• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Your Cricket Season

YorksLanka

International Debutant
Captained our second's yesterday on absence of Capt.we won easily.Didn't bat or bowl and my only involvement was dropping a sitter!!

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I discovered today that bowling my offies on the pads of a right hander from around the wicket wide of the crease, with a mix of a few quick ones that are slightly outside off works great when you need to control the runs. Pack the legside and sneak in a couple of quiet overs. I got tonked for a massive six down the ground off my second last ball but it worked for about 3 overs.

Bijed

International Regular
Have played 3 games since my last post, captained for 2 of them (though tbh the most important duty of the captain in the league we play in is making sure that pizzas get ordered for after the match). We won 2 and lost 1, personal highlights for me being a new top score of 9, bringing my average up to nearly 4, plus another catch and another run out. Has all been great fun, obviously, shame there's only one game left in the season.

Have also discovered that on the occasions I do get the ball to turn, it turns the other way to what you'd expect from a left-arm orthodox bowler's stock delivery, i.e a Doosra (or whatever the left-handed version is called), which I don't mind, despite trying to spin it the other way, though I am confused as to why it's happening.

Stapel

International Regular
Me facing the first ball of our innings, during our last home match of the season. Proud to play at Holland's most beautiful ground!

Batsman Bas.jpg

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
went to training for the first time yesterday. Lordy!

Bijed

International Regular
Played the penultimate game of the season yesterday and had a fairly quiet game, notable for being smashed for 22 off one over :(. Came back fairly well after that and got a wicket when the batsman just missed a nice loopy one which did nothing off the pitch, though tbf I have a lot of experience at bowling such deliveries. Also caused my team much amusement by falling over whilst fielding and taking blows the shin and knee, the impacts of which could apparently be heard from the other side of the pitch

Bijed

International Regular
Well, it was the final game of the season tonight and it as fantastic, being a closely fought thriller which we narrowly one. Had a really good curry afterwards, too.

On a personal note, easily my best game so far as I contributed a hand 1-10 off 2 overs and and retired, as the rules of the league dictate, upon reaching my maiden quarter-century after surprisingly being asked to open the batting.

In all, it's been a great season in many ways and I thoroughly look forward to the next, until then I will just have to enjoy reading about everyone else's!

Last edited:

Daemon

We've got a new coach this season who's basically banned net sessions and replaced them with throwdowns, fitness, fielding and spot bowling.

Trainings aren't as fun anymore, but hopefully we show some sort of improvement.

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
We've got a new coach this season who's basically banned net sessions and replaced them with throwdowns, fitness, fielding and spot bowling.

Trainings aren't as fun anymore, but hopefully we show some sort of improvement.
Judgiing by my own experience your coach probably has the right idea. I know that with some of the idiots I play with every 3rd ball in the nets is in the air and would be a catching opportunity in a match situation - and they wonder why we keep getting bowled out 10 overs short of our allocation. Hard going from net situation to match situation - unless you treat the nets like a match situation.

Burgey

Back in the saddle this season, playing with Burgeinho for a year before he goes to grade/ becomes a traitorous bastard in seniors and changes clubs like he has at the behest of his idiotic mother in juniors #notbitter. The Slazenger SXi has been in to be oiled and had a new face put on it. Ready to rock.

Mrs Burgey, who seriously could cook for Australia and is a genuine cricket fan to boot, will be bringing Indie the Wonder Moodle to the games and be providing the afternoon teas. These consist of home made cheese and spinach rolls, home made sausage rolls, fruit platters and home made brownies. The latter come in about six different flavours depending on her fancy at the time of baking and are without question the best brownies anyone in the history of this planet has ever tasted.

I expect to open the batting with Burgeinho and we have a bet going that I average over 80 for the season and score 500 more than him. If I win he gets a part time job and saves for the off-season tour of England next July, with me matching his input dollar for dollar. If I lose, I will be paying the lot. It's B52s standard so it should be a safe enough bet. That and the fact he's only 14 and is yet to experience my patented Strike-Hogging System (TM) when facing poor bowling. If he looks like scoring runs I also intend to sledge him from the non-striker's end about being a turncoat for changing junior teams, in order to mess with his head.

All-in-all, I'm very much looking forward to playing this season. Should be fun.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Hahaha. I look forward to hearing stories of young Burgeinho running you out week after week over the coming months.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
I had the inverse. Stirring speech from Captain Dad at drinks telling me to bat through the innings. A wicket falls the over after the break, he comes in, runs me out third ball.

Shady Slim

International Coach
first day of preseason training and i batted the best i ever have, all of that offseason training seems to have paid off

let's call this season's goals operation rolling thunder, centering around the aggressive strike rotation and reverse sweeps i've perfected with the bat, and centred around good line and length for a leggie who doesn't spin it much, as well as the famed "googliesque" with ball in hand

Burgey

If someone ever reverse swept the spinner in a team I captained I would tell my fast bowler to beam them.

Shady Slim

International Coach
reverse sweep a bit of a misnomer, reverse pull more accurate

and it's a damn good legitimate shot if you're not a **** about it, easy singles and two's through point or backward point for short balls a little too close to cut - for me it's not a filthy slog by any means

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
I'm ****ing hating the beginning of the season; really being worn down by Treasurer duties over the past couple of years at the club.

Have bowled the house down on a couple of occasions at training, other times more so-so. Haven't really bothered batting - had a good year with the stick last year, being a little more boring and playing straight. I leave all the ball machine and throw down work to the young guys/proper batsmen, I know what I need to do to get ready.

Daemon

Play the guy who shows up for training always and is super committed but isn't great or the guy who genuinely can't make it to about half the trainings and is about 1.5x the player?

We are sorta trying to avoid relegation ftr.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
As long as it's genuine that he can't make it, you take the better player.

But you highlight that with the leeway he's getting, that he has to do everything right when he is there - on time, in good nick, fit, etc. Any of those slip and he's gone.