• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Your Cricket Season

YorksLanka

International Debutant
three games in so far with three wins..poor start from me tho, 4, 17 and 4..disappointing as got myself out in all three rather than being got out(if you know what I mean), felt very comfortable in all three innings and should have done better(story of my life lol)

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Played for the first time this year with the local club. 5th bowler duties 1-41 (9 overs) and 18 (17). Victory by 2 wickets. Was bad in the field though, need to work on fitness :mellow:

YorksLanka

International Debutant
another win today in the seconds, we bowled them out for 67 so with rain approaching we decided to get pinch hitters in to finish it quickly-which they did, 9 overs..personally, didn't get a bat or bowl but took a cracking catch..cup match tomorrow so lets see..

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Played four games this season and I've accumulated 5 runs and no wickets.

Just the 18 league games and a similar number of friendlies still to go :dry:

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Just go out and slog. Get a couple away early and it'll turn around.
Tbf, I only batted in two of those. First game pretty much was out slogging and second game I just got out in a ridiculous way early. Haven't even bowled badly. 8 overs for 18 in a 40 over game today.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Full toss on leg stump. I kind of misjudged the height and pace of it and it got big on me and hit my thumb/the splice and popped back to the bowler. Borderline no ball if I'm being picky as well.

Riggins

International Captain
I got caught at first slip sweeping last season after middling a ball from a foot down leg basically straight backwards into the keepers ankle.

jan

State Vice-Captain
4-0-28-1
My first bowling figures in the league this year. Chuffed there were only 2 wides iirc.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
I am in grid lock so I am going to pass the time by posting on how to score a lower grade century.
I have done it three times in my life and had a 98. The 98 was gutting. Some mongrel shouted out my score when I was on 91 and it got to me so tip # 1 is don't ask your score and don't count your runs unless you have nerves of steel.
#2 start playing your shots earlier in your inning than you normally do. In the lower grades there will be a cap on the number of overs you have up your sleeve. Also getting off to a fast start gets you out of your shell and builds self belief.
The day I scored 98 I was batting quite slowly and then changed my mind because the other batsman was giving it what for.
#3 bat a sustainable pace. Don't try and bat at 12 runs per over even if you are really feeling it. It is not how fast you can bat it is how long can you sustain a fast batting pace for without getting out.
#4 have some rules that work for you. Every good batsman has rules and for you to make a ton you will need some. I have two rules. Firstly if the bowler has bowled 3-4 good nuts to start an over I will concede the over to him and let him have his maiden. I can always get on to him next over. The second rule I have is that unless I have entered the zone I like to block the ball after hitting a four. The benefits of this are twofold. Firstly the bowler will probably bowl a good un as his comeback ball after being hit for a boundary and it stops you getting a rush of blood. Secondly if you can hit a four and the block out the bowlers very best delivery next ball it makes a statement. The bowler always looks flustered when it happens as he knows the best he can do is get a defensive stroke out of you and furthermore he kind of knows that you are blocking him by choice and not by necessity. That is extra demoralising.
#5 after you have pushed the fielders back to the fence in all directions become a run a ball singles merchant. Until you finally get another ball you can put away. There will be a period where you have to be p
atient. Which brings me to my next point.
#6 there will be a testing period. A good bowling spell for example. The best explanation I can give here is mahela in one odi inning. We bowled 4 maidens in a row to him and his batting partner and I thought something has to give here he has to try and break the shackles. But he didn't he let us bowl the four overs and just accepted that Sri Lanka would get a lower score slightly that day and then just started scoring again when he got the chance. I was amazed by him.
#7 know how to bat against good spin. You can not consistently get big scores if you can only score off full tosses and half trackers. You need to be able to score at will against good deliveries. This means using your feet.
#8 reset and refocus at 50 the job is only half done.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
One of the guys in my team can't help but count his runs. And the worst I've ever see him do with it is to be one off (and I think we found we were missing run in the scorebook later on anyway, so he was right). I then started doing it towards the back end of the season, and I found it actually helped me concentrate -- by trying to hold that count in my head for the entire innings, it helped stop me from overthinking things too much, I guess.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
One of the guys in my team can't help but count his runs. And the worst I've ever see him do with it is to be one off (and I think we found we were missing run in the scorebook later on anyway, so he was right). I then started doing it towards the back end of the season, and I found it actually helped me concentrate -- by trying to hold that count in my head for the entire innings, it helped stop me from overthinking things too much, I guess.
Interesting.

I used to count the balls in the over when I was 14. And the other teams coach complimented for it. "I like a batsman who counts". Don't do it at this stage.

Jarquis

Find counting balls that I've faced early on helps. Has the same focusing aspect as counting runs but without the worry. Bat for long enough and you score enough at the level I play anyway.

Jarquis

I have an awful habit of getting caught off full tosses.

Finally took my first league wicket for Plymouth after 5 seasons and ~100+ wickets for other sides in that time. More than doubled my career overs for them too. 4.4 before today, 9.4 after.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Yeah there's something about full tosses. You're just not really prepared for that trajectory, often makes you play early or fail to keep it down.