thankfully I picked the latter and we cruised home to the win!

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Didn't get the hat out. Went unchanged.

156/4 (20 overs). Number 6 made 51* off 27. Things are starting to click... and it's half term.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Well the weather is ****, the pitches are ****, the general standard of cricket is **** and my batting is ****.

2, 6, 8, 13, 0 is the season to date. Today's game was 63 all out and 65/8 with several batsmen dismissed by shooters and double bouncers. I managed to find deep forward square leg, the one fielder in about an acre of land on the leg side. Zero byes, however, and in a game as farcically low-scoring as this, that's got to have helped.

The school team finished W7 L1 - unbeaten since I finally settled on a batting order (although the last game saw 90 plays 50, partly due to a difficult wicket and partly due to something you very rarely see at U11 level, a genuine fast-bowling shootout: Summer Fields' quick took 7/21 as we capitulated from 83/3, and ours responded with 5-2-3-2 to take out both openers and set the tone for our riposte).

We've also had a torrentially wet district cricket week, lost both County games to the rain and hopefully our "Best of Districts" trial kicks off tomorrow. So long as it stays dry...

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
My played to abandoned record this season is played 6, 8 abandoned FTR. Shocking.

Seem to have become a makeshift opener for my teams 3rd XI. Had never batted above 8 for the team before last week but am now opening, as a result of both my improving batting and our teams terrible batting.

Got a decent 48 today. Then got one that rolled.

hazsa19

International Regular
I'm captain of our 2nd XI. We didn't have a game today; one of three weekends over the season where we don't have a game, which is ****ing ridiculous tbh.

I stopped by the ground to see how the 1s were getting on to find our opener had retired hurt, I was asked to take his place as a fielder. I managed to drop a catch and not do a lot else 8-)

Stapel

International Regular
I can't really imagine many people will be interested in the Dutch saturday league (which is the social cricket eague, as opposed to the sunday league, which has nasty features like promotion and relegation). I guess our competition planning is more about the quality of te tea and the bbq!

Apart from that, we compete in a monday evening 8-a-side T20 cup: La Toque d'Or. As we managed to bowl out our opposition for not too many (93), my captain decided to let me open the batting......, also because I had only faced 3 deliveries so far this season.

My topscore, until that day, was 24. I still don't know how it was possible, but I saw batsmen around me fall like autumn leaves, while I appeared to be anchorman..... Our opponents figured I was the one to get out! When they finally got me, I had assembled 28 runs. And my team only needed a dozen runs to win (which we did).

It was a good feeling!

jan

State Vice-Captain
Hi Stapel,
being a social league player too Id be interested to see how things work in NL. Does your saturday league has any web/fb/twitter? I follow cricket.nl but I gues its only covers the sunday league plus internationals.

As for cricket in Prague. The t20 league is over and we won, our 1st XI to be exact. Now the 40-overs league is on but one of the teams pulled out (they cant get enough people for matches) so its only 4 teams left. Our "national" and "development" teams played Hungary earlier this month and the tour was succesful. Otherwise it sucks for social players because a few matches got cancelled, vacation time is starting, people seem to be too busy to play/practice, kinda cricketless period atm :(

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Managed something incredible yesterday. A 25 ball blob. Then got triggered LBW on one I inside edged.

Blaming it all on the fact I was at a Ball the evening before with a free bar and busted my head open so was a combination of sleep deprived/hungover/concussed. I'd play it up more if it wasn't for the fact that I nailed the non-strikers stumps twice and the bloke originally at cover refused to field there when I was batting as I stung his hands enough times. On a different day I'd have had 30.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Hope it rains continuously until mid-June tbh #selfish****
Seriously, this is all your fault. Worst summer ever.

In theory I'm playing 1st XI on Saturday, away at second-bottom Combe II as we try to chase down a second consecutive promotion, but it doesn't look encouraging...

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
It did exactly what you asked, then realised it enjoyed it so much it thought it would do some more. And some more.

NEVER wish for rain.